• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Trek in-jokes/continuity (Spoiler Alert)

65 posts in this topic

I can't remember what was exactly said (when we see Spock as an adult for the first) Spock's mother asks him if he is doing fine and Spock says a comment about the definition of the word fine being bad or something. In Star Trek VI when Spock was being tested in the begining of the movie, the computer knowing he is half human, asks him how is doing. Spock tells his mother he can't answer the question because he is Vulcan. But at the end of the movie he sends a message for his mother saying he is fine.

Hope I expressed it good enough. (shrug)

I saw it Saturday night and while I watched just a handful of original episodes and NONE of the prior movies, there were a lot of in-jokes that I got. Best movie I have seen in a year.

Saw it tonight and I thought it was just great. A skillfully executed, fun movie without pandering to the lowest common denominator. It reminded me a lot of Iron Man in terms of quality and approach. Can't wait for a sequel!

It also got me interested in possibly watching the original series. I couldn't help but think "if a great movie like this can get me interested in the source material, I wonder how often a great comic movie can do the same". Not too often apparently, which is a shame. :(

According to Rob Malouf, a grad student in linguistics at Stanford, there's another possibility: "According to John Nichols' Concise Dictionary of Minnesota Ojibwe, the Ojibwe word `giimoozaabi' means `to peek' (it could also mean `he peeks' or `he who peeks'). Rob continued: "There are several words with the same prefix ["giimooj," secretly] meaning things like `to sneak up on someone'.... It is quite plausible that `giimoozaabi' means something like `scout'.... `Giimoozaabi' is pronounced pretty much the same as `kemosabe' and would have been spelled `Kee Moh Sah Bee' at the turn of the century."

Hmm...I am Ojibway, and the word giimoozaabi is not actually about "sneaking up" or "scouting", it's more about voyeurism (not in a sexual sense). It's about a person giving secret watchful attention toward another, peering furtively. It happens to have a similar pronunciation to "Kemo Sabe", but trying to tie its gloss to the term is a real stretch.

(also, "z" in our language is pronounced more like "zh" than "s", so think of it as GE mo ZHA bih")

Yeah, great flick -- even my non-geek Lady totally loved it! :golfclap: She mentioned that we should see it again in IMAX. :grin:

:popcorn:

I thought I heard a callout to Nurse Chapel in sick bay.

Hey, that would be a good one! Any confirmation on this...? :/

Loved seeing the old style gun-phasers.

I liked how the end snapped around from Blue for stun (thumbs u , to Red for kill :devil: !

Yes, Nurse Chapel's name was called in sick bay, but she was not seen on screen.

Great examples all, but back to my original question--who was the kid Kirk passed in the car?

Johnny, but I can't think who that would have been, or will be..

Yes, Nurse Chapel's name was called in sick bay, but she was not seen on screen.

Great examples all, but back to my original question--who was the kid Kirk passed in the car?

Johnny, but I can't think who that would have been, or will be..

http://trekmovie.com/2008/01/29/meet-the-young-kirk-boys/

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/George_Samuel_Kirk

The one remaining scene of Daniels playing Sam Kirk, in which Jim Kirk calls out to him as he's driving past him in their step-father's corvette, was altered to change the name of Daniels' character to "Johnny", apparently a friend of Jim's.

Seems like they changed the original intent .. continuity reasons, maybe?

Saw it today...can't imagine a better way to reboot the franchise. Thoroughly entertaining...

I do have a question though...why the hell was Harlan Ellison ranting recently about not getting paid for the movie? I didn't see a sign of the Guardian of Forever in the movie. Nor did I see any reference whatsoever of anything from the City on the Edge of Forever episode. Was Ellison just assuming they were using it, due to the time travel angle, and decided to raise hell?

Jim

Saw it today...can't imagine a better way to reboot the franchise. Thoroughly entertaining...

I do have a question though...why the hell was Harlan Ellison ranting recently about not getting paid for the movie? I didn't see a sign of the Guardian of Forever in the movie. Nor did I see any reference whatsoever of anything from the City on the Edge of Forever episode. Was Ellison just assuming they were using it, due to the time travel angle, and decided to raise hell?

Jim

+1, Jim. I even waited for the credits to see if Spock was going to roll out to the Guardian to try and change stuff back. WTF?

The only (small) problem I had with the movie was Spock's romantic relationship. Didn't seem to fit.

Why?

The original Spock was always unemotional and detached. Having a romance with a fellow crew member would be unprofessional.

Jim

+1, Jim. I even waited for the credits to see if Spock was going to roll out to the Guardian to try and change stuff back. WTF?

I believe that the Guardian was in an early draft of the film that was leaked to Harlan...hence his pre-emptive lawsuit (or threat of a lawsuit). I dont think Harlan can claim a copyright to the concept of time travel...maybe only HG Wells could collect on that!

The only (small) problem I had with the movie was Spock's romantic relationship. Didn't seem to fit.

Why?

The original Spock was always unemotional and detached. Having a romance with a fellow crew member would be unprofessional.

He is half human you know!