• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo C2E2 + April16-18, 2010 + McCormick Place

1,036 posts in this topic

I keep hearing dealers talk about not making money at the show, but lord knows I dropped enough. I think the one major change I would like to see is less segregation of the vendors. I felt bad for Brad because his comic booth seemed like the only one hidden amongst all the toy dealers in the back. I had to show 4 seperate board members where he was.

I'd prefer downtown Chicago or somewhere not as isolated as McCormick. I actually like the Rosemont setup but would prefer if more food and entertainment choices were accessible near the convention center. While I could eat at Gibson's every night, I know I shouldn't. :)

I think the problem here is that Reed is using the same formula that worked for them in New York, but need to alter their strategy for this part of the country. The East Coast crowds were hungry for a great show. Reed locked up Marvel and DC, first thing, and got the exhibitors on board early and made them happy. They then went directly to the fans and got them excited, and with those 2 camps primed, they got the retailers to follow suit. The East Coast crowds pay more for everything, so they didn't flinch as much w/the higher costs. (Of course, just my observation)

Chicago draws from a large fan base made up of locals and a number of states within easy driving distance of the show. The early Wizard shows capitalized on that energy and enthusiasm by providing a fun show with lots of options. Unfortunately, they went through a number of problems and the show's been on cruise control and then reverse until their "autograph show" mentality took over recently.

I know that Reed wants to keep it a "comics" show, but people get excited when other options are presented to them, like movie panels, like Kevin Smith, like meeting people and experiencing things they can't get at home on their computer. After all, they're paying, what, $25-30 per day and probably want more than a dealer's room. Yes, in the older days, that dealers room came with dozens of artists who would do free sketches and the publishers could afford to give out tons of freebies. I don't think we're in that world currently.

The saddest thing of all is that I think Reed could learn a few things... from Wizard! Reed's show booth was hidden, off to the side, and probably made very little money the whole weekend. We know from Paul that they moved very few Toon Tumblers. They had a show exclusive Marvel book that nobody knew of, and the writer (Jeph Loeb) and artist (Frank Cho) WERE AT THE SHOW! Here's a hint, guys, hold some signings at your show booth! Make your show booth front and center. Study how shows like Baltimore or Seattle's ECCC handle their show exclusives. And while Wizard's current VIP system isn't that great, at least the swag and private signings helped justify the cost. In fact, the old days of Wizard VIPs, when there was a private meet and greet between the VIP's and key guests, was fantastic. If Reed's paying for these top comic creators to come in, ask those top 5 guests for an extra hour of their time to meet 75-100 high paying fans. Ask the publishers to put together some shared exclusives or something. Reed has indicated from their New York VIP events from last year that they are interested in this revenue stream, but charging $100 to sit around a table with Arthur Suydam wasn't the right move.

But I digress. I agree with some of the others on this thread, you squeeze out the dealers and regular retailers from this show, and then people have nothing to do except hope that the publishers provide something for the fans at their booths. To be fair, it's very easy to sit back and make recommendations and comments without knowing what they put into the show. I was turned away at the first NY show, I came back, and despite some hiccups, I have a decent time at the NYCC now. I'm curious to see what the next C2E2 will bring.

Joel

ok we get the point Joel, sheesh

:gossip: Maybe he had been drinking when he posted these and didn't realize he had posted the same thing twice already. lol

I think he posted it three times. Could be short-term memory loss. Hey, I missed running into you at C2E2. :cry:

DRX

Joel - thanks for the thoughtful comments...definitely agree. The VIP package made me long for the old days of WW Chicago like the first time I went to one of their meet and greets that you mentioned (an hour in a room filled with the most popular folks of the show was amazing and even got some face time and a number of sigs from Joss Whedon w/o multiple hour wait time).

that's what happens when I hit Refresh and the page still didn't load... I was having some sort of computer issue last night, but I guess it's working now... :)

I wish I got to go to those old-style VIP events at Wizard. By the time I had heard about it and thought about buying a VIP ticket, they downsized it to private signings with no sketches, no meet/greet, etc.

It's sad, really, Reed does a lot of things right and then they mess up things like the VIP package, or the "extra" experiences, or giving out tickets to their rare panels/signings. I guess their power has limits as we all saw in Chicago. I mean, they get the stars of the hottest comic book movie coming out THAT WEEKEND, and they don't have 100 people waiting since the morning? Whatever, enuf complaining from me. :)

be great for someone to compile all this information and contact Reed with it. If someone needs an email address let me know (not just a customer service rep).

Lots of great information, and IMO, Reed 'handled' the show better than Wizard has in the past few years. Not to say they could not improve, and I would not be suprised to see them reevaluate and make changes for the better, unlike Wizard, who continues to use the same procedures each and every year with no tweaks...

Just a thought...

I'm sure yodude is reading this.

Yep and taking copious notes. Pirate you are funny as 7ell

be great for someone to compile all this information and contact Reed with it. If someone needs an email address let me know (not just a customer service rep).

Lots of great information, and IMO, Reed 'handled' the show better than Wizard has in the past few years. Not to say they could not improve, and I would not be suprised to see them reevaluate and make changes for the better, unlike Wizard, who continues to use the same procedures each and every year with no tweaks...

Just a thought...

You just lost all credibility.

lol

Just a thought...

You just lost all credibility.

lol

meh

Just a thought...

Thanks for listening! (thumbs u The staff I have talked to and corresponded with have been really great!

April 8-10, 2011 lakeside at the mccormick

Was this announced? They just sent me a survey yesterday...why would they book it when they just sent the surveys out? I guess I understand the logistics of booking it early, but don't try to placate me with some survey if it doesn't mean anything.

Was this announced? They just sent me a survey yesterday...why would they book it when they just sent the surveys out? I guess I understand the logistics of booking it early, but don't try to placate me with some survey if it doesn't mean anything.

it was in previews this month

My favorite answer on the survey regarding building location: "someplace cheaper"

That sucks . I barely glanced over my previews...I hope it can still be changed.

That sucks . I barely glanced over my previews...I hope it can still be changed.

Hi Carcrawford,

I know we are keeping April but do not know if it is the weekend of the 8th or 15th or . . .