• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone help with a few old books (non comics)

14 posts in this topic

I know that there is someone on these boards that collects older books but I cannot remember who. I had gotten a few older books awhile back from a friend who's relative past away many years ago. I am cleaning out my closet and discovered them in the back. I searched a bit around and could only find two books currently in print. Two books I cannot figure out what the edition is either.

I don't know there is any big desire for them and some I want to keep but would like to find out if I should read them more carefully. :grin:

If someone can provide a web site or reference book to look up the values that would be helpful.

Thanks

Thanks guys. I had looked at Amazon and found two of them but I feel like those sellers have unrealistic prices on out of print books. I guess just go by the majorities offerings and list it that way. (thumbs u

Yep, there not worth anything.

Over on the ebay chatboards look for the book chat, they often post a big ol' batch of links to research and source material on a variety of different styles and genres of books.

Over on the ebay chatboards look for the book chat, they often post a big ol' batch of links to research and source material on a variety of different styles and genres of books.

Thanks, I'll check that out tomorrow. I suspect that the two I want to sell are not worth much anyway as I checked out a few ebay listings.

If you can provide some info on the books it will help (can't think of any reason to withhold info such as title, what it says as far as publisher copyright etc.). And there are sometimes keys tyo deciphering an edition: "the word 'the' misspelled as 'thi' on page 17, line 4" kind of thing.

I have given some book tips here as I have collected old and first editions (in books, old is not really a criteria of value - I had many 17th century books I bought for cheap - all European and in some language not English. I just liked those for the feel, binding and - yes - smell.

So give us some info on what your interested in, either for selling or for keeping.

And remember - always grasp a book by the edges when taking it from a bookshelf. Never put your index finger in the middle of the book and pull back on the spine to remove it! Dagnabbit!

If you can provide some info on the books it will help (can't think of any reason to withhold info such as title, what it says as far as publisher copyright etc.). And there are sometimes keys tyo deciphering an edition: "the word 'the' misspelled as 'thi' on page 17, line 4" kind of thing.

I have given some book tips here as I have collected old and first editions (in books, old is not really a criteria of value - I had many 17th century books I bought for cheap - all European and in some language not English. I just liked those for the feel, binding and - yes - smell.

So give us some info on what your interested in, either for selling or for keeping.

And remember - always grasp a book by the edges when taking it from a bookshelf. Never put your index finger in the middle of the book and pull back on the spine to remove it! Dagnabbit!

Hey PR. The books have no comic interest so I did not think to even list the title. I am a bit embarassed because the books are not worth much after poking around those few sites. I had looked on Amazon and two of the books were listed at 40.00 each but I feel like some of those sellers are a out of touch with market values. That is why I posted to see if there were any sites around to realistically price out books. I wanted to see if I could get a couple of bucks for them. I am cleaning out my closets and need some paypal funds.

The first two I wanted to sell and the rest I am keeping. All of them are HC except for the second one. Here's the list if you are curious :blush:

Sigmund Freud's Mission - An analysis of his personality and influence - first edition

Signmund Freud on Creativity and unconscious - 6th printing.

An Introduction to Philosophical Analysis - Second edition - This book is still in print.

Major Victorian Poets - Edited by William Marshall

Major English Romantic Poets - Edited by William Marshall

Yes, they all have that faint older books smell that I enjoy too. See they are not that old just from the 60's but some are out of print. Still embarrassed...

yes, you will find that some sellers on abe will take a HTF book and price it sky high even if there isn't much demand just because there are only a couple of copies out there. can't get ebay info (usually) for that sort of oddball stuff. the kind of books that only sell every couple of years or something.

but, in general, if you see nobody listing your book for under $100 or whatever, you probably have a good idea that you might be able to get $25+ for it in an auction if there's any demand.