• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much should you pay for a Hulk 181??

41 posts in this topic

Question: How much can I expect to pay for a book in the 7.0 to 8.5 range?

Apparently...

$500

:eek:

pfft! that's a 4.0 at best! lol

Fixed. (thumbs u

Obviously your sarcasm meter did not go off. :juggle: I grade that a 2.0. :gossip:

Apparently...

$500

Fixed. (thumbs u

Obviously your sarcasm meter did not go off. :juggle: I grade that a 2.0. :gossip:

Judicious use of the meh or :insane: might have helped.

Oh, yeah... :baiting:

Apparently...

$500

Fixed. (thumbs u

And judging by the X-Men #94 that Vince has had slabbed, I think 4.0 is probably where the Sarasota 'authorities' would pitch it. (shrug)

yeah I think that's where most people would put it... but the BGS (Bronty Grading System ) downgrades severely for fading :) Under the BGD system a blood red hulk 181 with a single spine tick would grade higher than the average pumpkin orange one that is perfect structurally

yeah I think that's where most people would put it... but the BGS (Bronty Grading System ) downgrades severely for fading :) Under the BGD system a blood red hulk 181 with a single spine tick would grade higher than the average pumpkin orange one that is perfect structurally

Those red ones rock. :cloud9:

Apparently...

$500

Fixed. (thumbs u

I don't think so, that's more like an 0.5 meh

I know its probably the worst time to be buying one but I've got an itch that needs to be scratched...

I've got the chance to buy a Hulk 181 CGC 9.0

I've got my price in my head, seller has his. We meet later to discuss.

What is a realistic number??

Thanks once again to the board...and the bored...

chickfeed.jpg

Funny book that #181.

The thing with a lot of the modern keys is that:

A) there are a lot of them

B) a lot of them "circulate"

Collectors that may have saved-up to buy them will often get them and, when money gets tight, sell them. While this happens to all comics (to some extent) - I find it more common amongst books such as Hulk 181, the X-Men books (94-143, GA1, etc).

It's just that many of the collectors of this material may be a little younger, not have as much disposable income, and these are really big stretches for their collections. It's not a bad thing, but sometimes it means they have to let these go at "fire sale" prices if economics dictates.

What this means is that at any given time, there will be fluctuations in the number of seekers and buyers that can vary the price quite drastically. Something that doesn't happen on say... an Action #1 or Timely books, or key Batman books.

At this time, this book is in a state where it is readily available and there is a downward price trend. Will this be the case in a few months or years? I think so. I think this book will average a steady increase, but have moments where $1200 cash-in-hand takes it. As time goes on though, more books will "stick" into collections and stay there.

I know. I was one of these collectors with X-Men #94. I've owned and sold this book dozens of times in my youth. Sometimes I thought I was a comics "renter" and not a "collector"! Sometimes I sold at a profit, sometimes a loss. Now, I have a copy and no foreseeable need to sell it. My copy is "stuck" and not likely to be in circulation again.

So... I'd pay a price you can afford, are happy to pay, and let's you "stick" it in your collection.

Unless you are buying for profit. I wouldn't pay more that $1200 if you are looking for a quick flip, or upwards of $1400 if you are going to hold for a year or two.

20 years from now, when this book is at $8000, it won't matter if you paid $1250 or $1600. (well...not much)

Here is one i just saw in a comic store on Monday in Denmark, and the price is in Kronors. Which equates to $1234.00, according to my daughter. I thought it graded 8.5, possibly 9.0, 9.2 if pressed.

NinasConformation099.jpg

Raph here is the GPA for a Hulk 181 in the grades you asked for your looking at about $700

Grade----------12 Month------90 Day------Last Sale

( 8.0 )-----------(36) $715-----(12) $712---$650 May-2009

( 7.5 )-----------(28) $603-----(8) $644-----$710 Apr-2009

the question remains

I tracked a few through the opening of wolverine. I have a PGX ( :D ) 7.0 (its more like a 6.5 CGC) And there was one up for sale . It went out at 460. If youre willing to roll the dice raw? Maybe 300-350