• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Protecting art done in pencils

4 posts in this topic

I had a framer (archivist) once tell me that pencils can last longer than any of us will! He said that framing with u/v resistant glass is a must if you want to display. Either way, keep it out of direct light.

As far as I'm aware the pencils themselves aren't in danger of fading but they can smear or come off if they come into contact with anything including portfolio sleeves. If you frame it under glass then it's probably fine. If not you can get a spray on fixative from an art shop but be sure to test it on something less valuable. It can come out gloopy or you may spray it on unevenly the first times you try.

Personally I don't bother with fixatives.

You could use a fixative to try and keep it from smudging with handling, but honestly the handling (grease from fingers) and fixative would be worse for the piece in the long run.

Store it such that fingerprints can't smudge it. Other than that, the pencil graphite will no doubt outlast the paper it's drawn on.

-e.