• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Those DAMN Overstreet Market Reports

84 posts in this topic

What I find annoying in the 2009 edition is how many comic book collectors awarded themselves honorary economic degrees.

"As the U. S. economy continued in its downward spiral from 2007. . . . "

That is very nice of you to have singled me out, but I think my dual college and then law degree and the fact of how much my portfolio dropped in value from 2007 to 2008 pretty much qualified me to make a generic statement such as above without having been awarded an economic degree. :makepoint:

So sorry you found my comment annoying. zzz

I was attempting to be discreet by not tagging your name with the quotation. However, I fully anticipated the hubris to shine brightly -- you didn't disappoint.

You single me out. Expect me to respond.

I could care less whether you think my comment displays hubris or not. I'm not on these boards or involved in the community to either impress or depress you or anyone else.

If you want to take substantive issue with something I wrote in my market report, by all means go right ahead and do so. But if you are just going to isolate some generic introductory comment I made with nothing more than a flippant meaningless remark, expect a response.

I was attempting to be discreet by not tagging your name with the quotation. However, I fully anticipated the hubris to shine brightly -- you didn't disappoint.
I could care less whether you think my comment displays hubris or not.

If you want to take substantive issue with something I wrote in my market report, by all means go right ahead and . . . .

. . . knock this chip off my shoulder.

Would that be the proper translation?

Your hostility towards anyone offering constructive criticism has been noted. Hence, I fail to see any redeeming value in continuing.

I look forward to every Overstreet, I'm not sure why, but it's like a new textbook to me. This year, I read the market reports more carefully, and I was surprised how so many of them, were in direct confict with each other.

It's very difficult to write a research paper when you are in sales, without being "selfserving" as Richard mentioned, but all in all, I think most of the writers, did a really great job, I was pleasantly surprised. Not something I would want to do, it's really a lot of work...

When I bought my first box of older comics at a flea market, many years ago, the first thing I did was go to a comic store, and ask for a guide. I had the best time looking stuff up...NOT that I understood the "grading" terms at the time, but it was just fun. It's a way to help new collectors get a little excited about the hobby...

One thing I did learn from these boards (and Ebay) were about underguide and overguide books...so I wish someone who has a good handle on that, and is good with numbers would publish a guide to the Overstreet guide.

What I find annoying in the 2009 edition is how many comic book collectors awarded themselves honorary economic degrees.

"As the U. S. economy continued in its downward spiral from 2007. . . . "

That is very nice of you to have singled me out, but I think my dual college and then law degree and the fact of how much my portfolio dropped in value from 2007 to 2008 pretty much qualified me to make a generic statement such as above without having been awarded an economic degree. :makepoint:

So sorry you found my comment annoying. zzz

well, I do have both a degree in Economics and Finance, so I will admit to being the one that gave mark that quote :insane:

Every year I buy the thing, and every year I read through the market reports.

And then I realise that I read the exact same thing the year before, and the year before that, and the year before,etc. It's like I have temporary Alzeimers and I've forgotten that this same s H i t appeared last year.

Joe Collector had a bumper year with High Grade Silver, but Golden Age was really slow. (Except Actions and Detectives.)

down turn. (Even Actions and Detectives)

Why am I reading this?

To come to the conclusion that there is no consistency?

Some love Ebay, others hate it.

Some had a bumper year, others didn't.

Moderns were on fire/Moderns should be set on fire.

High Grade moved/High grade went backwards.

End of rantrant

Dude , I am with you brohter, same o , new year, new gude, I've gone to buying a gude once every other year of so, or not,

B

I could care less whether you think my comment displays hubris or not.

If you want to take substantive issue with something I wrote in my market report, by all means go right ahead and . . . .

. . . knock this chip off my shoulder.

Would that be the proper translation?

Your hostility towards anyone offering constructive criticism has been noted. Hence, I fail to see any redeeming value in continuing.

