• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USM #2 "Swinging" versus "Car" covers

19 posts in this topic

Seems like the "Car" cover is more standard, and the "swinging" cover is the variant...Do I have that right? Any data on the comparative scarcity of one versus the other, or approximate raw prices, currently?

Sometimes we find ourselves thigh-deep in quandries of varying depths and of varying urgencies. This is not one of those times. With that being said, I would hazard a guess of 13.

The distribution on that book was all screwed up... and not just on the West Coast...

I was in Texas at the time, and I got 68 swingings with just 41 cars...

But the dealer I played golf with who was just 15 miles from me got 26 swingings and over 60 cars...

I made a trip to Portland to do some shopping around three months later, and talked to three different store owners about the book. Two of them got no swingings. The other got no cars...

This may be one of those cases where the only way we will ever find out is the CGC census...

"This may be one of those cases where the only way we will ever find out is the CGC census... "

Problem with that is that it is not broken out that way on the CGc census or even on the label - the note reads "2 different variants exist"

A followup: One tracking program that does break it out would be GPAnalysis confused-smiley-013.gif - but the count can be skewed by the number of "re"sales.

I just checked the census and there is that one CGC 9.9 USM 2 - I wonder if it is a swinging or a car and I think that may be a red label as it's been up there for the longest time - since I first started slabbing the USMs (and still had red labels)

Darthdiesel,

It was back late 2000 or 2001. There was a picture included on the auction of the CGC 9.9 USM #2. I also recall that USM 1, 2 and early USM issues graded CGC 9.9s were auctioned in ebay. Apparently, there were no pictures, I emailed the seller to provide me scans of his/her auctions but the auctions closed after a day or two. I believe they were privately sold and since the 9.9s were not reflected in the CGC census, I believe these were reprints or foreign variants or a scam.