• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Original Comic Art Dealer is the most fan FRIENDLY to deal with ?

26 posts in this topic

Out of curiosity... which comic art Dealer(s) or Art Rep(s) are the best (and in the same breath, any ones to avoid?) to work with?

So far in my expereince, my absolute favorite is Tom Fleming @ Fanfare SE in terms of being quick to ship, having quality packaing, a solid inventory of artwork that's frequently updated and most importantly, is a real nice and friendly person who has great communication skills and customer service from start to end.

Also on my list is Ruben @ Comic Book Art Gallery

As well as Anthony @ Anthony Snyder

Just looking for helpful feedback on who's got the best service out there and also maybe get turned onto new dealers deserving of some business that I may not know of.

Out of curiosity... which comic art Dealer(s) or Art Rep(s) are the best (and in the same breath, any ones to avoid?) to work with?

So far in my expereince, my absolute favorite is Tom Fleming @ Fanfare SE in terms of being quick to ship, having quality packaing, a solid inventory of artwork that's frequently updated and most importantly, is a real nice and friendly person who has great communication skills and customer service from start to end.

Just looking for helpful feedback on who's got the best service out there and also maybe get turned onto new dealers deserving of some business that I may not know of.

I have to agree with both Tom and Anthony. They are among the best around in this business.

I'd also add Scott Kress from Catskill Comics. Anytime I've done business with him, it has always been a friendly and smooth transaction. You can't go wrong with Scott. (thumbs u

I'd also put me on the list, too. (:

James... thanks for the referral to Catskill. What is your website for art? I'd love to check out what you have to offer for sale. Thanks!

Rick:

All the art I sell for the artists I rep is on my CAF Gallery (which is linked in my signature below). I do things this way right now, to keep things more cost effective for myself and the artists. Please, feel free to head on over and check out what I currently have in inventory from my artists. :)

I have to agree with both Tom and Anthony. They are among the best around in this business.

I'd also add Scott Kress from Catskill Comics. Anytime I've done business with him, it has always been a friendly and smooth transaction. You can't go wrong with Scott. (thumbs u

I'd also put me on the list, too. (:

I wasn't impressed with Catskill the one time I came across him at a show.

I really like Reuben and Spencer Beck is fine to deal with.

Terry from Al Rio art is super nice

Barry Kitson's rep chad is nice to deal with also.

I haven't bought from Mitch but have emailed him a few times about pieces and was always very professional.

Here's a thread from a couple years ago about OA Dealer Reviews. I have a few reviews in the first post of that thread.

Since then, I've had a few new transactions with OA dealers:

Anthony's Collectibles - Anthony Snyder

I found a page I wanted and ordered using the nice web shopping cart feature. I was informed via email a few days later that the page was no longer available. This is fine and inventory moves without website reflecting the changes so no biggy. However, in the response, I got a bit of a hard sell to purchase something else. I had a couple back and forth emails stating that I really only wanted that one page and wasn't interested in anything else at this time. The response? I start receiving Anthony Snyder email updates on a more regular basis than I would like. It took me a couple months of replying with "unsubscribe" requests until I was finally taken off the list.

While I wouldn't call my experience "fan-friendly" per se, others here have done a lot of business with Anthony and I'm sure he's an honest dealer (meaning he'll actually deliver pages you purchased at an agreed upon price, a tactic that unfortunately isn't universal). Based on my experience and prices that are usually more expensive than I find for comparable pages on CAF, I won't be looking to purchase from Anthony unless something really great comes up.

Distinctive Original Art - Jim Warden

The D.O.A. website is a bit archaic and can be confusing because there's an odd alternative link that brings up outdated inventory (the link posted above is the correct link to current inventory). Ordering is achieved through emailing Jim with a list of desired pages. I think I tried emailing Jim a couple times over the last two years but never received a response. I very well could have never sent those emails though and am remembering wrong in my old age :insane:

Anyway, I sent Jim a request a month or so ago and received a really prompt reply with clear payment instructions and a timeframe of delivery. I think I paid via credit card and the page was shipped out quickly and securely and I was (shocked!!!) actually emailed a tracking number by Jim! The page arrived quickly and I exchanged a couple happy emails with Jim about comic art. Great experience overall and a nice guy to deal with. While his website isn't really fan-friendly, Jim certainly is.

Doug Mahnke's rep - our own jonjesper

I picked up about a dozen cheap pages from one of Jon's Mahnke blowout sales threads awhile back and had a great ordering experience. Tons of pages were listed and Jon somehow managed his way through everything and I got all of the correct pages delivered quickly and securely. Service was friendly and quick!

That's it for now. While ultimately delivering goods for the agreed on price in a timely fashion is the most important thing, customer service means something too. I've been fortunate in that my "worst" stories only involve minor personality differences and email spam. I'd still recommend any of the dealers I've worked with because I ultimately got what I paid for. I'd just recommend the nice ones first :)

-Bob

Ruben from CBA. He is the only dealer I have had more than one transaction with. That's not to say that I've had a lot of bad transactions, but he has been a real pleasure to deal with and had stuff I wanted. His selection isn't as large as in the past, but he has put up a few things from his personal collection on his site that I snagged.

Although he works much more with comics than art, Ted VanLiew at Superworld has a small but nice art collection and is a super guy and great art fan. Not an 800 lb gorilla in the art world, but his stuff's always worth a look.

Dan

ps Bechara Maalouf has always been very friendly with me as well. Hard to pin him down on numbers sometimes hm, but you can deal with him.

I have dealt with Tom at Fanfare, Will, Spencer, Mike, Ted, Scott, Mitch and every experience was a good one.

I have never dealt with Albert Moy or Tri State (though if I had the money I would love to as both have great art for sale)

I have made Inquiries with Anthony that were handled promptly.

The only "negative" has been with the Donnelly's...though mainly having to do with late responses (which I can forgive since people are busy) or non-responses (not as easy to understand) to INQUIRIES... which since they rarely list prices, is all you can do...inquire, so they should get back to you. And then a little bit of price fluctuation. But they have never screwed me out of a deal or anything, or backed out of one...and they have bought art from me and have always come through with payment (though sometimes it takes reminding) I have learned that until I have unlimited income, I just can't deal with them...even though they have plenty I am interested in.