• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who makes up these ratings?????

38 posts in this topic

Here's the deal I do not believe the Matrix will stand up like Star Wars. First off my two young boys LOVE the original Star Wars. The Matrix story is too complicated for younger viewers my boys will not watch it. If you take the Matrix and compare it to Blade Runner I believe that is a better comparison. And in the Long run I do think the Spider-man movies to have the chance of being the movies that could be a lasting classic to my sons as Star Wars was to me. (Even with the third one being a little oh crappy) Oh and YES monkeys do rate the movies I have it on first hand knowledge.

They gave the first "Gremlins" movie 2 stars and the sequel 3 stars!! I have not seen the 2nd Gremlins movie...but is it really a 3 star movie????? :makepoint:

They're both three star movies :sumo:

Sorry Gav. We were not being sensitive to your "top movies" list.

By the way, did you finally get the entire cast of "Warriors of Virtue" to sign that poster you said would be a dream come true? :insane:

I went to the cinema three times to see Gremlins 2. Loved it when I was a kid :blush:

So did I (thumbs u

Ok.

I'm gonna go out on a limb....

But the Matrix is SO revolutionary, SO cutting edge, SO ahead of it's time, I believe that it can correctly be called "In the Top 5" most important movies in the 90's, and probably the first real film of the 21st century....

Who's with me?

Top 5 in the 90s...I will 2nd that (thumbs u

The thing about the Matrix that pisses me off is that it overshadowed the heck out of Dark City which I thought was a pretty good flick and in no way a matrix rip-off.

but when the point is missed entirely and the reviewer resorts to vitriol and contempt, that's not valid as a "review."

/rant

-slym

Not to mention outright racist:

...and frustrated white guys: all the who seek excuses to justify their increasingly bad behaviour and hair-trigger tempers

Change "white" to "black, brown, asian" etc, and see how fast that reviewer would be strung up.

Here's the deal I do not believe the Matrix will stand up like Star Wars. First off my two young boys LOVE the original Star Wars. The Matrix story is too complicated for younger viewers my boys will not watch it. If you take the Matrix and compare it to Blade Runner I believe that is a better comparison. And in the Long run I do think the Spider-man movies to have the chance of being the movies that could be a lasting classic to my sons as Star Wars was to me. (Even with the third one being a little oh crappy) Oh and YES monkeys do rate the movies I have it on first hand knowledge.

Well...ok, but I wasn't talking about popular. I was talking about important.

Often, the two don't necessarily share the same path....

"Blade Runner" not only had nowhere near the technological impact, not to mention pop-culture impact, that Matrix did.

I wouldn't expect kids to watch Citizen Kane, either....but that certainly doesn't change it's acknowledged status as "the greatest film ever made."*

* American Film Institute (AFI) "100 Years, 100 Movies, the Greatest Movies of All Time."

* British Film Institute (BFI) Sight & Sound Poll, 1962-2002.

While no body really gives a chit, because this is a 5 year old movie and the fact that

I'm sure most people don't even know the critic source...

I have to say that SM2 IS a great movie...

Rottentomatoes gave it high honors well into the 96 percentile,

which is pretty impressive since it takes critics from all over

and give a percentage based on their thoughts.

Anyway screw it, I am counting the seconds to when JC joins this

thread and bashes SM2 some more.

:P

SM2 is a great movie no doubt...but my point is, is it really a 4 star movie? Is it as great as other 4 star movies? Is it BETTER then The Matrix? Under the star ratings system, I personally would give both SM2 and TM 3 stars. As good as both movies are, they are not the calibre of say JAWS or SW:ESB..

SM2 is a great movie no doubt...but my point is, is it really a 4 star movie? Is it as great as other 4 star movies? Is it BETTER then The Matrix? Under the star ratings system, I personally would give both SM2 and TM 3 stars. As good as both movies are, they are not the calibre of say JAWS or SW:ESB..

I usually ignore a system that doesn't vary more than that...

Entertainment needs a a 10 point (or greater - rottentomatoes has a 100 point) system.

Jaws is a 10...

Star Wars is a 10...

Matrrix is a 9...

Spider Man 2 is a 9...

hm

Entertainment needs a a 10 point (or greater - rottentomatoes has a 100 point) system.

Jaws is a 10...

Star Wars is a 10...

Matrrix is a 9...

Spider Man 2 is a 9...

hm

(thumbs u

or should I say... (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u lol

It's difficult to compare movies like that when they come from such different genres.

I think all four were trendsetting and caught the attention of many because of the difference of their content.

But I do love all the quotes that came out of Jaws. The scar comparison scene from Jaws is still one of the best - especially when Richard Dreyfuss (Hooper) talks about his "broken heart" from a failed romance with Mary Ellen Moffett. One of the best scenes about guys trying to feel each other out how "manly" they are.

"Blade Runner" not only had nowhere near the technological impact, not to mention pop-culture impact, that Matrix did.

This is a terribly constructed sentence. Just terrible. I shame myself with this drivel.

;)

Jaws is a 10...

Star Wars is a 10...

Matrrix is a 9...

Spider Man 2 is a 9...

hm

Jaws created an entire genre of movies (the summer blockbuster), so its importance in film history cannot be underestimated.

Star Wars, equally, is as important.

Matrix, in my opinion, tips the scales a bit in importance over Star Wars, just for what it did for the film industry, if not necessarily pop culture. But that can be reasonably argued either way.

But SM2? In the same discussion with those 3.....?

Really?

This is a terribly constructed sentence. Just terrible. I shame myself with this drivel.

;)

Might I suggest...

514B109M2PL._AA240_.jpg

:grin:

Jaws is a 10...

Star Wars is a 10...

Matrrix is a 9...

Spider Man 2 is a 9...

hm

Jaws created an entire genre of movies (the summer blockbuster), so its importance in film history cannot be underestimated.

Matrix, in my opinion, tips the scales a bit in importance over Star Wars, just for what it did for the film industry, if not necessarily pop culture. But that can be reasonably argued either way.

Really?

This is why I think the "stars" rating system should be put away in favor of something like Rotten Tomatoes 0 - 100% system...much more accurate.

;)

Might I suggest...

514B109M2PL._AA240_.jpg

:grin:

lol (thumbs u

That sentence is a perfect example of my ADD style of thinking...literally halfway through that sentence, my brain switched gears and came up with a different thought, and then FAILED TO MODIFY THE FIRST PART OF THE SENTENCE to fit that different thought.

The word "impact" should have been followed with a "but.....", not a "not....."

Oops. ;)

Jaws is a 10...

Star Wars is a 10...

Matrrix is a 9...

Spider Man 2 is a 9...

hm

Really?

YEP!

It's a a great 90% movie...

I am not alone on this one, 93% of RT's top critics agree...

:P

That sentence is a perfect example of my ADD style of thinking...literally halfway through that sentence, my brain switched gears and came up with a different thought, and then FAILED TO MODIFY THE FIRST PART OF THE SENTENCE to fit that different thought.

The word "impact" should have been followed with a "but.....", not a "not....."

Oops. ;)

Assbooger's.

:roflmao:

-slym