• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does it look like a 9.4 to you ??

118 posts in this topic

That big number in the left hand corner certainly looks like a 9.4 to me!

Which simply means that in someone's opinion, it's a '9.4'...whatever the hell that might be. (shrug)

Nick,

Did you grade any of your personal collection that you sold recently?Just curious how they might have come out.

Which simply means that in someone's opinion, it's a '9.4'...whatever the hell that might be. (shrug)

Nick,

Did you grade any of your personal collection that you sold recently?Just curious how they might have come out.

Dennis,

None of the slabs I sold had actually been submitted by myself. The raw books I have will, I hope, remain with me, and out of slabs, for the forseeable future. :wishluck:

Never buy a slab without a scan. Forest Gump would say, "buying a CGC slab (unseen) is like a box of chocolates..., you never know what you're going to get."

I've seen a few 9.4s with this type and/or worse damage. Someone had posted even worse examples lately of some kind of pedigree or collection books that appeared way overgraded.

Buy the book and not the slab. I would never pay a 9.4 price for book that certainly appears to be 9.0.

Nick,

Dennis,

None of the slabs I sold had actually been submitted by myself. The raw books I have will, I hope, remain with me, and out of slabs, for the forseeable future. :wishluck:

I will keep my fingers crossed also.

Just wondering if your 9.0 came in at 9.0 or 9.2 (thumbs u

(if you had graded them)

And CGC will knock 2 full grades off a book for a next to invisible stain but they still call this a 9.4? :screwy: I've always said that they should probably weight defects based on the impact it has on the books overall appearance.

This is so true. CGC will hammer a book for the smallest stain or spot, especially on a back white cover. Ive got a beautiful FF. # 48 with same exact little corner crease. I probably wont ever send it in cause im afraid it will come back 8.5 at best.

DRX

Is there a color breaking crease on the spine right near "introducing"?

I agree this book isn't a 9.4 with that corner crease. (or shouldn't be a 9.4); 9.2 at best.

And CGC will knock 2 full grades off a book for a next to invisible stain but they still call this a 9.4? :screwy: I've always said that they should probably weight defects based on the impact it has on the books overall appearance.

This is so true. CGC will hammer a book for the smallest stain or spot, especially on a back white cover. Ive got a beautiful FF. # 48 with same exact little corner crease. I probably wont ever send it in cause im afraid it will come back 8.5 at best.

DRX

I saw a beautiful 48 with no crease and a small stain on the back cover.Came back a 9.0

Never buy a slab without a scan. Forest Gump would say, "buying a CGC slab (unseen) is like a box of chocolates..., you never know what you're going to get."

I've seen a few 9.4s with this type and/or worse damage. Someone had posted even worse examples lately of some kind of pedigree or collection books that appeared way overgraded.

Buy the book and not the slab. I would never pay a 9.4 price for book that certainly appears to be 9.0.

You would just crack it out anyway :makepoint::foryou:

It's funny....the whole slabbing concept was INVENTED to facilitate sight-unseen trading.

PCGS (the coin folks) was chartered with the express purpose that member dealers would accept for purchase...sight unseen....PCGS' grade on a coin.

Of course, this was before the internet and the easy transmission of photos...but still....

DRX

I saw a beautiful 48 with no crease and a small stain on the back cover.Came back a 9.0

That was mine. (thumbs u

With the "buy the book, not the grade" idea, would I be able to get a 9.4 price?

Probably not. lol That only works one way... down.

DRX

That was mine. (thumbs u

With the "buy the book, not the grade" idea, would I be able to get a 9.4 price?

Probably not. lol That only works one way... down.

Not always true. I once bought a book graded initially by CGC as 8.0 (in 2005), cracked it and decided several months after to re-submit it. Only this time I got a...9.2 !!!!

That book was the same and I did NOT press it !!! but the label did change significantly. Does a different grading team can make such a difference ?? Were CGC in bad mood the 1st time ? Does submitting through a big seller the 2nd time makes such a difference ? or did CGC miss some defects the 2nd time ? (shrug)

Yes, indeed, ALWAYS BUY THE BOOK, NEVER THE LABEL ! :sumo:

It's funny....the whole slabbing concept was INVENTED to facilitate sight-unseen trading.

'Funny' is one way of putting it. :insane:

I now find myself in the position where the only books I would buy sight unseen are raw from certain dealers whose grading I trust.

Slabs unseen? Never again. Not in a million years...it's a mug's game. doh!

CGC's opinion, and that's whose slab it is. If you don't agree with the opinion, don't buy the book.

DRX

I think I understand their reasoning for doing so.

A stain affects the actual paper fibre itself across a much larger area than a crease or a stress. That's why stains can carry so much weight when grading a book. Also the type of stain will also determine the grade...water as compared to something like oil will likely cause the final grade to differ methinks.

That's not SCS. There are many 9.4 books out there with corner creases. There is more to grading a book than just the defects that you can see...and that crease is pretty small when you hold the book in hand.

9.4 does not mean flawless, it means a small amount of wear.

R.

Well, the crease is small indeed but for a 9.4 it is huge, and it DOES break colors if you look carefully, no way this can be a 9.4. Never will I personally grade such a book as 9.4

Tha Hawkman #1 CGC 9.0 I sold you a few years ago looks much better IMHO. And if there are actually many 9.4 books out there with corner creases, I will start panicking.

I wonder when this book has been graded. I found that the same book can receive very different grades depending on which year it was graded.

Again, the old adage comes true once more: ALWAYS BUY THE BOOK, NEVER THE LABEL !!

That Hawkman #1 was a gorgeous 9.0 but it did have two deep and fairly prominent spine stresses at the top staple...and they were much more prominent in hand than this crease seems to be...

I did end up resubbing the book because one grader had given the book a 9.2. It came back a 9.0 second time around too.

hawkman1vfnm.jpg

You guys and gals need to remember a few things...grading from a scan is difficult. A book can look one way and be something completely different in hand.

For example, you can have a crease or indent break color on a color like purple, black or yellow (these colors from what I hear are traditionally more brittle than other colors), but they crease or indent may not actually break paper fibre.

What I'm saying is that the defect may seem different in a scan than in hand.

A crease that breaks paper fibre may look exactly like a crease that only breaks color in a scan but may appear different when examined in hand.

You can have spine stress that breaks color and you can have spine stress that break color AND indent the paper and those two will grade out differently.

On the Hawkman #1 above that I posted the two stresses seem relatively non invasive but they did indent the paper (I remember it vividly) hence the 9.0 grade. Has the spine kept more of it's original shape the book may have had a better shot at 9.2.

Something to think about...

'Funny' is one way of putting it. :insane:

I now find myself in the position where the only books I would buy sight unseen are raw from certain dealers whose grading I trust.

If I were getting back into the hobby, there are two guys I would buy raw from, sight unseen; the Blazing one, and some dude named Nick from the U.K. I only hope he's back to selling whenever I get back to buying. :wishluck:

CGC's opinion, and that's whose slab it is. If you don't agree with the opinion, don't buy the book.

I have no intention of doing so, as you well know, so your point is...what, precisely? (shrug)

Does the Big Number mean that people can't actually question CGC's grading standards, given that we seem to rip to pieces every other er's opinion on grades? (shrug)

That's not SCS. There are many 9.4 books out there with corner creases. There is more to grading a book than just the defects that you can see...and that crease is pretty small when you hold the book in hand.

9.4 does not mean flawless, it means a small amount of wear.

R.

Well, the crease is small indeed but for a 9.4 it is huge, and it DOES break colors if you look carefully, no way this can be a 9.4. Never will I personally grade such a book as 9.4

Tha Hawkman #1 CGC 9.0 I sold you a few years ago looks much better IMHO. And if there are actually many 9.4 books out there with corner creases, I will start panicking.

I wonder when this book has been graded. I found that the same book can receive very different grades depending on which year it was graded.

Again, the old adage comes true once more: ALWAYS BUY THE BOOK, NEVER THE LABEL !!

That Hawkman #1 was a gorgeous 9.0 but it did have two deep and fairly prominent spine stresses at the top staple...and they were much more prominent in hand than this crease seems to be...

I did end up resubbing the book because one grader had given the book a 9.2. It came back a 9.0 second time around too.

hawkman1vfnm.jpg

Not surprised it got the same grade. This Hawkman #1 is very accurately graded at 9.0. I would buy it with no hesitation if I needed that book for my collection.

The TOS #52 has a corner crease that breaks colors and slight bends on the top edge of the back cover. It rather looks like a 9.0 to me, 9.2 at the very best. Show me both books raw and unslabbed and I would choose the Hawkman #1 without any hesitation. We could argue which one is the best 9.0 but it is a matter of different taste and preferences. Problem is that the TOS #52 is a 9.0 book in a 9.4 slab. I would never buy a book like that.

I have no intention of doing so, as you well know, so your point is...what, precisely? (shrug)

Does the Big Number mean that people can't actually question CGC's grading standards, given that we seem to rip to pieces every other er's opinion on grades? (shrug)

Im late to the party again. But are you threatening people with logic Nick?

I couldnt remove FD's quote, so this is not directed towards him.