• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WE'RE NOT THAT FAR!!!

46 posts in this topic

I don't understand why so many people think that shipping to Canada is the same as shipping "international".....

Shipping to Canada from the U.S. is International. The shipping rates are in the public domain so no one should be surprised. The weight of the package is key.

Most carriers, (Us Postal Service, FEDEX, UPS, etc.), have a rate table published online. If you review it, the rates are higher than just shipping within the U.S. Especially for tracking and insurance purposes, you want to use the higher level of service (priority mail international, express mail, overnight mail, etc.).

Filling out insurance forms is not a big deal but does take a little more time in advance confirming information via e-mail with the buyer. I always have a few extra blank forms at home so no special trip is needed just to pick up forms. I fill out everything in advance.

Cheers!

Nelson

Again, I am aware that it costs more to ship to Canada then within your own country, but FAR LESS than shipping overseas...which is what some people seem to blanket as "international" It's the same here. Yes, it is cheaper to ship packages within my own country than to ship to the States, but once we enter the "International" shipping category, it goes exponentially higher...and yes, especially once you pass that 1 or 2 kg mark. In fact I sometimes get auction winners very mad at me, because they don't understand why shipping costs so much from me when the last auction they won, it didn't. Well, that's because the last auction you won was shipped out of the U.S. and not Canada. It seems our "International" shipping rates are more than yours...

I'm curious to see what I get for the $75 shipping charge that Comiclink charged me for one piece of artwork to Canada.

I'm always amazed to get people who think that I charge too much to ship to the USA from Canada, that they think I'm profiteering --- even when I'm using eBay's shipping calculator based on the size, weight and shipping method and it's determining the cost for them based on where they live.

How much was the piece?

How was it packed?

Masonite can be heavy. Some packing materials can add up in the weight dept.

A 2lb box from the States to Canada is $20.75. But a large flat rate box of any weight is $32.95.

Insurance on overseas shipping is like $1 per $100 after the first $100 or so, isn't it?

However, USPS will only allow $675 of insurance on packages sent via Priority.

Global Express Guaranteed for a comic art shaped package (20x1x15) is $54.75

Insure that piece for $2000 and the insurance cost is $19.00 That's $74.75. For that you get to know that if it's destroyed you'll get back more than $675 of your $2000.

That doesn't include the fact that I, unlike many art collectors, buy packing materials to send packages out. That mess's expensive, or it can be if you pack like a tank, as I tend to do.

I sent 1 piece to Brussels (an Alex Ross Kingdom Come piece) that was almost $300 to ship fully insured. The days of the $14.00 ship are long past. I try to factor it in when I'm sizing up the cost of a piece for myself.

Of course some folks need higher prices more than others for other reasons.

To cover gas/travel time for instance. For me to ship Fed Ex or UPS I have to drive an hour round trip unless I use Mailboxes Etc, which I refuse to trust. I usually just get my prices right off the website, but I give others some leeway because I knw how much expense can be incurred and that most people aren't as mellow as I am.

Still most I've bought from are generally reasonable in their shipping to me. Even the ones who shipped for $18 with a $9.00 stamp. I give the benefit of a doubt. I'd rather get it packed right and have it arrive safe than save a few bucks and get a mess package that's bent or worse.

-e.

How much was the piece?

How was it packed?

It's a US$320 piece... I don't know how it will be packed. I said I'm curious to see what that will get me, service-wise, as it has not arrived yet.

I know that generally, for protection during shipping I would use Canada Post's Expedited Shipping to the US (as it has tracking and insurance) - handled by the USPS on the US side... and the cost for artwork (shipped in a bubble mailer with layers of heavy cardboard around the artwork) is approximately US$14-17 depending on the State with the basic $100 Canadian insurance included... add approximately $1 for each additional $100 with a maximum coverage of $1000 (max. cost range US$23-26 for shipping with maximum allowed insurance).

I don't traditionally ship art worth more than 1K because of that issue... I usually arrange to meet the person if possible when I'm visiting for a convention.

