• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature Series Opportunities - San Diego Comic-Con International, July 22-26

197 posts in this topic

The biggest show in North America, San Diego Comic Con International returns in 2009 for it's 40th year!

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/

It's not too early to start planning for Comic-Con 2009! Roaring back into the San Diego Convention Center July 23–26 —- with the popular Preview Night on Wednesday, July 22 —- Comic-Con's 40th looks to be the biggest and best convention ever!

It all started in 1970 with a one-day minicon (think of it as "Comic-Con Zero") at the U.S. Grant Hotel in downtown San Diego. The first guests were Forrest J Ackerman (Famous Monsters of Filmland's famous editor) and Mike Royer, best known for his work inking Jack Kirby's "Fourth World" books. That one-day event tested the waters -— and raised funds —- for the first ever San Diego Comic-Con (then called "San Diego's West Coast Comic-Con") in August of the same year, which featured comics legend Jack Kirby and science fiction authors Ray Bradbury and A. E. van Vogt. And the rest, as they say, is history -— including Kirby, Bradbury, and Ackerman going on to become three of Comic-Con's favorite guests over the years (both Ray and Forry were present again in 2008).

That first show and its logo set the groundwork for what would become, over the next 39 years, the country's leading comics and popular arts convention. From the very beginning the event has focused on "comic art, films, and science fiction."

As we gear up over the coming months to celebrate the momentous 40th convention, you'll learn a lot more about Comic-Con's exciting history, from those early days through the "Toucan years" (when Rick Geary's colorful bird was Comic-Con's mascot and logo), up to the present day. 2009 promises to be another amazing year, but if you want to be a part of Comic-Con #40, you have to register NOW.

In 2008, for the first time in its history, Comic-Con sold out in advance. That's right—the show saw record attendance, with every membership—both four days and single days—all sold before the Convention Center doors even opened. Comic-Con will sell no memberships at the door in 2009; the only way you can attend the show is to buy your membership in advance. So lock in those memberships now while they're still available!

FRIDAY, SATURDAY and 4-DAY MEMBERSHIPS ARE ALREADY SOLD OUT!

It's Comic-Con's 40th, and as in previous years, the special guest lineup is an incredibly diverse one, consisting of some of the hottest creators in the world of comics, ranging from the mainstream to the alternative, international, and syndicated branches of the industry. We're also, of course, featuring Golden and Silver Age creators, sf/fantasy writers and artists, and longtime Comic-Con friends.

» Michael "Doc" Allred

» Kevin J. Anderson

» Sergio Aragonés

» Brom

» Gene Colan

» Nicola Cuti

» Kevin Eastman

» Steve Epting

» Mark Evanier

» June Foray

» Ramona Fradon

» Hunter Freberg

» Stan Freberg

» Gary Gianni

» Jimmy Gownley

» Russ Heath

» Brian Herbert

» James Jean

» Geoff Johns

» Eric Jones

» Kazu Kibuishi

» Dennis Kitchen

» Hope Larson

» Jim Lee

» Francis Manapul

» Dwayne McDuffie

» Doug Moench

» Sheldon "Shelly" Moldoff

» Fabio Moon

» Patrick Oliphant

» Bryan Lee O'Malley

» Stephan Pastis

» David Petersen

» Jerry Robinson

» Mike Royer

» Stan Sakai

» Lew Sayre Schwartz

» Seth

» Bill Sienkiewicz

» Gail Simone

» Leonard Starr

» J. Michael Straczynski

» Richard Thompson

» Lewis Trondheim

» Ramón Valdiosera Berman

» Jerry Vanderstelt

» Charles Vess

» Landry Walker

» Bill Willingham

» Gene Yang

» Leinil Yu

And those are the guests of the convention ---- nearly every publisher attending will have exclusive special guests at their booths not on that list, plus a massive Artist Alley area with tons of comics pros setting up.

Here's the Artist Alley list so far:

Brent Anderson

Terence Anthony

R.C. Aradio

Dominic Aradio

Adam Archer

Jon Ascher

Robert Atkins

Barry Barnes

Hilary Barta

Chris Batista

Thomas Baxa

William Scott Beaderstadt

Den Beauvais

Allen Bellman

Anina Bennett

Dan Berger

Patrick Block

Shelly Block

Philip Bond

Brian Bossin

Spencer Brinkerhoff III

Mark Brooks/Stephane Roux

Steve Buccellato

James Bukauskas

Eric Caete

Zander Cannon

Sergio Cariello

Adriano Carreon

Tom Carroll

Jacob Chabot

Paul Chadwick

Celine Chapus

Bobby Chiu

Scott Clark

Katie Cook

Colleen Coover

Joe Corroney

Wes Craig

Dave Crosland

Cynthia Cummens

Carlos D’Anda

Paul Dale

Sue Dawe

Renae De Liz

Brian Denham

Otto Dieffenbach

Ray Dillon

Michael Dooney

Mark Dos Santos

Steve Ellis

Robert Elrod

Gabe Eltaeb

Randy Emberlin

Greg Espinoza

Jason Felix

Alyssa Fisher-Cohen

Nathan Fox

Franchesco!

Otis Frampton

Derek Fridolfs

Richard Friend

Dave Garcia

Alex Garner

Johnny Gerardy

Chris Giarrusso

Joel Gomez

Joe Gonzalez

Grant Gould

Mark Gould

Mick Gray

Peter Gross

Paul Guinan

Molly Hahn

David Hahn

Richard Peter Han

R. M. Hanson

Chachi Hernandez

Gabe Hernandez

Ben Herrera

Thomas Hodges

Sandra Hope

Jackie Huang

Mike Huddleston

Mark Irwin

Anson Jew

Benton Jew

Ben Jones

Tristan Jones

Brett Jubinville

"JJ" Juvaun Kirby

Scott Kolins

Rich Koslowski

Jason Kruse

Richard Krzemien

Andrew Kudelka

Peter Kuper

Peter Laird

Steve Lavigne

Jim Lawson

Steward Lee

Henry Liao

Christian Licther

Steve Lieber

Ron Lim

Steven Lisefski

Julio E. Lozano

Jim Mahfood

Leah Mangue

Larry Marder

Barbara Marker

Randy Martinez

Ruben Martinez

Joey Mason

Theresa Mather

Bill Maus

Meghan McMahon

Lord L. Mesa

John Meyers

Danny Miki

David Miller

Bobby Milly

Chris Moreno

Jarrell Mosley

Jeffrey Moy

Philip Moy

Sho Murase

Stephen Murphy

David Nakayama

Todd Nauck

Bosco Ng

Nick Nix

Eduardo Nunez

Steven "Steve" Oatney

Sergio Paez

Dan Panosian

Lucio Parrillo

James Pascoe

Kenneth Penders

Andrew Pepoy

Whilce Portacio

Keith Quinn

David Rabbitte

Tariq Raheem

Ron Randall

Norm Rapmund

Alex Ray

Bill Reinhold

Roger Robinson

David Ronzone

Flora Ronzone

Vaughn Ross

Adrienne Roy

Alex Ruiz

Michael Ryan

Stuart Sayger

Gregg Schigiel

Richard Schleifer

Jason Seiler

Brandon Shiflett

Jarrod Shiflett

Frank Silas

Howard Simpson

Cory Smith

Cat Staggs

Jessica Mae Stover

Christina Strain

Arthur Suydam

Eric Talbot

Philip Tan

Bryan Tillman

Anthony Tollin

Tim Townsend

Chris Trevas

Francis Vallejo

Denise Vasquez

Emily Warren

John Watkins-Chow

Neil Winn

Chuk Wojtkiewicz

Thomas Yeates

Brandon Young

Bernie Wrightson is supposed to be there, although he will not have a table.

At least that's what his website says.

Desert Wind Comics will be accepting submissions after June 1st. We will have a team of people to get everything signed present. If you have any questions please check out our website at www.desertwindcomics.com for more details after June 1st. We will be setting up several signings during the San Diego Comic Con as well as hosting a really cool Meet & Greet with "The Man". Tickets will be sold through DWC only prior to San Diego. Details on this great event will be coming soon.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

Bernie Wrightson is supposed to be there, although he will not have a table.

At least that's what his website says.

>>Awesome! I always wanted to get my House of Secrets 92 signed by Bernie Wrightson - will have to send my book to one of you guys for the show.

I'm no longer accepting submissions for this con. If you have already emailed me, your books will still be accepted. I have too many things going on right now, my time is limited.

Peter Jackson is making his first appearance at comic con to promote the new movie District 9. I saw the trailer for District 9 before Wolverine and it looked really good... Peter says convention attendees will be in for “quite a ride,” but did not elaborate. Link to story below..

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/06/movies/06jackson.html?_r=3

I was never a big LOTR fan but a cgc ss book from a 3 time Oscar winner would be awesome!

The article also mentions that Warner Brothers will have about 10 movies represented at the con, Summit Entertainment will bring the Twilight sequel, New Moon & James Cameron's Avatar may be there as well.

The Saturday of the San Diego Comic Con, he usually does 1 signing in the Autograph Area after his Simpsons or Futurama panel. The line gets long, getting there early is HIGHLY recommended, and there is usually a limit of 2-3 comics per person. He does unannounced signings at the Bongo Comics booth during the show, and he does walk around the show floor (until someone recognizes him and he ducks out) but every so often, he doesn't make it to San Diego. Wait until the programming schedule gets posted, see if he's a scheduled guest for those panels, then find a witness who'll wait in line. How many books do you have?

Joel

I would like to get as many books signed as possible, I have multiple copies of Simpsons #1 in certifiable condition. If I could get 1-3 books great, or 10-15 books triple great :) If there are any SS reps who can help me out PM me. I will be at San Diego also so I can bring the books to the CGC booth.

Matt Groening is pretty hard to get. I got one a couple of years ago he even did a sketch. But I know Jon Jespersen has tried the last 2 years at SDCC to no avail.

Kris is right, SDCC is not your average show to get signatures. Most of it is pulling a ticket out of a bag (and you line up for that), if you dont get the marked ticket, back of the line and this can last for hours. There is a reason Groening books go for a ton...