• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forum Etiquet Did I spell etiquet right? Guess I didnt. Sue me!

459 posts in this topic

The whole deal is a lot less important then you might like to think Roy. I made a post about board etiquette in a thread about board etiquette. I had a few snarky comments like "self proclaimed nice guy" and "preaching enlightenment to other forum members and self promoting." because, well, it's true.

Your "snarky" comics where meant to help people recognize who it was. You and the other members of your clique who chimed in. If your intentions were to make this a better place you would have simply stated what you felt was improper etiquette without all the extra garnishings OR contacted me about how you felt. Since you know all of my posts so well you must have read my multiple posts on how "going to the source" should always be the first way to deal with a problem rather than crop dusting. Ironically, in trying to point out poor etiquette you yourself have behaved in a poor manner. See, you think that delteing pms without signing off was poor manners and I think that mocking someone without their knowing about it is poor manners. In any case I want to thank the gent who brought this thread to my attentions for having enough class to let me know and giving me a chance to make things right.

And really, it is inconsequential. Bad etiquette, apologies, whatever, aren't going to make my world stop spinning for a second. What you do is not important to me, it has no effect on my life. So recieving an apology really isn't that important, especially if you have a clear conscience. It's as simple as that. however, I do respect that you came here and made an apology.

It won't change whether the world turns or not but it will affect the morals on this board. I offered a sincere apology and it won't happen again. If it didn't bother you, it wouldn't have been brought up in the first place and in the manner it was brought up.

I didn't PM you, because, as I said, it really had little importance to me. The post was really about manners, for evryone to think about, nothing else. Maybe you should try to figure out why it went much further then that with other folks.

Mike, I'm not a very self-aware person. I'm often reactive, tunnel visioned when I lock onto something and can be myopic. I realize that much. They are very popular virgo traits. Heck, I might even border on needing ritalin. I'm not going to make excuses for who and what I am. I spent my entire life trying to conform to someone else's idea of what a person should act like. I live by very few rules, and one of those is the "do unto others" one. If I lose sight, focus or manners (or the perceived loss of manners) I have no problem being reminded as we all have to be reminded from time to time of our short comings.

I also made the post that "many would just buy more snake oil". I'll be honest. I think you can find a way to justify just about anything to yourself and sell it to others. That doesn't necessarily mean I dislike you, or wouldn't answer a PM asking for info or advice.

I can spend an entire thread posting about thought patterns, perception and agendas but it would be pointless. The fact is that with me you see what you get. You won't hear about something "behind the scenes" the way I have been assassinated several times on these boards by people who can't mind their own business, keep their business to themselves or take the time to "go to the source" when/if there is a problem.

Even with all of that. It really doesn't matter that much to me, so I won't go on about it any more except to say, if I have an axe to grind, and decide it's worth wasting my time with - trust me I'll grind it.

I disagree that it doesn't matter much to you. You've put a lot of words into a pretty simple topic that could have taken one post instead of several pages.

People can take me or leave me. I can be overly busy as I tend to bite off more than I can chew, I'm often self centered, high strung and party a little too hard for my own good but it's not like I try to hide any of it.

You don't have to worry about me running off with your money, cheating you or talking behind anyones back. The rest is for me to work on.

I'd personally like everyone to realize that we are all different, that it takes patience to get along and my goal would be to get along but with me you and everyone else but that won't happen without consistant effort and I realized very much so this weekend that I need to put in a bigger one.

What you see is what you get.

R.

It is a little more than that. I deleted quite a few pm's over the weekend as I cleared out my inbox.

Please see Rule 5. Now back to your regularly scheduled person_without_enough_empathyfest.

Donut, who despairs over the lack of proper grammar in the world.

It is a little more than that. I deleted quite a few pm messages over the weekend as I cleared out my inbox.

Please see Rule 5. Now back to your regularly scheduled person_without_enough_empathyfest.

Juststopit.DoyouWANTastrike? off. Edited so that Ron Jeremy goes away.

It is a little more than that. I deleted quite a few pms over the weekend as I cleared out my inbox.

The English language thanks you for your contribution. Carry on.

It is a little more than that. I deleted quite a few pms over the weekend as I cleared out my inbox.

The English language thanks you for your contribution. Carry on.

I actually changed it again, this time to PM messages but that doesn't work. I think the english language actually needs to evolve to accomodate the abbreviations of "private messages". If you write pms it becomes an abbreviation for pre menstrual syndrome which won't work (well it will in some cases).

Maybe PMs ?

(shrug)

Having met both Roy and Mike, I'd say they are both fine individuals. (thumbs u x2

Roy, asking for info, getting the info, and not saying thanks, isn't very polite. Being drunk is not an excuse. You probably weren't drunk at the con when you received the message, so you could have replied immediately. Even if you weren't at the con when Mike replied to you, after reading the info, that was the time to reply and say thanks.

Mike, it obviously did affect you, as you posted it with pretty obvious hints as to who it was. If you just wanted to add to the thread and for this kind of behavior to stop, then you would have just posted the necessary details.

To me, this isn't a big deal and shouldn't be made into one. I hope that I'm not adding fuel to the fire, I don't think I am. People act in certain ways all the time. Sometimes their actions may have an effect on us, but that is for us to decide. If we don't want someone's words or actions to affect us, then we don't have to allow it to happen, right? If someone hands you a steaming bag of dog poo, would you accept it? It's quite similar to how we can choose what we allow into our lives. If someone has some indecent words for you, would you accept them or say "no thanks"?

Okay, I'm got a little off topic there, but this kind of thing doesn't look good for anybody and really there is a potential to do more harm than good. Let's just focus on the things that we do have a common interest in and move on. :shy:

Andy