• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swine Flu and San Diego ??

79 posts in this topic

Just wondering about these kind of things.....these horrible diseases and how they spread and if anyone here has any medical experience or knowledge about if and when this thing can be contained? San Diego is pretty dang close to Mexico....if you know what I mean :(

I've heard that the swine flu is no worse than a normal flu and doesn't spread any easier. I don't understand why it's getting the press it is.

Based on the numbers of dead in Mexico compared to the number of sick it seems like a rather high mortality rate for an influenza virus.

The thing that has people scared is that the seasonal flu shares several factors and traits from year to year and our immune system is set to handle the majority of it. However, when a flu strain jumps from one species to another it becomes something that our bodies are not set up to fight off and thus becomes far more deadly and far more likely to cause serious illness.

Add to that the fact that the earliest we are going to see a vaccine that can handle this strain is September and I can see how people might have their undies in a bunch, especially if you have kids.

C

I heard on the news today that the vast majority of deaths attributed to swine flue in Mexico actually have not been confirmed to be from that strain at all.

And hasn't Tamiflu been very effective in battling the virus?

I have a friend in a nursing program, so I'll just copy and paste from her journal:

"...just a mutated flu virus. It's a respiratory infection that can be transfered human to human and will not necessarily kill you - if you seek treatment. The strain in the US is already documented to be mild. So, quit freaking out everybody.

Yes, the swine flu can kill you. So can the regular flu. To put it in perspective, a paper cut can kill you. You can get a paper cut and then MRSA can infect the cut and you can die. You also can get hit by a bus, or in some poor guy's case in my area, a trash truck at 2:00am. SOMETHING is going to kill us all. But I'm pretty sure it's not going to be the swine flu. THE END."

We have 6 reported cases in Maryland, 3 in Baltimore alone, but all of the people who got it are recovering and did not need hospitalization.

Just wondering about these kind of things.....these horrible diseases and how they spread and if anyone here has any medical experience or knowledge about if and when this thing can be contained? San Diego is pretty dang close to Mexico....if you know what I mean :(

I've heard that the swine flu is no worse than a normal flu and doesn't spread any easier. I don't understand why it's getting the press it is.

Based on the numbers of dead in Mexico compared to the number of sick it seems like a rather high mortality rate for an influenza virus.

The thing that has people scared is that the seasonal flu shares several factors and traits from year to year and our immune system is set to handle the majority of it. However, when a flu strain jumps from one species to another it becomes something that our bodies are not set up to fight off and thus becomes far more deadly and far more likely to cause serious illness.

Add to that the fact that the earliest we are going to see a vaccine that can handle this strain is September and I can see how people might have their undies in a bunch, especially if you have kids.

C

I heard on the news today that the vast majority of deaths attributed to swine flue in Mexico actually have not been confirmed to be from that strain at all.

And hasn't Tamiflu been very effective in battling the virus?

It's going to be hard to trust most of the data coming out of mexico, but if even half of the deaths are from this virus it's a large total.

Tamiflu shortens the duration of symptoms by 1 or 2 days from the expected 7-14 day duration. It may also lessen the severity of some symptoms, but it's obviously not a vaccine, preventative, or cure.

Taking this too seriously is probably better than not taking it seriously enough.

C

swine_flu.jpg

800 pound pig

That's Watson's cousin.

He hit it. :gossip:

more like fell in it :bump:

This really isn't fun since he's asleep and can't defend himself. :(