• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Westerns (Silver Age)
7 7

2,230 posts in this topic

I think there are new collectors entering the category.

I've been dabbling in Kirby westerns for more than a decade, but I didn't get serious until I had all but run out of pre-hero Marvels to buy (last year or so).

I agree. There's truth to the mantra that you can always wait to find a better copy of any Silver Age comic book --- but that really only applies to the superhero books.

Western and teen books were genres that sold well, provided comfortable stories that didn't challenge conventions, and offered interesting and little seen cover art -- but were not collected at the time, except by the few.

They seem reasonably rare in any condition over a VF- and, in just my opinion, are a fine addition to any collection that has comic book history as part of its focus or rationale.

.... couldn't pass this one up..... Wildey, Crandall, Maneely (c/a), and more. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

TGW8.jpg

Just got this from Jimjum as a freebie :o Total class act seller! Thanks James! Amazing cover! :cloud9:

I was wondering what you Atlas/Marvel westen collectors considered to be the first Marvel Kid Colt. I figure with Two-Gun Kid and Rawhide Kid it's pretty obvious, but KC transitions slowly, with Jack Keller handling most of the interior art chores throughout and no shift in content or character evident.

Is it 75, the first post-implosion issue, 83, first Kirby cover, 99 first MC box on the cover, or some other benchmark?

The more I think about these sorts of things, the more I change my mind. Just a warning. Feel free to ignore me.

1st post-implosion, as you point out, has no real content difference, and may very well be comprised of old pre-implosion stock.

I'm all about Kirby, especially when it comes to westerns, so I'd be okay with his first cover being the breath of fresh, Silver Age air. But currently, I'm leaning towards January, 1959 cover dates (or closest equivalent, depending on title) as the start of Marvel, regardless of the title.

For an across the board date, I would agree with 1/59, which conveniently includes TTA 1 & TOS #1, and is when Kirby covers and content begin to appear in JIM and ST. It's pretty clear that Stan quickly started using Kirby to visually brand the post-implosion output, not just the fantasy titles, and as a result nothing says early Marvel more than a Kirby cover.

Even though the Atlas logo is gone on the late 1957 through 1958 releases, as you say, the content is probably mostly pre-implosion inventory, and except for the missing Atlas logo, they look just like the pre-implosion books.

For individual titles it gets a bit trickier ( like trying to determine the first SA issue of many DC titles), as the Kirby influence was delayed in most of the non-fantasy tiles, and the artist rosters for both covers and interiors remain the same past the Jan 59 cover date. While Kirby does a couple sporadic covers for TGK before becoming the regular cover artist in 1960, He and Ayers don't start doing interior TGK stories until a couple issues before the title folds in 1961, before coming back with a new Marvel Age TGK 19 months later.

You also have a title like Battle, which looks just like it's Atlas era incarnation until

the 6/59 issue #64 when Kirby takes over cover chores and starts contributing at least one story an issue.

Still I'm with you that regardless of cover date, once Kirby contributes a cover, the title is in the Marvel camp.

Picked these up on EBay. I guess westerns are pretty dead. 23 bucks each seems real cheap. Anyone like the 23 and are interested in one....a CGC 5.5 copy is on eBay going off in 30 minutes. (Not my book)

Kid Colt #23 and 49.

3254c948a8c31c1a46c176dd08187d8c_zps6b2a4878.jpg[/img]

35049ad948a71214a6b63a15081f9344_zpsd0388257.jpg[/img]

The lower grade stuff just doesen't seem to move. There is still some nice interest in higher grade and/or Pedigree books however, judging from some recent auctions. I have a few higher grade Kid Colt's coming up in the September ComicConnect Event auction and it should be a good barometer for where these books are at.

Picked these up on EBay. I guess westerns are pretty dead. 23 bucks each seems real cheap. Anyone like the 23 and are interested in one....a CGC 5.5 copy is on eBay going off in 30 minutes. (Not my book)

The lower grade stuff just doesen't seem to move. There is still some nice interest in higher grade and/or Pedigree books however, judging from some recent auctions. I have a few higher grade Kid Colt's coming up in the September ComicConnect Event auction and it should be a good barometer for where these books are at.

I would be interested in fine copy all day long for the issues I need. If you have any Kid Colts pre #84 keep me in mind! If you have any lower grade copies. I was really shocked I won the #49 for 23 bucks. Just figured it would have sold for more then that.

I would be interested in fine copy all day long for the issues I need. If you have any Kid Colts pre #84 keep me in mind! If you have any lower grade copies. I was really shocked I won the #49 for 23 bucks. Just figured it would have sold for more then that.

If I didn't already have 2 copies I would have bid higher :grin: