• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does it look like a 9.4 to you ??

118 posts in this topic

That's not SCS. There are many 9.4 books out there with corner creases. There is more to grading a book than just the defects that you can see...and that crease is pretty small when you hold the book in hand.

9.4 does not mean flawless, it means a small amount of wear.

R.

Well, the crease is small indeed but for a 9.4 it is huge, and it DOES break colors if you look carefully, no way this can be a 9.4. Never will I personally grade such a book as 9.4

Tha Hawkman #1 CGC 9.0 I sold you a few years ago looks much better IMHO. And if there are actually many 9.4 books out there with corner creases, I will start panicking.

I wonder when this book has been graded. I found that the same book can receive very different grades depending on which year it was graded.

Again, the old adage comes true once more: ALWAYS BUY THE BOOK, NEVER THE LABEL !!

the TOD 10 CGC 9.4 that nik just bought has the same color breaking corner crease.

tod10-1.jpg

It is the size of the crease that makes the difference between a 9.0, 9.2, 9.4 or higher.

R.

Which is where CGC and I go our seperate ways.

NMs with corner creases?

Like .

I agree 100% with you on this, Nick :thumbsup:

Hey, Thomas! :hi:

How's life treating you, mate? Things getting sorted out? :wishluck:

It is the size of the crease that makes the difference between a 9.0, 9.2, 9.4 or higher.

R.

NMs with corner creases?

Like .

I'm just stating how CGC grades books from what I know. The size of the crease will determine the grade. Sure some people will have preferences just like some people will have preferences to miswrap, miscut, spine stress and tanning but it is what it is. I called the graders notes and it's a 9.4 (by all three graders) with a corner crease (not SCS).

They also stated slight bends on the top edge of the back cover in the notes.

R.

R.

NMs with corner creases?

Like .

Hey, Thomas! :hi:

How's life treating you, mate? Things getting sorted out? :wishluck:

Not really :shrug: , but trying to deal with it my friend

That's not SCS. There are many 9.4 books out there with corner creases. There is more to grading a book than just the defects that you can see...and that crease is pretty small when you hold the book in hand.

9.4 does not mean flawless, it means a small amount of wear.

R.

Well, the crease is small indeed but for a 9.4 it is huge, and it DOES break colors if you look carefully, no way this can be a 9.4. Never will I personally grade such a book as 9.4

Tha Hawkman #1 CGC 9.0 I sold you a few years ago looks much better IMHO. And if there are actually many 9.4 books out there with corner creases, I will start panicking.

I wonder when this book has been graded. I found that the same book can receive very different grades depending on which year it was graded.

Again, the old adage comes true once more: ALWAYS BUY THE BOOK, NEVER THE LABEL !!

the TOD 10 CGC 9.4 that nik just bought has the same color breaking corner crease.

tod10-1.jpg

Hard to see from the scan, but if it is the case, then it is another overgraded book.

NO WAY a book with a crease that breaks colors like the TOS #52 should deserve a grade of 9.4.

R.

NMs with corner creases?

Like .

I'm just stating how CGC grades books from what I know. The size of the crease will determine the grade. Sure some people will have preferences just like some people will have preferences to miswrap, miscut, spine stress and tanning but it is what it is. I called the graders notes and it's a 9.4 (by all three graders) with a corner crease (not SCS).

R.

Three grades of 9.4 ???!!! :o :o :o

I am curious, which year has this book been graded ?

That big number in the left hand corner certainly looks like a 9.4 to me!

Agreed and if one does not believe the numerical grade and the book match, then don't purchase the book.

R.

NMs with corner creases?

Like .

R.

Roy, I know you were communicating CGC's position, not necessarily your own. (thumbs u

However, don't forget, folks, CGC's grade is only an opinion and, in the case of corner creases being allowed on NMs...their opinion is wrong. doh!

So, if you have a book that would grade 9.6 or maybe even 9.8 ( I'm not refering to any books listed here) if not for a small corner fold, you would drop it down to a 9.2? I would think that if it's not very noticable and there are no other defects it could still get a 9.4 but heck what do I know. :)

R.

NMs with corner creases?

Like .

R.

Roy, I know you were communicating CGC's position, not necessarily your own. (thumbs u

However, don't forget, folks, CGC's grade is only an opinion and, in the case of corner creases being allowed on NMs...their opinion is wrong. doh!

You are totally right and I agree 100% (thumbs u

I've seen faint cbc creases like this that also received 9.4, so the grade doesn't appear to be THAT out of control, but I can definitely appreciate the scrutiny of not wanting this defect on a $6k book. Given book conditions having that defect on a 9.4 isn't totally out of the question based on bronze books I see on a regular basis. Whether or not you agree with CGC's assessment of that defect in that grade range is debatable.

Oh, and Danny is right. There are two places on the bc where SCS has affected the book. As is right now I think it is a 9.0-9.2 book. Kudos to the seller for showing that defect up front, although I don't understand why the remainder of the fc isn't being displayed.

So, if you have a book that would grade 9.6 or maybe even 9.8 ( I'm not refering to any books listed here) if not for a small corner fold, you would drop it down to a 9.2? I would think that if it's not very noticable and there are no other defects it could still get a 9.4 but heck what do I know. :)

I certainly would, and do. Hell, not even sure I'd be comfortable with a 9.2? (shrug)

There are certain defects that should have a 'grade ceiling'...water damage certainly does, loose centrefold does, loose cover does, subscription crease does...and a colour-breaking corner crease is one of them.

The Qualified grade is a total cop-out, IMHO. (thumbs u

That big number in the left hand corner certainly looks like a 9.4 to me!

Which simply means that in someone's opinion, it's a '9.4'...whatever the hell that might be. (shrug)

And CGC will knock 2 full grades off a book for a next to invisible stain but they still call this a 9.4? :screwy: I've always said that they should probably weight defects based on the impact it has on the books overall appearance.

There are certain defects that should have a 'grade ceiling'...water damage certainly does, loose centrefold does, loose cover does, subscription crease does...and a colour-breaking corner crease is one of them.

My personal preference is to agree with you here...obviously CGC does not weigh corner creases with the same disdain as spine creases (according to my count the general rule is no more than 2 if you want a 9.4).