• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mego Super-hero dolls from Marvel/DC

100 posts in this topic

Spiderman is probably the easiest to find.

batman was the most produced and is the most "common" but spidey is right there with him (both availability and price wise)

monstersback.jpg

Thanks, I should've read further. I had that Mummy one. I wanted the Wolfman but it didn't happen.

Definitely the coolest of the Mego toys. The superheroes are nice, the Star Trek and Planet of the Apes toys are nicer, but these Universal Monster dolls are the best. Any pictures of them out of the box? My brother had Dracula and I had Frankenstein. Am I remembering incorrectly that they had glow in the dark hands?

I also remember having the Abominable Snowman and my brother had The Fly (from the old movie), but those probably were not Megos, although they were the same size.

Cool stuff ...

Ron

here is a cool little shot with the Drac and frank variants:

Monsters.jpg

was it even unveiled why did mego use stickers (that easily came off might I add)

to use on the costume decor (i.e. batman's and superman's symbol)

and some areas they had quality like hulk's ripped knees on his pants or spidey's

logo on both sides in the material.

Another thing was those damn fish glove mittens why didn't they just paint their hands

a certain color than use those things. and even more weird the boot were quality with a

snug fit???

I can see that they were going the cheap route, but it looked cheap in some areas and not others.

I just didn't know if there was a reason.

Just like one of my fav toy lines the "super joes" has a history

of falling apart because of the cheap joints that were used in making them

due to the high costs of oil used to make them. They literally are known for

being sealed in their pack and being in pieces due to this.

hm

I would say your collection is a bit more impressive than mine. :whistle:

123aaap.jpg

I didn't know Mego did the Village People. hm

monstersback.jpg

Thanks, I should've read further. I had that Mummy one. I wanted the Wolfman but it didn't happen.

Definitely the coolest of the Mego toys. The superheroes are nice, the Star Trek and Planet of the Apes toys are nicer, but these Universal Monster dolls are the best. Any pictures of them out of the box? My brother had Dracula and I had Frankenstein. Am I remembering incorrectly that they had glow in the dark hands?

I also remember having the Abominable Snowman and my brother had The Fly (from the old movie), but those probably were not Megos, although they were the same size.

Cool stuff ...

Ron

Monsters.jpg

Thanks! Funny thing is, my mental image of the Mummy one was different but that's it. Funny how it changed in my memory after so many years.

monstersback.jpg

Cool stuff ...

Ron

Monsters.jpg

Thanks! Funny thing is, my mental image of the Mummy one was different but that's it. Funny how it changed in my memory after so many years.

(thumbs u

zais-1.jpg

Here is another thing that baked my noodle,

in the Planet of the Apes series there is a number under the

title of other figures that are available and it looks like a date...

But it can't be because the movie that this is based after came out in 1968.

Is there any indication on what those number are?

Is it model numbers of the figure? Just weird...

:P

zais-1.jpg

Here is another thing that baked my noodle,

in the Planet of the Apes series there is a number under the

title of other figures that are available and it looks like a date...

But it can't be because the movie that this is based after came out in 1968.

Is there any indication on what those number are?

Is it model numbers of the figure? Just weird...

:P

the movie rights were secured in 1967, as were the characters copyrighted in 1967...so, mego had to use 1967 copyright info when they produced the figures in early 1970's

does anybody remember the Batman toy that was the Bat signal, It was cool you turned off the lights and the Batsignal would make the emblem on the wall.

I think remco made a bat signal in the mid to late 60's , but not sure if that is the one you are refering to

Fun thread... I had nearly all of the Mego Marvel characters and most of the DC when I was a kid. Never had any of the Teen Titans - they must have been released a bit later (?). Loved the Cap and Spidey, but my fav was probably Thor, mostly because of the helmet, boots and hammer (didn't care for the goldilocks hair, though). Least favs were the FF characters, especially the Thing in printed rock costume.

I was never really too rough with my toys (i.e., attaching them to firecrackers), but the joints of these dolls -- I mean action figures -- would break easily and limbs were everywhere. The costumes would easily tear too, and the thread from the capes would unravel (Supes, Batman, and Thor). Used to drive me nuts. If my favourite heroes had too many limbs broken or problems, I would take a fresh cadaver from a doll I cared less for and pop their heads off. I would replace the head with one belonging to another hero. Did that with my Iron Man, whose head and (poorly-repaired) costume is on the body of Sam Wilson (see below). And, only the costume of my Human Torch survived. I think it's on a body of a G.I. Joe doll, but who knows?

DSC03878.jpg

One comic series that I still currently read is Twisted Toyfare. I think it is funnier than heck, and very worthwhile to pick up the collected volumes :thumbsup:

Here's some custom Megos I have:

04.jpg

I also collaborated with a few friends to make a custom figure of the Marvel "deity" Eternity... You can see pictures by clicking here.

A great site for more of this stuff is The Mego Museum. They have a fantastic message board community that posts some amazing custom work and various rarities you won't see anywhere else.