• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forum Etiquet Did I spell etiquet right? Guess I didnt. Sue me!

459 posts in this topic

I haven't been keeping up, so I don't know what topic you guys are on now, but back to the original topic of "Board Etiquette"

I had a well know self proclaimed nice guy send me a PM from a con this weekend. He was asking a question about a comic. The information was probably going to be used to help make an educated decision on wether or not to purchase a book. I can't be positive though.

What ever the reason. the PM ended with "Any help would be appreciated."

I gave an honest an thorough answer.

The next thing the PMer did was "remove himself from the subject".

IMO, if you have time to solicit information - IF you have time to delete the PM, then you have time to reply with "Thanks"

It's no big deal. It's common courtesy. It's manners. :sumo:

Sounds pretty self serving to me. However, that's how you tell the real nice guys from the posers. A sincere individual hasn't forgotten his manners and responds accordingly. The above behavior is more along the lines of a one pump and dump chump in a drive by "friending."

From what I can gather their really was no "friend" in the equation. In life you have givers and takers. This sounds like a classic case of taking from one of the parties without having the decency to say "Thanks for allowing me to pick your brain and save money on a purchase".

Agreed. I think the kicker for me is that they deleted the pm. It wasn't like they received the pm and forgot to thank you. They got the pm and made the conscious to delete without thanking.

In all fairness, none of us are perfect and all of us have behaved badly at one time or another. This person's behaviour is less than stellar but I'm not sure it is fair to assume they are bad people.

No one is bad across the board, but when it comes to certain aspects of the hobby certain people are at the very least consistent.

Agreed. I think the kicker for me is that they deleted the pm. It wasn't like they received the pm and forgot to thank you. They got the pm and made the conscious to delete without thanking.

In all fairness, none of us are perfect and all of us have behaved badly at one time or another. This person's behaviour is less than stellar but I'm not sure it is fair to assume they are bad people.

As much as I am not happy with someone doing this, at times I have to chalk it up to lack of social awareness.

I've had a few folks do this to me on here where they ask a question, I respond, and then the next day they have removed themselves from the thread.

Kind of a cold approach in dealing with people, but that's the difference between wanting to be part of a "family" and just using people for information.

I haven't been keeping up, so I don't know what topic you guys are on now, but back to the original topic of "Board Etiquette"

I had a well know self proclaimed nice guy send me a PM from a con this weekend. He was asking a question about a comic. The information was probably going to be used to help make an educated decision on wether or not to purchase a book. I can't be positive though.

IMO, if you have time to solicit information - IF you have time to delete the PM, then you have time to reply with "Thanks"

Sounds pretty self serving to me. However, that's how you tell the real nice guys from the posers. A sincere individual hasn't forgotten his manners and responds accordingly. The above behavior is more along the lines of a one pump and dump chump in a drive by "friending."

From what I can gather their really was no "friend" in the equation. In life you have givers and takers. This sounds like a classic case of taking from one of the parties without having the decency to say "Thanks for allowing me to pick your brain and save money on a purchase".

No one is bad across the board, but when it comes to certain aspects of the hobby certain people are at the very least consistent.

I sent you a PM and asked you a question this morning. I even thanked you for the answer. But I think that is how these things should go ????

Something I am guilty of that might appear bad but is totally unintentional.

Like many of you I send/receive dozens of PM's a day,. Some personal, some comic related and I admit there are times I cannot answer a PM that I read but did not have the time to answer fully when I read it.

Then I forget to reply, only to realize later that day they probably think I snubbed them by not answering. :blush:

So if you sent me a PM and I didn't reply..slap me with a fish cause it was not on purpose. Unless you are Greggy, I always try and ignore his Pm's.

:acclaim:

Like many of you I send/receive dozens of PM's a day,. Some personal, some comic related and I admit there are times I cannot answer a PM that I read but did not have the time to answer fully when I read it.

Then I forget to reply, only to realize later that day they probably think I snubbed them by not answering. :blush:

So if you sent me a PM and I didn't reply..slap me with a fish cause it was not on purpose. Unless you are Greggy, I always try and ignore his Pm's.

I assume that happens to us all. Untill the PM is deleted with no cordial reply where one may have been appreciated.

Greggy once pmed me and then deleted it before I saw it. I was honoured.

That's actually just a little bit sick. meh

I won't ask which 'nice guy' sent it. I'd prefer them to actually grow a pair and make an apology. Wanker.

That's actually pretty low thing to do. If this was from a noob, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Apalling! A Call To Arms! That is just effing preposterous! My most indignant scowl insert here... :censored:

Seriously...that is lower than low...what is this world, and this website coming to... doh!

That's actually pretty low thing to do. If this was from a noob, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Couldn't agree more...I think the 'well known self proclaimed nice guy' is maybe mis-selling himself around here. meh

It sounds like you have an idea whom the person is.