• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question about color touch .... doesn't it bleed though the cover?

21 posts in this topic

I don't tend to buy high grade unslabbed stuff, so I have never been burned by buying a book that had color touch.

But I want to know how to spot it in case I buy a high grade book raw and want to slab it, so that I don't end up with a purple label book.

I don't see how people get fooled by color touch. I would think it would be easy to spot?

As an experiment, I took a worthless comic with a black cover and touched a black magic marker against the color breaks on the spine. The result was massive bleed through of the ink to the inside of the cover.

It would seem to me that if you tried to color touch a comic, you would see it immediately on the inside of the cover.

Am I missing something here?

You're missing a lot. Not all amateur color touch will bleed through. It could be done with colored pencil. Pros use acrylic paints that don't go through and can be removed.

Search a little in the grading and resto forum and questions on detection will be better answered.

Quick answer.. If a marker is used to CT a book it may or not bleed through depending on what type of marker it was, how much was applied in one area amd how thin the paper is. Sometimes crayons and pencils are used and do not bleed through but look totally different when viewed at an angle.

Traditional CT is applied with a brush(paints) and does not bleed through, but is easily spotted when the comic is viewed at an angle under light. Even if re glossed the areas that were CT'ed never have the same texture as the original inked areas.

Yes. Only amateur color touch done with felt tip pens, sharpies, etc bleed through. Color touch done by a professional, using acrylic paints or other media, does not bleed through into the interior and is harder to spot.

Yes. Only amateur color touch done with felt tip pens, sharpies, etc bleed through. Color touch done by a professional, using acrylic paints or other media, does not bleed through into the interior and is harder to spot.

And as Ze-Man pointed out, not all Amateur CT bleed through. Poor CT jobs do but not all. I've bought some books listed as having CT and I'm still trying to find out where it's at. It's trickier than it seems.

And as Ze-Man pointed out, not all Amateur CT bleed through. Poor CT jobs do but not all. I've bought some books listed as having CT and I'm still trying to find out where it's at. It's trickier than it seems.

Especially in the case of Hammer type CT'ed books. Many times it is literally just a dot or two on the black line of the spine. Not easy to spot given how small an area it was that was hit with a pen/marker.

That's why books with slight pro color touch are such a good value for your money...think about it, you're getting a significant discount for a defect that you can't even SEE. Color touch can also be applied with actual printer's ink with no bleed through...but it isn't reversable.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

OK, so what is the best way to identify color touch on a book?

Ultra violet light?

Traditional CT is applied with a brush(paints) and does not bleed through, but is easily spotted when the comic is viewed at an angle under light. Even if re glossed the areas that were CT'ed never have the same texture as the original inked areas.

-slym

I've always felt that a pro CT that is very minimal should not be hammered in value as much as a Pro-restore which includes piece replacement or any other work.

You have a scarce comic that has a predominately yellow cover or background...and someone along the way droped a tiny speck of blue paint or other media on it. Sure it gets knocked down from it's otherwise 9.0 state.

But if the spot of paint were yellow and matched the background. Color Touch!! OMG this comic has been restored!!!

Just doesn't seem right to knock the value of the otherwise 9.0 appearance to half value or to VG and have it labeled PLOD. A restored comic that has had work done to it..yes.

my 2c

Quick answer.. If a marker is used to CT a book it may or not bleed through depending on what type of marker it was, how much was applied in one area amd how thin the paper is. Sometimes crayons and pencils are used and do not bleed through but look totally different when viewed at an angle.

My color touch of choice is a marks-a lot , and I encourage my buyers to refrain from using any ultraviolet light that could reveal this on any of my books. :whistle:

My color touch of choice is a marks-a lot , and I encourage my buyers to refrain from using any ultraviolet light that could reveal this on any of my books. :whistle:

Hey, Sir Marks-A-Lot, I can't refrain myself from this.............. :makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint:

Hey, Sir Marks-A-Lot, I can't refrain myself from this.............. :makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint:

Beat me to it . . . :grin: Hey guys! :hi:

What up Diva ? Get in line . :makepoint:

What up Diva ? Get in line . :makepoint:

Oh yeah ! :hi:

:acclaim:

:hi: