• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shipping over seas pls help

17 posts in this topic

has anybody ever been scammed shipping to Australia on ebay or the boards? what are the pros and cons, as I have buyer who wants to purchase a book from me. I am a bit nervous sending a high dollar book over seas. Yet I dont want to lose a sale.

I have never had any problems shipping to the various countries where people who bought my stuff have lived. I do hear that Italy can be a little scary, but even there, my one time sending something went smoothly.

-slym

ok cool as I have never done so, he wanted to know if I would ship to Australia and how much it would cost.. I told him yes I would as long as payment cleared in American Money and I wouldnt send as a gift.

Make sure the buyer understands that it will cost $$$ for "quick" shipping, and that if they decide to go the "slow boat to China" route, it could take months. One rather large box I sent to England went the cheapie route and it took almost three months.

Three months...TO ENGLAND.....

;)

-slym

Make sure the buyer understands that it will cost $$$ for "quick" shipping, and that if they decide to go the "slow boat to China" route, it could take months. One rather large box I sent to England went the cheapie route and it took almost three months.

Three months...TO ENGLAND.....

;)

-slym

I paid a little extra for the airmail for a slab from England (I think it was about a $5 difference) and it arrived in about four days! It was a small, light box, but it amazed me how fast it got here! I think I had made a mental note to look for it in a couple weeks, and when I got it, I was thinking, "What the heck is this? I don't remember buying anything..., "

I usually buy Priority International when shipping to England, this runs anywhere between $22-$30. If you want to cover your back inform the prospective buyer to take out insurance and you will ship the item signed for. This will cost extra but if it is a high dollar book and the buyer really wants it he'll gladly pay the extra.

I have shipped hundreds of packages to Australia in the past 10 years never had a problem. You can use the Priority mail boxes to ship slabs. Surface boat shipping was elimitated a year or more ago, its only air mail. What is the value of the book?

Australian Board member checking in.

I'll clear up a couple of misconceptions, first.

There is NO "slow boat to Oz". All mail through the USPS is Air Mail. No other options full stop. For a humungous size shipment, maybe use a carrier that can utilise part of a shipping container and a freight forwarder but otherwise it is all Air Mail and expensive.

The last shipment I got cost $US42 for a flat rate box up to 20lbs. Box wasn't full, so I had it topped up with backing boards. No point shipping air.

Most collectors here know and understand all this going in. It costs. Nature of the beast and no way around it.

There is no tax or duty of any kind on used comic books entering Australia. No need to tell lies on any forms at all.

As regards the Postal Service here, it is very good. Excellent. In almost 40 years of importing books I have only had one package "go walkabout". That was a couple of years ago, an eBay purchase and I have my suspicions that the vendor simply never tried to send the books (they were cheap). The latest package was in my hands in seven days (and that included the Easter weekend).

Feel free to ask any more questions, please.

has anybody ever been scammed shipping to Australia on ebay or the boards? what are the pros and cons, as I have buyer who wants to purchase a book from me. I am a bit nervous sending a high dollar book over seas. Yet I dont want to lose a sale.

Not comic related but I've traded D&D miniatures with several folks in Australia with no problems.

The only con for me about sending stuff overseas is the wait time for things to actually get there. The longer the wait, the more opportunity for bad stuff to potentially happen.

I once had a shipment coming to me from the Phillipines apparently get lost in the system and then suddenly show up at my door many weeks after it should have.

There is no tax or duty of any kind on used comic books entering Australia. No need to tell lies on any forms at all.

You're forgetting GST - 10% on all incomings. :gossip:

Well, I've checked many many times and Customs does not levy GST on used funny books. I have never been charged a cent and have never told porkies on the form.

Have you had to pay George?

You're forgetting GST - 10% on all incomings. :gossip:

Well, I've checked many many times and Customs does not levy GST on used funny books. I have never been charged a cent and have never told porkies on the form.

Have you had to pay George?

Certainly have, many a-time. You might like to check this out:

http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/content.asp?doc=/content/13193.htm

You have just probably been lucky on your packages. Not every package (at this stage) is scrutinized for value before being released by customs.

Thank you (thumbs u - I stand corrected (sort of).

I think the bit that might be relevant is this:

"Goods that qualify for certain customs duty concessions and are also non-taxable for GST include the following items from Schedule 4 to the Customs Tariff Act 1995:"

Then, inter alia:

"items 32A and 32B – 'low-value goods' or goods on which customs duty and taxes is $50 or less and which have a customs value of less than $1,000."

I do not think I have ever had a single parcel with a value of greater than $1,000 since the introduction of the GST. I think with comic books, the value of a single issue would have to be over the $1,000 threshold before the GST kicks in. I tend to be a bottom feeder so I don't think I have much to worry about.

Sound reasonable?

expess mail is the only way to obtain some sort of delivery confirmation and if they paid with paypal you will be in complience with the terms of seller protection. its a little pricey. priority international from what i hear, omly the post office can track it for them selves and that may not fly with paypal. i have lost a book that i sent with out delivery confirmation, paypal yanked the money from my account, so the scumbag keeps the book and gets his money back.