• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I got the dreaded call from CGC today...

309 posts in this topic

This is like my worst comic nightmare... It'll be awhile before I drop any expensive books in the mail after this story. Sheesh!

It may sound corny, but I am very paranoid and I don't submit because I believe

crazy things can happen during this process.

I am a fan of CGC, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't submit anything

I just buy them already graded.

And after hearing this, even though I have about 100 books that are CGC worthy

I wouldn't submit them even if CGC gave the subs to me for free.

I'm just that paranoid over situations like this.

:P

Me too.

That's why I've only subbed modern books until just recently, and the non-moderns through Matt so there's another pair of eyes on the book to confirm estimated grade.

Other folks have said "that's why they have insurance!' but my response is, all the insurance in the world is not going to replace that "one of" highest graded copy.

It's easy to replace a Spiderman #300 in 9.8.

It would be impossible to replace a GI Combat #77 in 9.4 (just an example, I have no war books grading that high from that era.)

It would be incredibly sad to see a book like that, after surviving in that condition for nearly 50 years, to be destroyed in an accident. At least if it's in my box, the only one I can blame is me if it's damaged.

I'm wondering if this is the reason why I'm still waiting for my SS comics from NYCC hm

Maybe they are all mutilated or chipped? I don't think I've ever seen a modern GI Joe with Marvel chipping.... :screwy:

Guest Grails

CGC does authorize select signings and sketch covers to be done without an eyes-on witness for every step. Case by case basis.

Were posts deleted that addressed the non-witnessed SS books? I don't see any resolution.

I can't imagine why you blood thirsty, obsessive compulsive, sex depraved comic dorks are not running through the streets with pitchforks and torches.

If that issue is, what was claimed earlier in this thread, then that's a flocking problem.

rantrant

I have a buddy who had some issues. He was afraid to say anything though. I am not relating it here for fear of being banned.

Hey, who is knocking at my door.

"CGC Police - Ooops, I mean Candygram."

Sorry to hear that Comixcroz. But man, I have to admit that I'm following this thread like a school girl's favorite soap opera! I've always been concerned that my "Little Precious" would get a tape pull after I happened to get the pre-grader who was out late the night before partying too hard (BTW, I don't know how they open the bags; they might not even pull the tape to get the comic out - might actually cut them open - anybody know?). But so far, my only major disappointment has been one PLOD X-Men #98 CGC 9.2 from probably close to a hundred submissions. Granted, I have had a few come in lower than my expected grade (worst being a 9.4 to a 7.5 and graders' notes didn't really justify the grade either); but I can probably count those on one hand. I hope they can make it up to you somehow with their insurance. But I know many times I only put the value of what I paid and not what it's really worth. I may have to re-think this. Good luck!

Sorry to hear that Comixcroz. But man, I have to admit that I'm following this thread like a school girl's favorite soap opera! I've always been concerned that my "Little Precious" would get a tape pull after I happened to get the pre-grader who was out late the night before partying too hard (BTW, I don't know how they open the bags; they might not even pull the tape to get the comic out - might actually cut them open - anybody know?). But so far, my only major disappointment has been one PLOD X-Men #98 CGC 9.2 from probably close to a hundred submissions. Granted, I have had a few come in lower than my expected grade (worst being a 9.4 to a 7.5 and graders' notes didn't really justify the grade either); but I can probably count those on one hand. I hope they can make it up to you somehow with their insurance. But I know many times I only put the value of what I paid and not what it's really worth. I may have to re-think this. Good luck!

Well I insured the books for the amount I thought they would be worth after slabbing - so that would not have been an issue...However, having dealt with a damaged Marshal Amplifier in the mail I know filing a claim with the post office, siting damage when the box/package itself has been thrown out would be a futile attempt. My chances of filing an insurance claim successfully have been ruined. IF It was damaged in the mail - CGC has taken it upon themselves to make it their responsibility by dumping the package. Their website states upon receiving the package they are supposed to thoroughly inspect the books and then remove them from their bags and boards and place them in a noted mylar. The damage should have been found out then.

If there is damage on the bag and board as the second gentlemen told me on the phone. There are only 2 options. 1) the noted mylar and board showed damaged - thus proving the books were damaged onsite at CGC or 2)they did not do what they were supposed to do and never moved my books to a noted mylar. I

I have a buddy who had some issues. He was afraid to say anything though. I am not relating it here for fear of being banned.

Hey, who is knocking at my door.

Why? Every company is going to have problems eventually. it does not make them a bad company. No one company is perfect.

It's how a company reacts to the problems that makes them a good or bad company - not what the initial problems are.

Like I said in my first post - I love CGC and I know mess happens to the best of us. I just feel the need to protect myself because the initial conversations I had were mixed up at best. If I get "banned" because of this thread there is something seriously wrong then, seriously. Getting banned would be insult to injury IMO because I have done nothing wrong.

I don't feel CGC has done anything wrong, yet. Depending on how damaged the books are and how they deal with it on Tuesday will determine that. If the books are as damaged as they were described to me over the phone and they just "cut me a break on grading fees" then I will feel done wrong.

Though, I have to mention, as it seems appropriate . . . I have slabbed somewhere between 100 and 200 books and never once had a problem with CGC, its staff, or its product. :)

:gossip: But the grades could have been a little more generous at times . . . . :roflmao:

Am I the only one that sees a problem with ripping on CGC before there is even a resolution? Fact is that

1. CGC has not even had the chance to make this right

2. We still do not know how bad the damage is.

3. We still do not know the grade.

I really wish the original poster had these 3 things first happen before spouting off.

Though, I have to mention, as it seems appropriate . . . I have slabbed somewhere between 100 and 200 books and never once had a problem with CGC, its staff, or its product. :)

:gossip: But the grades could have been a little more generous at times . . . . :roflmao:

this has been my experience too - personally I have been fine with the grades they assigned as well - this past experience is definetely not something that happens often.

It's fair to say CGC's process, with all the books they get in and handle regularly, runs VERY smooth.

But like someone stated earlier, it is not when everything is running like clockwork that is going to show a customer-focused company. It is when that rare problem occurs, and how they handle it.

I really want to hear how this turns out in the end, and what the submitter's take is on the resolution they offer. That will tell the tale.

Am I the only one that sees a problem with ripping on CGC before there is even a resolution? Fact is that

I really wish the original poster had these 3 things first happen before spouting off.

It would be unfair to rip on CGC at this point, but I don't think that's what most people have been doing. Clearly something strange happened to the guy's books, and I don't see a problem with discussing it. But I agree, it would be wrong to assume that CGC isn't going to handle this in the right way...whatever way that turns out to be.

Well I tried not to rip on CGC - I even started off by saying I have never had problems and LOVE the service they provide. I am happy that they called to let me know instead of just sending them back damaged. I'm basically just reporting what happened because I'm upset about the whole situation and i wanted to get it off of my chest while I stew about it all weekend. ALSO: depending on how CGC decides to handle this situation - this will not hurt their reputation but possibly strengthen it. If they handle this like a pro - everyone will be even more at ease with sending their books in because when their is a problem they will take care of it. I am ready and willing to report how awesome CGC fixed the problem when that happens :wishluck:

They've had my books for 30 days so if they were damaged in the mail like they say - they certainly had more than enough time to atleast notify me.

They told me what they are planning to do to make right and that is to "help me out on the grading fees". They also told me over the phone how bad the damage is - but regardless any damage at all is a problem. No matter what the grade is - it is damaged and would have graded higher.

Why do you "really wish that I hadn't spouted out" ? what does it matter to you? I'm sure if this happened to your books you would have a different opinion.

Sorry that the truth hurts buddy, I "really wish" this whole thing never happened.

Anyways, there's no point hashing out the same information over and over again. I'll see what happens on thursday...

Well I tried not to rip on CGC - I even started off by saying I have never had problems and LOVE the service they provide. I am happy that they called to let me know instead of just sending them back damaged. I'm basically just reporting what happened because I'm upset about the whole situation and i wanted to get it off of my chest while I stew about it all weekend.

They've had my books for 30 days so if they were damaged in the mail like they say - they certainly had more than enough time to atleast notify me.

They told me what they are planning to do to make right and that is to "help me out on the grading fees". They also told me over the phone how bad the damage is - but regardless any damage at all is a problem. No matter what the grade is - it is damaged and would have graded higher.

Why do you "really wish that I hadn't spouted out" ? what does it matter to you? I'm sure if this happened to your books you would have a different opinion.

Sorry that the truth hurts buddy, I "really wish" this whole thing never happened.

I, for one, am glad that you "spouted off". I think that you're recounting of the events has been clinical and professional, leaving as much emotion as possible out of it. You haven't ranted and raved. You've made it perfectly clear that this hasn't been resolved and how happy you've been with the service CGC has provided in the past.

I don't think you've said or done a thing out of the way and hope that you choose to keep us informed on how this all plays out.

Well I tried not to rip on CGC - I even started off by saying I have never had problems and LOVE the service they provide. I am happy that they called to let me know instead of just sending them back damaged. I'm basically just reporting what happened because I'm upset about the whole situation and i wanted to get it off of my chest while I stew about it all weekend. ALSO: depending on how CGC decides to handle this situation - this will not hurt their reputation but possibly strengthen it. If they handle this like a pro - everyone will be even more at ease with sending their books in because when their is a problem they will take care of it. I am ready and willing to report how awesome CGC fixed the problem when that happens :wishluck:

Anyways, there's no point hashing out the same information over and over again. I'll see what happens on thursday...

(thumbs u :applause:

Well I tried not to rip on CGC - I even started off by saying I have never had problems and LOVE the service they provide. I am happy that they called to let me know instead of just sending them back damaged. I'm basically just reporting what happened because I'm upset about the whole situation and i wanted to get it off of my chest while I stew about it all weekend.

I, for one, am glad that you "spouted off". I think that you're recounting of the events has been clinical and professional, leaving as much emotion as possible out of it. You haven't ranted and raved. You've made it perfectly clear that this hasn't been resolved and how happy you've been with the service CGC has provided in the past.

I don't think you've said or done a thing out of the way and hope that you choose to keep us informed on how this all plays out.

+1

Were posts deleted that addressed the non-witnessed SS books? I don't see any resolution.

I can't imagine why you blood thirsty, obsessive compulsive, sex depraved comic dorks are not running through the streets with pitchforks and torches.

If that issue is, what was claimed earlier in this thread, then that's a flocking problem.

rantrant

I'm too depressed from being sex depraved to march in the streets. :(