• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo C2E2 + April16-18, 2010 + McCormick Place

1,036 posts in this topic

It was a good show BUT not a replacement for WW Chicago that people were predicting earlier.

I felt bad for the little dealers. That guy who flew over from the UK to sell three boxes of comics was heartbreaking (what the hell was he thinking?).

Anyways it was a good show for attendees, location leaves ALOT to be desired and that would be my biggest gripe.

Jim

I felt bad for the little dealers. That guy who flew over from the UK to sell three boxes of comics was heartbreaking (what the hell was he thinking?).

I talked to Jon. It was indeed a sat setup.

He had three "big" books (a GA DC, a Timely and something else) and they all sat on the floor "on display" behind his table....did I mention they were on the floor behind him?

doh!

I spent the better part of a half hour trying to help him organize his book to get some exposure (borrowed a shelf from Bedrock, got an extra table etc etc) and in the end he just did not want to put in the effort and wanted to keep the status quo so we left it as is. I wonder if he sold more than 10 books?

hm

It was a good show BUT not a replacement for WW Chicago that people were predicting earlier.

I felt bad for the little dealers.

Anyways it was a good show for attendees, location leaves A LOT to be desired and that would be my biggest gripe.

Jim

I am sure Moondog and his crew did the same site analysis 16 years ago and decided to stay in Rosemont for Chicago Con for the same reasons.

The cab from Chicago South Loop hotel (which is about 12 minute walk from McCormick) to Midway Airport was only $25 including tip. This hotel also had 2 queen-sized bed rooms much more spacious than the tight 2 double bed rooms at Red Lion Inn. Free parking too.

So far the Rosemont show has been my favorite over all convention experience. Affordable hotels, easy access, terrific show over all.

The big problem here was certainly location and access. It was nearly a 10 minute hike from the host hotel and there was NOTHING in the area. Everything was a $10 cab ride.

I flew in and out of ORD. A $2.25 subway charge, one easy train transfer, and a 20 minute walk to McCormick Place from the train stop.

I didn't find that to be a problem.

re-read your post again, I got tired just looking at it.

I flew in and out of ORD. A $2.25 subway charge, one easy train transfer, and a 20 minute walk to McCormick Place from the train stop.

I didn't find that to be a problem.

Cliff, I think getting there for someone who came expressly for the con isn't really an issue.

The main problem I found was that as soon as con or sleep were done you had a choice of McDonalds or the Hyatt restaurant and nothing else...

The other issue is the parking costs as some people mentioned.

I loved the Con itself. Everything else around it was so-so by Rosemont standards and lets face it, that is the direct comparison.

I thought the building and lay-out were great for a con. Almost everything else just didn't work. Expensive parking, hotels are more expensive, and poor food selection at the site. If a local just went for one day, it wouldn't be bad though. For many of the guys that post here, going 2-4 days is expensive and inconvenient.

It took me exactly one hour to take the shuttle back to the Embassy Suites. One hour for what, 5 miles maybe?

The main problem I found was that as soon as con or sleep were done you had a choice of McDonalds or the Hyatt restaurant and nothing else...

The other issue is the parking costs as some people mentioned

Hence why I suggested Schaumburg. There are malls galore with every type of restaurant you can think of (steak house, ethnic, seafood, fast food, bar & grill) within a few minutes. I don't know if Reed locked themselves into a multi-year lease with MP, but if they didn't they should seriously look at other options

Quick rundown...

Wednesday

Paul (SilverAndBronze) got there on Wednesday night. The hotel was really nice... until Paul found a huge mold stain on the ceiling in the bathroom. Needless to say we switched to a different room. The 2nd room was not nearly as nice as the 1st.

Thursday

Thursday morning we got in line at 6:30 AM to drop off the 120+ case load of Toon Tumblers Paul brought with him. The marshaling yard didn't issue dock passes until 7 AM... kill off 30 minutes. We were 2nd in line so we got ushered into the hall to unload about 7:15. However, the union didn't start work until 8 AM so we just sat... kill off another 45 minutes. We were finished unloading about 8:45 then set out for the shipping depot where the con exclusives were waiting... another 135 cases of them.

We got back to McCormick about 11 AM and started set up. That lasted until about 6 or so. In that time I managed to loot a few booths of some sweet books.

Friday

Up at 6:30 to get the Toon Tumblers on the rack. The show started at 1 PM so we had time... not big deal. Things started slow and stayed that way until the end of the show 7 PM. Only did about half as much in sales as we wanted to do.

Saturday

Back up at 6:30. Did some restocking and waited for the mob... who never really arrived. But it was steady all day long. By the end of the day I was beat. I never though 7 PM would get there.

Sunday

Got to sleep in until 8 AM but paid the price scrambling to get everything on the shelves. Things started off slowly but picked up to insanely f'king busy once we started filling all of the dealer's orders.

WTF was up with loadout. The instructions said you were not to get in line until you were fully ready to go. Of course no one paid attention to that and several people bolted for the door right at 5 PM. I started tear down and Paul went to the Exclusives booth to collect his money and the few remaining show glasses. He came back pisssed. The show did such a good job of selling glasses we only had to take back 60 (of the 63) cases we left with them 3 days before (a show normally sells through about half of what you drop off). WOW! a whole 72 glasses at the Exclusives booth!!!! Paul was steaming. Not only did he have to take back the 60 cases we had left we had to find room for another 60. Talk about a tight squeeze.

By 6:30 we were ready to go. Paul finished up his final deals and went for the truck. I got a call 30 minutes later saying he was behind 100 vehicles in the line. About 10 PM he got inside the building and up to the booth. We (with the help of a couple of pizzed off "helpers" who hadn't had a break or meal since 5 PM) packed that van like a Tetris box. I told Paul to keep the windows cracked because there was probably not even room for air.

By 10:30 we were out of there. Instead of Paul being able to leave that night he had to stay at the hotel and leave at 6 AM Monday.

Now, before you start crying for us, there was one thing that made the show worthwhile. For all you horndogs who came by just to gawk...

makeupgirl.jpg

Load out might have been the worst ive seen. Me and my friend Steve waited 3 hours to get in the hall (we had two vans). Some guy cut the line and merged in between me and Steve. Bad move. I let Steve cut in front of me. About an hour later the same guy asks if we were in line for C2E2. I replied by saying, "No we just like to hang out here every :censored: Sunday night dumb :censored: ." He got the picture that I wasnt in the mood and was pretty ticked off at what he did.

Angelo (TheWatcher), Steve, and a couple of union guys packed up our stuff in about an hour and we were on the road by 9:30. Only drove 2 hours on Sunday. Ruined my plans as I didnt get home until 1 A.M. Monday night.

Jeff

I'm surprised to hear so many issues about the accommodations and getting to and from the show. I stayed at the Renaissance Blackstone on Michigan Ave. which was a very, very nice hotel. Cost of cab ride to and from was $8 each way and that basically included tip. I took a $25 cab ride each way as I flew in and out of Midway.

To me, spending less than $100 in transportation costs and paying no parking was a breeze. I never got caught in traffic and never once waited for a cab outside of McCormick center. There were always plenty lined up.

I agree on the food portion as pickings were slim, but to me, again, getting in a cab and taking a short ride where three of us split a cab to lunch is no big deal. Had McDonald's one day, went out for deep dish another, and on Thursday had Thai food around the corner from my hotel before going over. Either way, a variety of options if you were willing to be a bit flexible down town.

I can see the advantage of the Rosemont area and understand why it appeals to so many people. I'm going to miss WW Chicago this year (well, maybe I'll make it for one night), so I'm curious to compare, but frankly, I thought the McCormick facilities were much nicer that I would put up with some of the minor inconveniences.

My brother and I stayed at the Hilton on Michigan Ave. and our cab rides back and forth were only $9-$10 tip included. To me that is so worth it in not having to deal with renting a car, paying for parking or dealing with traffic.

We didn't even notice the lack of food choices because we were to busy walking from artist alley to CGC booth and back so many times that we didn't have time to think about food. lol

makeupgirl.jpg

Quoted for truth :sumo:

One extra reason to look forward to WW Chicago :acclaim:

Jim

Behave, she's the girlfriend of a good friend of mine ! Since the pics show three different outfits you obviously took a different pic each day. Looks like somebody was smitten. Well, I'm sure my friend would say you have good taste.

makeupgirl.jpg

Quoted for truth :sumo:

One extra reason to look forward to WW Chicago :acclaim:

Jim

Behave, she's the girlfriend of a good friend of mine ! Since the pics show three different outfits you obviously took a different pic each day. Looks like somebody was smitten. Well, I'm sure my friend would say you have good taste.

Bob, Hi I actually bought quite a bit of stuff at your friends booth but I forgot to ask for a business card. Do you know if he has an Ebay store or a website? He had some good stuff for great prices.

Thanks

Casey

Anyways it was a good show for attendees, location leaves A LOT to be desired and that would be my biggest gripe.

Jim

I am sure Moondog and his crew did the same site analysis 16 years ago and decided to stay in Rosemont for Chicago Con for the same reasons.

The cab from Chicago South Loop hotel (which is about 12 minute walk from McCormick) to Midway Airport was only $25 including tip. This hotel also had 2 queen-sized bed rooms much more spacious than the tight 2 double bed rooms at Red Lion Inn. Free parking too.

Just a FYI on this, the Chicago Comicon also was held downtown before the move to Rosemont.

The Schaumburg facility does look good.

Jim

Just a FYI on this, the Chicago Comicon also was held downtown before the move to Rosemont.

The Schaumburg facility does look good.

Regarding the original Chicago Comicon site downtown, I would rather have it downtown than at McCormick place. It's a beautiful facility but there is simply nothing around McCormick place.

The good old days. I believe it was at the Congress. But that was actually in the heart of downtown. MP is kind of off the track as far as eating or bar hoping. When it got to big for the Congress they moved it to the O'Hare Ramada I believe. I really liked the set-up there. Easy to park and get in and out. Rosemonts not bad though either.

drx