• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neal Adams versus Bernie Wrightson

211 posts in this topic

Maybe that will change one day and everyone will be seeking out all Wrightson slabs. But I doubt it.

I would hope that, if people were seeking out Wrightson art, slabs would be the last thing they'd consider buying. doh!

Why not? This is EXACTLY what fans of Adams art do?

Didnt Wrightson have some kind of hand injury?Seems I read something about that.

Some of Wrightsons art is truly ground breaking,such as Frankenstein.Those pages belong in a museum.Some of his art is very average.Adams is more cosistant .

Some of his art is very average.Adams is more cosistant .

Excellent point, I've seen some pretty weak stuff by Bernie. I don't think you can say one is better than the other though, as they excel in different stylistic areas. Adams has no peer is capturing dynamic realism, and I have yet so see anyone who creates dark moody atmospherics the way Wrightson can.

Who is better? Depends on which style you prefer.

Tough choice...on the one hand you have Wrightson who did one of the best horror covers ever:

791_4_206.jpg

And on the other hand you have Adams who did some great work on Batman:

141_4_000000244.jpg

hm

I personally will go with Adams.. (thumbs u

Maybe that will change one day and everyone will be seeking out all Wrightson slabs. But I doubt it.

I would hope that, if people were seeking out Wrightson art, slabs would be the last thing they'd consider buying. doh!

Why not? This is EXACTLY what fans of Adams art do?

No, I think fans of the ART, whether Wrightson's or Adams', probably buy raw. (thumbs u

Didnt Wrightson have some kind of hand injury?Seems I read something about that.

Yes, I believe that it was as slip & fall or something like that. He had to retrain himself how to draw. He discussed it at length in an old comiczone interview with Vinnie from Metro.

I think the art directors of the day made the right choices in respect to those two. I am grateful that we had them both. Wrightson was born to do horror and it shows.As for Batman and GL/GA....no one else but Adams could have pulled off what he did, DC was shooting for a more melodramatic cinematic approach and Adams was the best choice. I was buying books off the stands back then and let me tell you....those Adams books outshone almost everything else available. That being said, I would probably still prefer to have a framed Frankenstein original than any of Neil's stuff....but I can't deny that Adams reinvented the comic book.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Back in the early 70's a highgrade Adams Strange Adventures cost more than an X-MEN # 1.

They are both great, great artists.

But to add to the Adams shocked thing, I'll say that he had an impossibly long neck fetish, too.

But to add to the Adams shocked thing, I'll say that he had an impossibly long neck fetish, too.

Don't forget the arthritic fingers...GOD BLESS...

P.S. Putting together a complete run of all Adams interior stories back in the 70's was a real blast...and more difficult than you would think.No one wanted to get off of them.

P.S. Putting together a complete run of all Adams interior stories back in the 70's was a real blast...and more difficult than you would think.No one wanted to get off of them.

The interior art is much better than the cover in my opinion.

1814692-Batman251splash.JPG

I remember when Wrightson did Batman: The Cult, that he got into some hot water for ripping off panels from Miller's Dark Knight. Anyone else remember the details?

Wrightson's Frankenstein is simply one of the greatest works of illustration ever produced. Adams never reached that lofty height, but his day to day work was better in my opinion.

Conan #37 is one heck of a cover!

Don't forget the arthritic fingers...GOD BLESS...

At one point I had 99% of all Neal Adams books.Being a young adult at the time I sold them.Those Archie Joke Books were classic.