• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion Needed...

22 posts in this topic

I feel a little bored with collecting Bronze lately... The supply seems to be drying up (in the 9.8 dept. anyway). I want to focus on a new Marvel set rather than only buying keys and semi-keys. Essentially I need a new mission. Is BA Thor worth completing? I was thinking maybe high-grade Defenders might be fun to track down... Marvel Premiere? Two-in-one? Feature? etc... I would love to hear your opinions on what would be a fun set to start collecting. No horror or monster stuff, not my cup of tea.

Thanks for the input!

Ghost Rider vol. 1 would fit with your Champions set... Although it does stray into the Copper Age a bit. I think it ended in '81 or '82?

What are you looking for? A set you can complete quickly with good availability or something you'll have to work a while at? Defenders isn't bad since the prices are reasonable, especially in the 9.4-9.6 range. West Coast Avengers just doesn't have a high slabbing rate. You can get them at reasonable prices when someone has them but they aren't common. Some of the Marvel Premieres are very hard to come by in high grade.

I don't know much about Two-in-One but it shows up often and the prices are good. It was a good read when I used to collect it.

Looks like it might be a toss-up between Defenders & Hero for Hire/Power Man/Power Man & Iron Fist. Both are somewhat obscure, about the same length, don't foresee much competition for issues but I'm not sure how often graded later issues come up for sale...

Do you want to stick to encapsulated books, or will you collect HG unslabbed examples in your run? If the latter, do you intend to read them? Are there any particular artists or writers whose work you especially enjoy?

The Adams-then-Bucker-then-Perez Avengers run is cool, as is the Wrightson Swamp Thing, Aparo Spectre/Adventure, Adams Detectives, Thomas/Smith Conan, and of course the controversial early BA Spideys.

Ive just completed Marvel Two in One really easily, all raw and most in excellent condition for 40c. Great title.

One of my very faves from the 1970's (thumbs u

If you go with Hero for Hire / Powerman, I have a number of CGC 9.6/9.8 duplicates I could help you start with.

Looks like it might be a toss-up between Defenders & Hero for Hire/Power Man/Power Man & Iron Fist. Both are somewhat obscure, about the same length, don't foresee much competition for issues but I'm not sure how often graded later issues come up for sale...

Some very interesting not quite A-grade sets to buy in the 20-25 cent range:

1) Marvel Team-up - This represents some of the classic B-grade stuff from the 70's and is a personal fave of mine. I went after a 9.X raw set a few years ago and it didn't take me long to snag them, with a #4 being the toughest/most expensive.

2) Defenders - Another great 20-25 cent run of books, and I just love some of those early issues, like the first Val, Avengers-Defenders War, Squadron Sinister, etc. Just super stuff for the era.

3) Hero For Hire.Power-man - Those early HFH issues are some of my favorites, and I sat down to read that run one night and it was like a 70's time capsule.

I got into Thor for some of the very reasons you mentioned in your first post Dikran. It is a challenging series with some great books mixed in but not too expensive. There are not a lot of 9.8 copies already graded though so it would take some time.

I agree with the Defenders suggestion. The Avengers/Defenders War was one of my favorite bronze story arcs. And Marvel Team-Ups are affordable so if you like Spidey, that would be a fun run and 150 issues would certainly be a challenge.

Whetever you decide Dikran the bronze era is great to collect. Classic titles good prices and full of nostalgia (for me at least).

Hulk fights Thing in #46 but it isnt considered a classic (dont know why Howard the Duck appears).

I love the Hulk, I love Luke Cage and I love Thor, not an easy decision...

I always thought Invaders was a retread of the GA stories, are they original stories?