Look, I don't know what you're problem is, whether with me or your life in general for all I know. I don't even remember if I even know who you are. You singled me out, and did so deliberately by your account, and now you are surprised when I call you on it? I'm sorry that you are so sensitive.

If you had a constructive comment to make, I didn't see it. All I saw was a veiled, deliberate negative - and apparently by your own admission now - personal comment.

If you want to enter into a debate with me, expect a response. Usually I try not to sink down to the level that your comment was swimming in.

So again I invite you to make a substantive comment about my market report beyond the fact that you found its introductory sentence "annoying". Please, by all means, let's hear your wisdom. :popcorn:

Otherwise, just go back to collecting comics or focus on people who won't respond back to your comments. :hi:

Well, this year's market reports had an excellent report on war comics. Fantastic job by Matt Ballesteros (sp?), and something that the guide was lacking for many years. To me, that report was worth the cost of the Overstreet.

Andy

Some folks have earned the right to a little hubris.... :P

Would that be an honorary degree in Hubris? If so, add it to the resume.

Let's just suffice it to say that Sterling has earned it and you have not , ..Noob. :)

Funny, this is year #3 for me and I've quickly realized how I really don't need to continue to purchase this guide. It's 6-9 months behind when the thing is printed and only goes to 9.2?!? I don't think I'll be getting one next year...

:whistle::D:blahblah::cry:;):/:insane:doh!(shrug):gossip::roflmao:

Well, this year's market reports had an excellent report on war comics. Fantastic job by Matt Ballesteros (sp?), and something that the guide was lacking for many years. To me, that report was worth the cost of the Overstreet.

Andy

:applause:

Funny, this is year #3 for me and I've quickly realized how I really don't need to continue to purchase this guide. It's 6-9 months behind when the thing is printed and only goes to 9.2?!? I don't think I'll be getting one next year...

:whistle::D:blahblah::cry:;):/:insane:doh!(shrug):gossip::roflmao:

Uh , gotta enough gramlan's there Dave ? lol

I Read the thread and I don't see what all the heat is about on Zaid's report. Did he say something wrong no and actually saying he's picking up things was interesting considering nothing is unearthing in my area right now. I guess I need to wait for some collectors to die hey Zaid said it not me. Good report I don't think anything was out of line. Also I was glad to see Frank from Metropolis was able to put in his two cents I've ordered from him on the phone a couple of times last year and he was very pleasant even as I was trying to low ball him on books. The OSPG is what it is if you don't like it don't buy it and don't be jealous because someone is a contributor and your not. Sorry about the mini rant.

I Read the thread and I don't see what all the heat is about on Zaid's report. Did he say something wrong no and actually saying he's picking up things was interesting considering nothing is unearthing in my area right now. I guess I need to wait for some collectors to die hey Zaid said it not me. Good report I don't think anything was out of line. Also I was glad to see Frank from Metropolis was able to put in his two cents I've ordered from him on the phone a couple of times last year and he was very pleasant even as I was trying to low ball him on books. The OSPG is what it is if you don't like it don't buy it and don't be jealous because someone is a contributor and your not. Sorry about the mini rant.

There wasn't anything wrong with Zaid's report.

It was just tabcom's day to pop out his hard-on for Zaid.

:P

:sick:

(my favorite gremlin, it seems)

Agreed. I dislike Zaid as much as anyone but he was ok by me on this one.

:grin:

Agreed. I dislike Zaid as much as anyone but he was ok by me on this one.

:grin:

Honestly I've lost track of whose turn it is to flame whom. At last count, we had a barrage of shyster talk, so it must be the chaim yankel's turn. :popcorn:

I gotta say...as much as I would like to get the Overstreet (love the JKSnyder covers), mostly it's so I can fairly price books I put on the boards.

But I find I don't need it since mostly $1-$5 books is what moves here, but also...I agree...the fact that the guide is so far behind the market AND that it only goes to 9.2 is a joke.

9.2 in our world is NM- and there's no true NM or NM+ in there.

And dealers price above guide so there is no real "guide" for us anyway.

Or dealers price above Wizard.