• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Because Modern needs its own "OMG, look at this eBay price!" thread

555 posts in this topic

Again Rick you are correct, it doesn't record comic shop sales. In fact it's pretty useless isn't it? I mean who'd pay $10 a month for that jsut so they could find out the FMV of books so as they didn't overpay... oh, wait...

Oh well, like I say I give up. You win. Not surprising as I have little intelligence right? (thumbs u

Oh, and there's no such word as guage.

I never said it was useless, use it as you see fit, it's your $10. (shrug)

I was just trying to establish what it covers, and what it doesn't.

You are a stubborn one, aintcha...?

Well, I have a knack for it, so here we go...

GPA does NOT record private sales, no. It cannot, of course, because such information would compromise their data by virtue of its untraceability.

GPA DOES record sales on Heritage sales and eBay. eBay, being far and away the lion's share of how slabbed books are sold worldwide, thus presents the most accurate picture of the slab market. A good 80-85%, if not more, is covered in this manner.

Yes, I know that people will tell you that slabs sell in stores and at conventions, but the truth is, those sales, while they do exist, account for perhaps less than 5% of all slab sales. And do you know what happens when those slabs are encountered at stores and conventions? GPA is whipped out on an iphone or a blackberry. It's a vicious cycle, I know.

As far as "independently audited"...there are hundreds of folks, all with their own particular collecting niche, who monitor sales results on GPA, and are quite quick to point out errors to George, the owner of GPA (and a longtime member here), who is quite amenable to correction, if necessary.

GPA, because it only records actual sales data (and not someone's opinion about what a book SHOULD be worth) is therefore, far and away, the best, most accurate picture of a slabbed book's value that exists.

Thanks for the reply. How is your 5% figure ascertained please, if all the non-online sales/auctions sales are not known? Are all slabbed book buyers GPA members?

Ricky raises a fair point, the data is not 100% of all sales for whatever reason.

not all slab buyers are using the gpa data and i would like to see one argue the toss about values at san diego next month. as prices there are crazy due to the extortionate booth costs.

nearly every con dealer uses overstreet as the industry standard price guide which states NM as 9.2 then uses multiples after that.

I don,t consider $ 120 a year good value for money on online sales data when all i have to do is check completed ebay sales , and / or heritage sales.

I would rather put the cash towards a new book

While Heritage sales can be tracked as far back as you want, ebay sales are a different story.

It's not that ebay doesn't have this information...they just won't release it unless you pay them a fortune, and then it's all unsorted and messy.

GPA keeps everything nice and neat.

Ebay U.K keeps completed listings on there for 120 days, which is fine for me all i am interested in is the most recent data with the CURRENT price for the book.

But i doubt if i dealer would concede that his book is twice the price . I would still have to haggle over the price, this i have done for the last 20 years at major cons throughout the states.

Ricky raises a fair point, the data is not 100% of all sales for whatever reason.

not all slab buyers are using the gpa data and i would like to see one argue the toss about values at san diego next month. as prices there are crazy due to the extortionate booth costs.

nearly every con dealer uses overstreet as the industry standard price guide which states NM as 9.2 then uses multiples after that.

I don,t consider $ 120 a year good value for money on online sales data when all i have to do is check completed ebay sales , and / or heritage sales.

Good luck with that. You do realize that ebay only allows you to search for completed listings within the last 14 days, right?

And, no, "nearly every con dealer" does not use the OSPG to price slabbed books - because if they did, their slabbed books would never sell :thumbsup:

(worship) Thanks for your insight - quality! Tell you what - you want my Wolverine Nabisco? I'll give you my personal copy - it's yours! :roflmao: Pay what you want, when you want!

Sort by:Date Listed: oldest first

Price

Postage to

Date Listed

Walking Dead Vol 1 #6 1st Printing Robert Kirkman VF

From United States

View similar active items | Sell one like this

Enlarge

Sold £22.96 Not specified Date listed:

20-Jan 20:39

just to prove a point . just pulled this off ebay uk which keeps completed on for 6 months ,so it seems i was wrong about 120 days.

(worship) Thanks for your insight - quality! Tell you what - you want my Wolverine Nabisco? I'll give you my personal copy - it's yours! :roflmao: Pay what you want, when you want!

thanks very much i will pm you my details

Sort by:Date Listed: oldest first

Price

Postage to

Date Listed

Walking Dead Vol 1 #6 1st Printing Robert Kirkman VF

From United States

View similar active items | Sell one like this

Enlarge

Sold £22.96 Not specified Date listed:

20-Jan 20:39

just to prove a point . just pulled this off ebay uk which keeps completed on for 6 months ,so it seems i was wrong about 120 days.

You're wrong on both accounts.

That item didn't sell on Jan 20th - it was listed on Jan 20 (as a store BIN), and sold on June 19th - which is why it shows up in ebay's completed listings.

titan-wd6.gif

thanks very much i will pm you my details

doh!

Something seems very shilly here hm

lol

Seriously?

Is this guy serious??

Item Title: WALKING DEAD #65 IMAGE COMICS NEW!

Quantity: 1 Available

User ID Price Quantity Date of Purchase

m***3( 222) £3.35 1 06-Feb-10 11:28:36 GMT

s***i( 167) £1.75 1 16-Sep-09 22:29:38 BST

h***w( 469) £1.75 1 15-Sep-09 16:26:04 BST

sorry that was bad example hers another

Ebay U.K keeps completed listings on there for 120 days, which is fine for me all i am interested in is the most recent data with the CURRENT price for the book.

But i doubt if i dealer would concede that his book is twice the price . I would still have to haggle over the price, this i have done for the last 20 years at major cons throughout the states.

Huh? I guess we've all been doing it wrong. 20 years you say? (worship) You are my god!!

Item Title: WALKING DEAD #65 IMAGE COMICS NEW!

Quantity: 1 Available

User ID Price Quantity Date of Purchase

m***3( 222) £3.35 1 06-Feb-10 11:28:36 GMT

s***i( 167) £1.75 1 16-Sep-09 22:29:38 BST

h***w( 469) £1.75 1 15-Sep-09 16:26:04 BST

sorry that was bad example hers another

That's a multiple-quantity BIN auction that doesn't show up as completed till the final item sells (or the auction listing ends - which is the case here) :doh: