• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Those DAMN Overstreet Market Reports

84 posts in this topic

I will admit, I didn't spend as much time on my report this past year, as I am already putting into it for this year...

when I read them, I really enjoy the realized or buy/sell prices...I found that gave me a "truer" read on what books are selling for... so, when I did my little report this year, I included some (good and bad)...

this year, I have already created a little notebook with market report thoughts...and this next's years will still include some sales figures, but more "analysis" from my perspective

I will admit, I didn't spend as much time on my report this past year, as I am already putting into it for this year...

when I read them, I really enjoy the realized or buy/sell prices...I found that gave me a "truer" read on what books are selling for... so, when I did my little report this year, I included some (good and bad)...

this year, I have already created a little notebook with market report thoughts...and this next's years will still include some sales figures, but more "analysis" from my perspective

I bought my first guide in the late 70's. I keep buying, and usually cut all

the ads from the front and back and just retape the cover back onto the

actual database.

I have always read the reports, and read the reports when there was

the Overstreet Monthly. If nothing else, it gave me insight into which

advisors/dealers had a basic positive or negative attitude towards things.

Mr. Bedrock, to me, of course I AM biased, has always been a positive

individual. As a matter of fact, the more beer he consumes, the more

positive he becomes..[tweek].

Some unnamed, start positive, but then start complaining and griping

pizzing, and moaning. And yes, seems tecs and actions always move

swiftly. Duh. But after years of reading reports by long term advisors,

you can get a general idea of whether you're getting the straight stuff,

or being oafalized. To the dozen or so advisors on this board, keep up

the good work.

Maybe it's because the "hot" issues are perennials. They are always in demand thus the market reports reflect that...

With the advent of the internet, and hobbyists having a compulsive disorder of one magnitude or another, it seems that all the desired comics are spoken for and in demand constantly with those that are not, generally staying the same. Add that with the lack of an "unknown" stimulus, one that could make a comic "hot", because information is so readily and quickly at hand, there's nothing to really change those reports to reflect a comic you don't already know about...

Jim

I bought my first guide in the late 70's. I keep buying, and usually cut all

the ads from the front and back and just retape the cover back onto the

actual database.

I have always read the reports, and read the reports when there was

the Overstreet Monthly. If nothing else, it gave me insight into which

advisors/dealers had a basic positive or negative attitude towards things.

Mr. Bedrock, to me, of course I AM biased, has always been a positive

individual. As a matter of fact, the more beer he consumes, the more

positive he becomes..[tweek].

Some unnamed, start positive, but then start complaining and griping

pizzing, and moaning. And yes, seems tecs and actions always move

swiftly. Duh. But after years of reading reports by long term advisors,

you can get a general idea of whether you're getting the straight stuff,

or being oafalized. To the dozen or so advisors on this board, keep up

the good work.

Oafalized. :think:

As I read through Doug Sulipa's report I thought to myself, "why can't they all be this detailed?"

Some of them are so short and so lacking in any useful details I wondered why they even bothered to write them.

I agree. I just bought the 39th edition and most of the reports are f***king useless.

I have to believe that many of those who write reports for OSPG do it for the status, recognition, and other self-seeking motives rather than actually being qualified to give an informative AND objective look at the comic market.

As I read through Doug Sulipa's report I thought to myself, "why can't they all be this detailed?"

Some of them are so short and so lacking in any useful details I wondered why they even bothered to write them.

I agree. I just bought the 39th edition and most of the reports are f***king useless.

I have to believe that many of those who write reports for OSPG do it for the status, recognition, and other self-seeking motives rather than actually being qualified to give an informative AND objective look at the comic market.

I do agree that Overstreet should exert some editorial control. It seems like they just print whatever is submitted. Some of those reports clearly aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

The key word in bold there. Motive aside, it must be impossible to be truly candid about the market without hurting your business somewhat. If a formerly hot section of the market has completely cooled off and you've still got a lot of money sunk into it, you're not going to act against your interests and say that it's tanked.

Plus, in this information age where everybody has comprehensive access to all areas of the market, such reports are always going to be less significant. The market reports should be less dry and more entertaining because of this....

Market report 20 years ago was Batman,Superman,Spiderman and Marvel mutants.

Market report now is Batman,Superman,Spiderman and Marvel mutants.

Market report 20 years from now will be Batman,Superman,Spiderman and Marvel mutants.

You don`t have to be a brain surgeon to figure it out.

;)

Some had a bumper year, others didn't.

I wonder if Americans would say banner rather than bumper. hm

There is a young lady who works in my AR who is from Australia. I like it when she says ring instead of call when talking about the phone.

:signofftopic:

Not OT:

I usually read William of Demolition's market report just to see what moderns are selling in the Tampa area.

I gotta go buy the new OSPG to see what he wrote about this year & to see down from where I need to discount my raw books when I offer them for sale on the Boards at my usual 50% off.

I quit buying price guides about 6 years ago. Useless and boring, except as a reference to use to find out where certain books are in the Gerber Books. (making an old Overstreet good enough for a very long time).

With he internet, I can find out what books are actually selling for RIGHT NOW. Not what they did half a year or a year ago.

Isn't it about time that price guides actually say that certain books aren't "valued" at a dime or even a nickel in many cases? Instead of "assuming" that they are at least valued at cover price? When some books sell for ten for a dollar, then how can each have a value of $2.95?

Oh, by the way. "Joe Collector" only has Bronze Age books I believe.

(referring to your original post, and yes, I know what you meant) :)

I quit buying price guides about 6 years ago. Useless and boring, except as a reference to use to find out where certain books are in the Gerber Books. (making an old Overstreet good enough for a very long time).

With he internet, I can find out what books are actually selling for RIGHT NOW. Not what they did half a year or a year ago.

Isn't it about time that price guides actually say that certain books aren't "valued" at a dime or even a nickel in many cases? Instead of "assuming" that they are at least valued at cover price? When some books sell for ten for a dollar, then how can each have a value of $2.95?

Beleive it or not, my referring to Joe Collector was not meant to refer to an actual person or board member. My intention was to use an 'everyman' name. Similar to what we Australian's use to refer to anybody: Joe Blow. American's use 'your average Joe', do they not?

Beleive it or not, my referring to Joe Collector was not meant to refer to an actual person or board member. My intention was to use an 'everyman' name. Similar to what we Australian's use to refer to anybody: Joe Blow. American's use 'your average Joe', do they not?

I at least knew you weren't referring to JC, but Joe Sixpack.

(thumbs u

What I find annoying in the 2009 edition is how many comic book collectors awarded themselves honorary economic degrees.

"As the U. S. economy continued in its downward spiral from 2007. . . . "

That is very nice of you to have singled me out, but I think my dual college and then law degree and the fact of how much my portfolio dropped in value from 2007 to 2008 pretty much qualified me to make a generic statement such as above without having been awarded an economic degree. :makepoint:

So sorry you found my comment annoying. zzz

What I find annoying in the 2009 edition is how many comic book collectors awarded themselves honorary economic degrees.

That is very nice of you to have singled me out, but I think my dual college and then law degree and the fact of how much my portfolio dropped in value from 2007 to 2008 pretty much qualified me to make a generic statement such as above without having been awarded an economic degree. :makepoint:

I find this response annoying. :baiting:

I find this response annoying. :baiting:

I find this thread annoying. Let's switch to more important matters.

Has anyone here never tried brisket? :baiting:

I was attempting to be discreet by not tagging your name with the quotation. However, I fully anticipated the hubris to shine brightly -- you didn't disappoint.

I was attempting to be discreet by not tagging your name with the quotation. However, I fully anticipated the hubris to shine brightly -- you didn't disappoint.

Some folks have earned the right to a little hubris.... :P