• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Because Modern needs its own "OMG, look at this eBay price!" thread

555 posts in this topic

For my two cents on pricing, I have always taken the view that sellers will set a price that they think they will acheive, according to how long they can afford to wait. I could put hundreds on comics away in a cupboard for years until the price gets to the level I require, or I could set that price on Ebay now, in my shop at 12p per month and just wait the years out....

This is especially funny...

How long do you think the people who bought Valiant and Image books in 1993 still have to wait for "prices to get to the level they require"....? Will they EVER even be able to break even on what they bought....? It's been 17 years now...how much longer will they have to wait...?

Eventually, death will cut short your plans, as it must with everyone.

(thumbs u

At least this thread sums up what is wrong with comic collecting in the UK.

Actually what this thread sums up is a typical board thread where there are several parties too stubborn to concede that they see the other party's point.

It's been stated over and over. The UK sellers get what you are saying - if given a list of the same book for sale at varying prices for the same grade, most people will choose the lowest price. In this economy, it will take quite awhile for higher prices to be realized like they were even two to three years ago for some comics. It has been stated they can wait for the sale of certain books they have no intention of lowing the price for - just to sell it.

I've seen books I collected two years ago sell for $10 graded and slabbed. To me, it's just a real shame. But don't call these sellers out because they refuse to reduce their prices just to sell their books. In my opinion, GPA is already beginning to get everyone's panties in a bunch because the super low prices that books are selling for now is bringing it all crashing down rapidly. Now a buyer doesn't even want to pay for a retail price of the book, plus grading costs and complain if they have to. This doesn't go for every book mind you - but quite alot.

So don't crucify me boys... it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. I'm seeing both sides of the coin here and wonder why you are not.

Actually what this thread sums up is a typical board thread where there are several parties too stubborn to concede that they see the other party's point.

It's been stated over and over. The UK sellers get what you are saying - if given a list of the same book for sale at varying prices for the same grade, most people will choose the lowest price. In this economy, it will take quite awhile for higher prices to be realized like they were even two to three years ago for some comics. It has been stated they can wait for the sale of certain books they have no intention of lowing the price for - just to sell it.

I've seen books I collected two years ago sell for $10 graded and slabbed. To me, it's just a real shame. But don't call these sellers out because they refuse to reduce their prices just to sell their books.

They may not have a choice in the matter. There are no guarantees about the future. When a seller drives away reasonable offers today, he may never, ever get them again. Who's to say the market doesn't crash from top to bottom?

Last year, I listed my NTT #1 9.8 signed by Perez for $1,000. It was the only one on the census. Someone offered $333. If I'd not had my head up my arse, I would have lowered the limit, because the auto-reject was set at $400. $333 would have been quite a fine price.

I sold a Preacher #1 last year for $365. I'd be lucky to get half that now.

I sold a Bats #428 in 2008 for $661. $661! If I'd priced it at $2,000, I would have waited...and waited...and waited...and the market would have passed me by. Now, the books are averaging $175.

See, it's not to beat these foolish sellers over the head...though there is that...it's that, if you want to sell, SELL. Set a reasonable price, not some ridiculous price.

99.99% of all comics have come down "from their highs." I feel bad for people who bought at those highs, but they have no one to blame but themselves. Trying to "recoup" losses is, as any broker will tell you, a fool's errand.

Better to sell that Enron stock in 2001 for $10/share than NOTHING.

In my opinion, GPA is already beginning to get everyone's panties in a bunch because the super low prices that books are selling for now is bringing it all crashing down rapidly. Now a buyer doesn't even want to pay for a retail price of the book, plus grading costs and complain if they have to. This doesn't go for every book mind you - but quite alot.

So don't crucify me boys... it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. I'm seeing both sides of the coin here and wonder why you are not.

Because there aren't two sides of the coin.

Sure, Boozster is concerned for all the poor, uneducated buyers out there, and I sympathize, but that's where it ends...sympathy. I have no pity for people who can't be bothered to do a little research BEFORE buying.

That said, the point is still being missed: anyone can ask anything they want...but please don't attempt to rationalize ridiculous prices.

It's really just as simple as that.

I've seen books I collected two years ago sell for $10 graded and slabbed. To me, it's just a real shame. But don't call these sellers out because they refuse to reduce their prices just to sell their books.

They may not have a choice in the matter. There are no guarantees about the future. When a seller drives away reasonable offers today, he may never, ever get them again. Who's to say the market doesn't crash from top to bottom?

Last year, I listed my NTT #1 9.8 signed by Perez for $1,000. It was the only one on the census. Someone offered $333. If I'd not had my head up my arse, I would have lowered the limit, because the auto-reject was set at $400. $333 would have been quite a fine price.

I sold a Preacher #1 last year for $365. I'd be lucky to get half that now.

I sold a Bats #428 in 2008 for $661. $661! If I'd priced it at $2,000, I would have waited...and waited...and waited...and the market would have passed me by. Now, the books are averaging $175.

See, it's not to beat these foolish sellers over the head...though there is that...it's that, if you want to sell, SELL. Set a reasonable price, not some ridiculous price.

99.99% of all comics have come down "from their highs." I feel bad for people who bought at those highs, but they have no one to blame but themselves. Trying to "recoup" losses is, as any broker will tell you, a fool's errand.

Better to sell that Enron stock in 2001 for $10/share than NOTHING.

In my opinion, GPA is already beginning to get everyone's panties in a bunch because the super low prices that books are selling for now is bringing it all crashing down rapidly. Now a buyer doesn't even want to pay for a retail price of the book, plus grading costs and complain if they have to. This doesn't go for every book mind you - but quite alot.

Because there aren't two sides of the coin.

Sure, Boozster is concerned for all the poor, uneducated buyers out there, and I sympathize, but that's where it ends...sympathy. I have no pity for people who can't be bothered to do a little research BEFORE buying.

That said, the point is still being missed: anyone can ask anything they want...but please don't attempt to rationalize ridiculous prices.

It's really just as simple as that.

It's also as simple as.. probably every person on this board has had a comic up for sale for a ridiculous price and has gotten it - whether that was from an uneducated buyer or a collector that just wanted it. Now that incident happens far and few between. I'm not trying to rationalize what you call ridiculous prices - why should I care? All I care about is ME, what I buy and what I pay - if these sellers realize their asking prices, more power to 'em.

I remember seeing for sale on these boards not too long ago, Ye Old Lore at $20 a pop for a raw copy, when they were readily available for $3. Should we make it a standard prerequisite for selling on these Boards to check GPA or Overstreet before setting an asking price? God forbid should anything sell for more than what we actually think it's worth or stated to be worth. That's just ridiculous.

It's also as simple as.. probably every person on this board has had a comic up for sale for a ridiculous price and has gotten it - whether that was from an uneducated buyer or a collector that just wanted it. Now that incident happens far and few between. I'm not trying to rationalize what you call ridiculous prices - why should I care? All I care about is ME, what I buy and what I pay - if these sellers realize their asking prices, more power to 'em.

Indeed.

And can we agree that four times the GPA average for common moderns is, in fact, ridiculous...?

I remember seeing for sale on these boards not too long ago, Ye Old Lore at $20 a pop for a raw copy, when they were readily available for $3. Should we make it a standard prerequisite for selling on these Boards to check GPA or Overstreet before setting an asking price? God forbid should anything sell for more than what we actually think it's worth or stated to be worth. That's just ridiculous.

Repeat: anyone can ask whatever they want for anything they're selling.

That is not the issue, and never has been.

Indeed.

And can we agree that four times the GPA average for common moderns is, in fact, ridiculous...?

I think what you are saying is very conflicting. While anyone can ask whatever they want for anything they're selling, asking 4x GPA average is ridiculous. So I think I get it.. A seller can ask whatever they want for something but be prepared to be torn apart here for doing so?

Were you part of the debate team in high school?

I think what you are saying is very conflicting. While anyone can ask whatever they want for anything they're selling, asking 4x GPA average is ridiculous.

There is no conflict.

I have a Ford F-150 with 160,000+ miles on it.

I have the legal right and moral privelege of asking $500,000 for it.

That doesn't mean that such an asking price is the height of absurdity.

There is no conflict between those two concepts.

So I think I get it.. A seller can ask whatever they want for something but be prepared to be torn apart here for doing so?

lol

Let me say it again: part of it is, yes, "duh", but part of it is "hey, buddy...if you price these more reasonably, they'll actually sell, and who knows what the future may bring?"

Cautionary tale, in other words, in the hopes that people don't wait until it's too late.

I wish I'd slabbed and dumped ALL my moderns in 2007-2008. I didn't, and now I'm paying for it. Oh well.

No, no. I don't debate well live. I am a classic "that was a GREAT rebuttal...wish I'd thought of it 3 hours ago!" type of debator. That's why, in any serious discussion, I contemplate what I want to say for a while before responding. I very rarely post "off the cuff."

More answer than you were looking for, I bet. ;)

:o(worship)

Now thats a Feat!

Tell me about it...

Poor thing's falling apart. :cry:

It just blew a spark plug out of the head gasket, stripping the threads two weeks ago, and it cost me $550 to PATCH it. Yes, PATCH!

:(

Now thats a Feat!

Tell me about it...

It just blew a spark plug out of the head gasket, stripping the threads two weeks ago, and it cost me $550 to PATCH it. Yes, PATCH!

Is that common with Ford F-series pickups? I bet you thought it was a cylinder head. I would have.

Now thats a Feat!

Tell me about it...

Is that common with Ford F-series pickups? I bet you thought it was a cylinder head. I would have.

Apparently, it is! I didn't find that out until it happened, but the mechanics at Goodyear said they see it all the time. I thought FO SHO the engine was a goner...who knows, it may still be. Thank God it didn't mangle the cylinder.

I love that truck.

I think what you are saying is very conflicting. While anyone can ask whatever they want for anything they're selling, asking 4x GPA average is ridiculous.

There is no conflict.

I have the legal right and moral privelege of asking $500,000 for it.

That doesn't mean that such an asking price is the height of absurdity.

There is no conflict between those two concepts.

So I think I get it.. A seller can ask whatever they want for something but be prepared to be torn apart here for doing so?

lol

Let me say it again: part of it is, yes, "duh", but part of it is "hey, buddy...if you price these more reasonably, they'll actually sell, and who knows what the future may bring?"

Cautionary tale, in other words, in the hopes that people don't wait until it's too late.

I wish I'd slabbed and dumped ALL my moderns in 2007-2008. I didn't, and now I'm paying for it. Oh well.

No, no. I don't debate well live. I am a classic "that was a GREAT rebuttal...wish I'd thought of it 3 hours ago!" type of debator. That's why, in any serious discussion, I contemplate what I want to say for a while before responding. I very rarely post "off the cuff."

More answer than you were looking for, I bet. ;)

It certainly is much easier to exchange ideas and have discussion in person. Getting a written response can be subjective and also interpreted incorrectly by the other party without verbal explanations to help get the original point across.

No RMA - I actually enjoy MOST of your posts. :shy:

"Contemplate what you want to say for awhile before responding?" But over two hours?

:jokealert:

Indeed.

I think what you are saying is very conflicting. While anyone can ask whatever they want for anything they're selling, asking 4x GPA average is ridiculous. So I think I get it.. A seller can ask whatever they want for something but be prepared to be torn apart here for doing so?

Lord did you just ask for it.