• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY THIS BATMAN ARTIST.

41 posts in this topic

Chris. final question, I put the images on another website, comicartcommunity.com and there's been no response, and now I realize if it wasn't for the warzone here that i'd stumbled into there wouldn't have been any responses here either. can recommend any where else? as I say, I'm sure it was someone of some note, i'd love to be vindicated.

I bet you actually like the sketch now huh? those bats and props and the shadow, huh? huh? go on admit it....

I think the reason you aren't getting a lot of responses is that it's such a loose quick sketch that any of the tell tale markers that would identify it as a certain artists work are not there. It's very quickly done and preliminary. Even the signature is quick.

Normally, with artists who have done a lot of work or in this case a lot of Batman, you can look at the ears or the pose or the inking and get some idea. There is almost no way to tell from looking at this who did it unless you find someone who has gotten something similar.

I would try Comicartfans.com you can post the image there and ask for help.

Also you can join one of the many yahoo message groups such as Comic Art L.

There are thousands of art fans on each site, someone might have gotten something similar and be able to help you out.

Best,

Chris

Like the sketch ? I was biting my tongue from the beginning on....but I have to say this now.

I mean I have been to a ton of convention over the last so many years....and the only thing great about that sketch would be to get a "famous" name associated to it.

There is certainly nothing artistically great about the sketch.

I admit it would be great to be able to say "I got that sketch from Frank Miller"...but that's about it.

My 2 cents....Sorry.

But I hope that someone from here recognizes the signature, and I hope and I mean this...that it is someone who is well known.

No bad feelings...

Here is the list of guests I took from the UKCAC 88 poster (which I found on the Internet).

Good luck!

Bruce

Confirmed overseas guests

John Byrne

D. Giordano

Steve Leialoha

Mike Mignola

Gilbert Hernandez

Jaime Hernandez

Jerry Ordway

Matt Wagner

Ted McKeever

Trina Robbins

Confirmed British guests

Mick Austin

Jim Baikie

Martin Barker

Brian Bolland

John Bolton

Mike Collins

Allan Davis

Jamie Delano

Steve Dillon

Phil Elliott

Hunt Emerson

Brett Ewins

Carlos Ezquerra

Glenn Fabry

Neil Gaiman

Dave Gibbons

Ian Gibson

Denis Gilford

Alan Grant

Myra Hancock

John Higgins

Dicky Howell

Barry Kitson

Garry Leach

David Lloyd

Martin Lock

Dave McKean

Pat Mills

Grant Morrison

Kevin O’Neill

David Pugh

John Ridgway

Ron Smith

Lew Stringer

Bryan Talbot

thanks, wurstis, can't disagree entirely.

thanks, hannumal, that could be very helpful.

You know we should start, by process of elimination, narrowing it down.

NOT Giordano

NOT Bolland

you guys again!

I am being serious, knock the list down of people who it CAN'T be and you have a much more managable group of guys to pick from.

C

PS..I eliminated Giordano because he always signs his name and legibly. Bolland is off well, because I can spot a bolland from a hundred yards off.

Yeah, dig it...

not david lloyd (for the next page in the book)...

http://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt279/remylaurence/?action=view&current=CIMG0421.jpg&newest=1

Now that's a cool sketch.

Go through your book and knock out every guy you have a sketch from at that show. That should make it easier.

C

Okay, call me crazy here...but it might...just might be Dave McKean. I have seen him do some VERY rough type things, and the signature...if done quickly....isn't that far off from the sig on my Black Orchid piece...

Could it be? I'm no expert, but Dave's signature has always been somewhat elongated and drawn out width wise.

If we think of it historically, Arkham would be out shortly (89), but this would have been done before that, and most people wouldn't have known Dave prior to that book's release at all. Doubtful he wouldn't have been able to sign his name like he normally has thousands of times, which this definitely does not look like.

My take? It's not Dave.

-e.