• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So whats the story on Pep 22?

52 posts in this topic

In my 35+ years of comic collecting, I've owned exactly one copy of Pep 22. And I owned it for less than an hour. Traded for it at San Diego back in 1994, put it on the wall with my other books, and within the hour someone came along and paid a healthy price for it.

The guy who traded it to me came back a few minutes later with trader's remorse and wanted to undo the trade. It was too late.

Too late for both of us. I've never had a sniff at one since.

sorry guys, I dont care for Archie...... or his first app. Personally I would buy the title because of The Shield.

The Shield wasn't even the coolest hero in the title. That distincition goes to the Hangman, often drawn by the incomparable Bob Fujitani :cloud9:

Obviously, I love Archie. However, there is far more to Pep than just one character (as Yannis somewhat inartfully points out...) which may contribute to the scarcity of this issue on the market.

Who doesnt love Archie??

They reprinted his first Appearances in Pep 22 and Archie #1 about a year ago in the Digests, As well as Jughead#1 and Betty and Veronica #1

Anybody who hasnt read these should pick them up!

Who doesnt love Archie??

They reprinted his first Appearances in Pep 22 and Archie #1 about a year ago in the Digests, As well as Jughead#1 and Betty and Veronica #1

Anybody who hasnt read these should pick them up!

I think the secret to Archie`s success is these two.

Betty%20and%20Veronica.jpg

betty_veronica1.jpg

In my 35+ years of comic collecting, I've owned exactly one copy of Pep 22. And I owned it for less than an hour. Traded for it at San Diego back in 1994, put it on the wall with my other books, and within the hour someone came along and paid a healthy price for it.

The guy who traded it to me came back a few minutes later with trader's remorse and wanted to undo the trade. It was too late.

Bill, was that the super-nice restored copy that was there? I recall seeing one in SD that looked stunning with some very nice resto. It was around that time frame. Nick Kronfeld was trying to knock it because the resto and someone said, "Nick, what's your copy like".

He didn't have anything else to add.

About 12 years ago I was helping a friend sell the low grade Golden Age books he'd found in the family homested he moved into, and among some cool WWII era hero books was a 3 foot stack of loose pages and incomplete coverless stuff. I knew a guy who'd pay for 'em, but I was determined to go through the whole mess with a microscope to make sure nothing too terribly wonderful slipped through. I spent hours before I was satisfied that no key book segments were in there, then turned them over to my buyer. (You're way ahead of me, aren't you?)

The next time I saw him he had quite the smirk, and I knew I missed something. "What was in there?"

"The Archie story from Pep 22."

I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. :insane:

sorry guys, I dont care for Archie...... or his first app. Personally I would buy the title because of The Shield.

The Shield wasn't even the coolest hero in the title. That distincition goes to the Hangman, often drawn by the incomparable Bob Fujitani :cloud9:

Obviously, I love Archie. However, there is far more to Pep than just one character (as Yannis somewhat inartfully points out...) which may contribute to the scarcity of this issue on the market.

But The Hangman got knocked out twice, thrown out a window only to be saved by a well placed awning, and was passed out while the bad guys killed each other before the cops arrived. Not very super hero-y.

I say it's scarce because of that red haired kid.

:sumo:

I too have owned only one. Heavily restored. It didn't matter. I sold it at the first show I brought it to.

Bill, was that the super-nice restored copy that was there? I recall seeing one in SD that looked stunning with some very nice resto. It was around that time frame. Nick Kronfeld was trying to knock it because the resto and someone said, "Nick, what's your copy like".

He didn't have anything else to add.

It may well have been. It was a beauty, and did have some work.

I too have owned only one. Heavily restored. It didn't matter. I sold it at the first show I brought it to.

if people cared for Archie so much how come every post I read on here includes, "I sold it quite fast "? And more so it was for sale right away! Unlike comparing to say .... Bat Tecs ? Hmmm, makes me wonder, can't be all about cash..... can it ?