• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If Your Collection Went Up in Smoke...

61 posts in this topic

I wouldn't rebuild the collection.

me either. the list of books I'd have to buy back would be a stack of 10-50, and none of any real value. The rest of my efforts would be to just buy trades and become a reader only.

Like many others... I'm not entirely sure I'd be able to get back into collecting again. Probably the closest I would come would be to continue getting graphic novels and trades.

I really hope that doesn't ever happen...

Like many others... I'm not entirely sure I'd be able to get back into collecting again. Probably the closest I would come would be to continue getting graphic novels and trades.

I really that doesn't ever happen...

You have a lot of time and effort in your collection.Let alone the cash.The ASM 1 and AF15 would be tuff to replace at a resonable price.

I wouldn't make an effort to replace the bulk of my collection which is mostly undergrounds and way too many moderns that I've saved over the last 25 years - but I'd probably slowly accumulate trades and the like of stuff I really enjoyed reading, as an excuse to read them again. As for my Atom Age stuff - I'd probably still collect - but I don't think I'd work hard to replace what I lost as much as find new things that interest me.

My first collection did go up in smoke (well more in flames) I made a post about it years ago. It wasn't comics, it was my record collection...lost over 7000 record albums and CD.

It happened 9 years ago and I haven't bought a single CD or record since.

Yeah, that's where I would be. I'd take it as a sign from God, collect the insurance, and never buy anything again.

Wow.

This thread really hits home! I've been faced with just such a situation the past few days. I live in Santa Barbara, CA and have had to evacuate twice from two different locations. At one point 30% of the entire city had fallen under mandatory evacuation.

After pictures and family mementos, comics were the next on my list to save. I grabbed 6 long boxes of the good stuff and had to leave more modern stuff behind. Luckily the fire has mellowed in the last day and the sundowner winds that were killing us finally backed off. A marine layer and some onshore winds helped a lot last night and this morning.

If I would have lost them I would be awful but my family, friends and myself all are OK and that is what really matters in the long run.

Glad that you and family and friends are OK. Like you said, people are more important that comics. (yes, even that Very Fine AF 15!)

My first collection did go up in smoke (well more in flames) I made a post about it years ago. It wasn't comics, it was my record collection...lost over 7000 record albums and CD.

It happened 9 years ago and I haven't bought a single CD or record since.

Yeah, that's where I would be. I'd take it as a sign from God, collect the insurance, and never buy anything again.

Yeah, RIGHT.....

;)

-slym

It would really sadden me and I would be depressed for sure. I would stay away from comics for awhile to ponder going back collecting. I think if I went back to collecting comics I would only collect Conan the Barbarian and perhaps the Marvel Masterworks, but more than likely, I would quit comics altogether and find something else to do.

I wouldn't rebuild the collection.

Me either. I'm far from rich, and could never replace all my books, most of which were bought off the rack at cover price. Plus I'm the sloppy sentimental type; quite a few of my older silver age books were purchased for me by beloved family members who are no longer around, these can never be replaced.

:( sounds like you had awesome collection :foryou: I started collectin vinyl a few years ago but stopped. All i ended up with was all the lynard skynards, sublime (the photo LEs) , and few ouktkast albums (shrug)

Lynyrd Skynyrd. Sorry. I'm a big fan and couldn't help myself.

I did give up for eleven years when my last collection was binned. There's always something that brings the bug back though, for me it was The Dark Knight. I couldn't not have my comics after seeing that.

I'd quit collecting...

Jim

Even though I've switched over to original art collecting, I still have hundreds of slabs and thousands of raw books. If I lost them in a fire, I might replace my original Warren Vampirella run, but the rest I probably wouldn't. I would replace some of the lost TPBs, though, that I like to read over and over (e.g., the Frank Miller DD run, the Byrne and Paul Smith X-Men runs, etc.)

The loss of the original art would be much tougher to get over. I could see myself picking up a few pieces to hang on the walls of my replacement pad (post-fire), but I doubt my prior enthusiasm would still be there after the loss. Most likely I'd rebuild a very small, but high quality collection, but I'd probably move on to another hobby (cars, most likely) for the most part. :sorry:

:pullhair: i would freak out. i have no insurance. but it would be a good time to start taking pictures and get an estimate for insurance.(new project). i would only replace the key issue and upgrade.... 2c

Wow.

This thread really hits home! I've been faced with just such a situation the past few days. I live in Santa Barbara, CA and have had to evacuate twice from two different locations. At one point 30% of the entire city had fallen under mandatory evacuation.

After pictures and family mementos, comics were the next on my list to save. I grabbed 6 long boxes of the good stuff and had to leave more modern stuff behind. Luckily the fire has mellowed in the last day and the sundowner winds that were killing us finally backed off. A marine layer and some onshore winds helped a lot last night and this morning.

If I would have lost them I would be awful but my family, friends and myself all are OK and that is what really matters in the long run.

Glad that you and family and friends are OK. Like you said, people are more important that comics. (yes, even that Very Fine AF 15!)

(thumbs u

Wow.

Good to hear all is well. Man, that has got to be scary during those time out there.