• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone looking forward to Star Trek??

129 posts in this topic

For me the 1960's show is the best show TV has ever produced. I love it for its camp; I love it for its characters; I love it for its intellect; I love it for the powerful sense of nostalgia it gives me. I love it as much as I love comics. More than any movie. It is the pinnacle of post WWII pop culture, in my view. The essential reason for all of this? The actors.

But hey, that's just me.

I'll give the new movie a try. It looks fun. But the actors aren't the same.

Yes - I have all three seasons of the original series - thinking about getting TNG as well hm

I know this is blasphemy...but I grew to love TNG as much as the original....in some aspects more. The synergy between Kirk and Spock, however, will never be equaled. I like the idea that the new movie is going for an original kind of pace and feel. As always I will go in with an open mind and try to find something to like.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

not sure if I'm thrilled with the "kiddie" cast...the original ST cast all felt like adults (nemoy and shatner were both 35 when the series started, the other people were mostly older) -- of course, given that I started watching the show when I was 4 or 5, of course, they seemed like adults!

anyway, my wife wants to see it so i guess it's going to happen eventually.

not sure if I'm thrilled with the "kiddie" cast...the original ST cast all felt like adults (nemoy and shatner were both 35 when the series started, the other people were mostly older) -- of course, given that I started watching the show when I was 4 or 5, of course, they seemed like adults!

anyway, my wife wants to see it so i guess it's going to happen eventually.

Unless I missing something the original ST show had the feeling that they were seasoned

and that even in the very first show that wasn't their first mission...

hm

Yup. That's one of the things that I really like about the first episode. You get the feeling right away that Kirk and Spock have known each other for a long time.

then again, when we first see kirk on the enterprise i suppose it could have been a while after pike disappeared and he and spock may have become buddies. pike is in the movie, so i guess we'll find out how it all fits in, whether they're deviating from the ST bible by much and so on.

one thing that stuck in my head about the initial pilot is how pike makes some sort of comment to a lower ranking female officer on the deck about being uncomfortable with women on the deck (rodenberry..really, you thought 1960's attitudes would still be in place 400 years later?), but his "number one" (equivalent to Spock or Riker) is a woman and she temporarily commands the enterprise. I understand the whole "Number One" thing has spun off a ton of stories in the trek universe.

Just watched mirror darkly. Awesome episode and tie in to the original series.

It was funny watching the old defiant enterprise next to the 'older' enterprise model.

Looked like such a clunker, but they were able to turn it around pretty well.

I never even watched enterprise, but went back and picked up some of the box sets.

It was actually pretty good.

Also, I was reading somewhere that the cast was originally going to be older with matt damon (kirk), gary sinese(mccoy), and adrien brody(spock). Don't know about the rest, but gs would have made an awesome mccoy.

P.S. Thanks for keeping one thread on this. I hope it doesn't mushroom into 10; let's keep this the definitive one please. :wishluck: