• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I got the dreaded call from CGC today...

309 posts in this topic

okay, so crazy idea. maybe the only thing CGC's guilty of is bad communication between the two people answering the phone. it's entirely possible that the first guy was right and the second wrong, or vice versa. one assumes that not everyone at CGC is aware of all the details about every submission.

i mean, before we go off spouting about "fishy" business and insinuating theft or intentional malfeasance or anything rash

okay, so crazy idea. maybe the only thing CGC's guilty of is bad communication between the two people answering the phone. it's entirely possible that the first guy was right and the second wrong, or vice versa. one assumes that not everyone at CGC is aware of all the details about every submission.

i mean, before we go off spouting about "fishy" business and insinuating theft or intentional malfeasance or anything rash

You're kidding around, right?

If anything, the worst mistake for them is that the books were damaged when they arrived, and nobody took the time for a MONTH to follow up with the submitter. But then to say you will not be able to submit an insurance claim because they threw everything away. Then a description of "chipping" versus "corner damage" as the defects which are different book faults.

You and I reading the same thread? (shrug)

Hey, we calls 'em like we sees 'em.

-slym

if that were the case - the party that was not in the know should have said something like "I'm sorry - I don't know the details let me transfer you to the person that does."

and for the record I don't think there was any Theft or intentional malfeasance on CGCs part at all. I really have no certainty of what happened. My gut tells me the books were accidentally damaged at CGC.

if that were the case - the party that was not in the know should have said something like "I'm sorry - I don't know the details let me transfer you to the person that does."

and for the record I don't think there was any Theft or intentional malfeasance on CGCs part at all. I really have no certainty of what happened. My gut tells me the books were accidentally damaged at CGC.

That's my sense of it. It's possible an employee accidentally damaged the books, is worried about their job, especially in this economy and went into Leave it Beaver mode so as to not get caught, but Whitey and Beaver didn't have their stories straight... sooner or later, someone is bound to find the broken lamp hidden behind the couch. Whether anyone owns up to it and CGC steps up, is another thread.

This is a fair point. Although my experience with their customer service has always been great, on any given day, good customer service can slip up. Perhaps that happened here.

As for taking a month, that is possible if the books were simply shelved until it was their time to get graded. On the other hand, a good conspiracy is fun to read here.

And your gut is probably correct, chit does unfortunately happen.

I hope they offer to buy the books at FMV once you provide scans of each book, and an apology for giving you the run around even if it was unintentional.

I am also sorry you were the one to have to be the "statistical anomaly" out of all the books they handle and process safely. They were your books and it is a shame they got dinged.

:(

This is like my worst comic nightmare... It'll be awhile before I drop any expensive books in the mail after this story. Sheesh!

It may sound corny, but I am very paranoid and I don't submit because I believe

crazy things can happen during this process.

I am a fan of CGC, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't submit anything

I just buy them already graded.

And after hearing this, even though I have about 100 books that are CGC worthy

I wouldn't submit them even if CGC gave the subs to me for free.

I'm just that paranoid over situations like this.

:P

This is like my worst comic nightmare... It'll be awhile before I drop any expensive books in the mail after this story. Sheesh!

You guys really need to get laid. meh

I hope they offer to buy the books at FMV once you provide scans of each book, and an apology for giving you the run around even if it was unintentional.

I am also sorry you were the one to have to be the "statistical anomaly" out of all the books they handle and process safely. They were your books and it is a shame they got dinged.

Now this is a stance I can agree with. With all the books I've sent in, only two came back that left me questioning what happened. Everything else was dead-on or better what I expected, and in most cases above my expectation.

It most probably will end up being a story of an employee having an accident, and now is trying to figure out how to make it right. It's the "making it right" I want to hear about to bring comfort to everyone.

I still think it is Cigarette Smoking Man from the X-Files working with an alien race to hoard all the great comics for themselves. Could be wrong. (shrug)

No business is perfect. Its just the sum of its employees, which may or may not represent its intellectual wealth.

Accidents can happen and an impartial investigation needs to determine that.

They need to own up if the damage happened was accidentally caused by one of their employees and not look at every submission from a profit/loss perspective and failing to include a loss of respect for their integrity in the eyes of the community.

Failing to do that leaves the impression that they do not respect their clients.

You guys really need to get laid. meh

why so you can make sure to come over to get your nerfster money shot???

(shrug)

anyway, I'll be watching this thread like a hawk, this is my worst fear materialized

and I definitely want to know the outcome.

You're kidding around, right?

If anything, the worst mistake for them is that the books were damaged when they arrived, and nobody took the time for a MONTH to follow up with the submitter. But then to say you will not be able to submit an insurance claim because they threw everything away. Then a description of "chipping" versus "corner damage" as the defects which are different book faults.

You and I reading the same thread? (shrug)

I think you're getting a tad emotional based on third (and fourth) party facts. Now the OP may have reason to be upset, but you don't. :)

Oh no. Ze-man disguised a swear word. :o

This thread will certainly be closed down now. :roflmao:

The FF65 in particular was immaculate and came from Blues' OO owner collection. I was very excited to get the results on that one in particular.

I remember drooling over that book in his thread! :cry:

This sucks big time! :preach:

The book was sold to a board member by a board member, on these boards, and seen by many other board members while it was being sold.

This is what I love about the situation. The books have been seen by many on here that deal with CGC. If anyone did anything fishy, they picked the worst order to do this with.

But it sounds like someone dropped the books, although the "chipping" thing I just cannot get my mind around from the photo shown of that book. Marvel chipping is pretty substantial when it starts, and I sure don't see it in that photo.

The fact that the book was scanned prior to subbing, and Blue has his scan, should have you covered.

I'd be very interested to see the damage. Some defects would be consistent with accidental handling damage at CGC. Dropping a book would result in impact corner crunches, if it lands wrong. Accidentally folding a corner over while stacking books prior to sleeving is possible also.

BUT..... how would chipping accidentally occur? Or multiple color breaking creases on the same corner? hm This is the kind of thing that could, and should raise some serious questions.

Looks like CGC has one of these now......

FPQHS-blackeye.jpg

Geez...

And with a long holiday weekend coming up this thread with have 30 pages of speculation.

:slapfight: