• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When you decide to collect a run, do you...?

38 posts in this topic

Say you decide you want to collect a particular run of books.

Do you go after the most expensive books in the run first (the keys) because they might get more expensive over time? Or the cheapest issues? Or just haphazardly as books become available? Or maybe the toughest books?

What's the best strategy for completion?

I try to set a budget for myself and then buy the best grade copies I can in that price range. I think most people will tell you to go after keys first and then pick up the other books. This is probably the best approach, but I use the haphazard method. When a book becomes available in the run I'm working on and the grade and price are right, I buy it. I still do not own most of the keys in any run I'm working on as a result. :tonofbricks:

I go after what I can afford at the time.

I was actually thinking yesterday what my strategy has been at going after my ASM up to 100 run and I came up with what Joey stated, as well. I'm missing more than half of the first 10 but still have managed to get a nice #1, AF15, and a killer #33. But it's always been what I could afford at the moment.

I go after what I can afford at the time.

I was actually thinking yesterday what my strategy has been at going after my ASM up to 100 run and I came up with what Joey stated, as well. I'm missing more than half of the first 10 but still have managed to get a nice #1, AF15, and a killer #33. But it's always been what I could afford at the moment.

Exceptions to the rule exist. That's why we have credit cards :devil:

I always try to nail the keys or the toughest issues first, and then fill in around as i find

Probably the wisest move from a financial standpoint. Keys will go up in price faster than filler issues. And if you become unhappy with a key issue over time and want to upgrade, they are the easiest to unload.

With any of my collections, I try to go for the rare/key items first. They are the ones most likely to outpace the others in price, determine whether you can get a complete set, and are more fun to chase.

I combine the approaches... I split my comic money down the middle and put half into my "grail fund". The rest goes towards buying whatever books come along that I still need.

This way I still get to enjoy picking up a couple of books a month while saving up to buy the expensive keys.

I always try to nail the keys or the toughest issues first, and then fill in around as i find

It has been the common board wisdom ever since I've been here and this has somewhat converted me from a happy haphazzard collector to a keys first but figuring how do I do that when the Four Color run (2nd series) has 1,324 issues has left me a little perplexed. At this point, it's still mainly hapazzard get-them-when-you-can. Anyone knows where I can buy a cheap Four Color # 9 :wishluck:

Say you decide you want to collect a particular run of books.

Do you go after the most expensive books in the run first (the keys) because they might get more expensive over time? Or the cheapest issues? Or just haphazardly as books become available? Or maybe the toughest books?

What's the best strategy for completion?

Watch all venues available to you, as well as reputable web sites.

Whatever book is selling high avoid, selling below GPA attack.

If you are going for all slabs, whatever grade below the major premium. If a 9.2 sells for $200, and the 9.0 sells for $80.00 go for the 9.0

Keep track of sales, watch as many auctions as you can, and get a feel for what you are going after before buying.