I'm curious to see what I get for the $75 shipping charge that Comiclink charged me for one piece of artwork to Canada.

If its fed ex it will be a nice letter afterwards demanding payment for brokerage fees you never agreed to

If its fed ex it will be a nice letter afterwards demanding payment for brokerage fees you never agreed to

:cloud9:

Those letters should be :censored:ing illegal

If a courier like Fed Ex, UPS is used. The book/OA will automatically go through a broker. Unless you can't avoid using a courier, don't use them. Use the USPS. Package the item the best you can. Insure it, tracking number, etc... Otherwise your going to end up paying duty, fee's, etc.

If a courier like Fed Ex, UPS is used. The book/OA will automatically go through a broker. Unless you can't avoid using a courier, don't use them. Use the USPS. Package the item the best you can. Insure it, tracking number, etc... Otherwise your going to end up paying duty, fee's, etc.

Problem with USPS is there is no tracking unless you send it express. I guess for something valuable and light that isn't a problem but express mail isn't cheap either.

The cheapest way to send is UPS to Canada and list it as a $5 item so there are little if any fees.

Ugh... UPS.... doesn't matter if you put a value on it or not, they still charge an administrative fee.

I've never had a problem with people sending me items by USPS Priority mail. It has tracking and insurance.

USPS is the best way i have received art from the U.S. Firstly, there are the brokerage fees on top of the duty and taxes...(what exactly are those fees for may I ask? I'm being serious. I really don't know.) and also, if I am not around for my package, which is often the case...if it's USPS sent, I just go to my post office outlet down the street to pick it up... if it's UPS or FEDEX I have to go way the heck out (UPS is particularly far) to the freakin' depot to pick it up. So what exactly am I paying the extra fees for? The terrible service?

And yes Kevin, I actually had to talk to the Comiclink people because they wanted to charge me $50 to send a $7 page. After much arguing and offering to pay for the piece without having it shipped to me, they knocked it down to the much more reasonable (and honest) price of $23.

YEAH, DO NOT get me started on UPS. They wanted to charge me a $50 Brokerage fee for a sweater (THAT WAS MINE, AND 2 YEARS OLD!!!) I had forgot at a friends house in Alabama. Man did I do some yelling on that one...and I don;t yell very often.

Ugh... UPS.... doesn't matter if you put a value on it or not, they still charge an administrative fee.

I've never had a problem with people sending me items by USPS Priority mail. It has tracking and insurance.

There is no online tracking with USPS priority. You need express for that. Anything less and you are subject to a paypal chargeback.

There is no online tracking with USPS priority. You need express for that. Anything less and you are subject to a paypal chargeback.

Take another look then:

http://www.usps.com/international/sendpackages.htm

Says on the USPS site there is tracking available to most International destinations using PRIORITY MAIL INTERNATIONAL, and I know I've been given the tracking numbers for previous PMI shipments I've received from friends and associates in the US.

Just don't use the PRIORITY FLAT RATE BOX.

http://www.usps.com/international/prioritymailinternational.htm

Take another look. Says on the USPS site there is tracking available and I know I've been given the tracking numbers for previous Priority shipments I've received. Just don't use the PRIORITY FLAT RATE BOX.

The customs declaration form number is the tracking number.

There IS tracking for USPS priority. I just got one yesterday. Had a Paul Pope piece sent to me with tracking for $20.75...with foam core and stiff cardboard AND all inside a padded envelope. That is what I expect to pay for shipping from the U.S. Around $25-$30. Not $40, not $50, definitely not $75 and $500 is just being ridiculous.

And I don't know what a brokerage fee is. That's why I asked. USPS doesn't have them, its just UPS and sometimes FED EX.

They wanted to charge me a $50 Brokerage fee

What is a brokerage fee? Living in the US I've never had to pay one and had all sort of things delivered to me from all over.

You don't Generally pay Brokerage Fees in USA

When goods come across the border there may be duty and taxes due. Couriers will take care of this for you, charging what's called a "brokerage fee." You won't see the charge on items going by air because it's included in the price. The brokerage fee applies only on items shipped by ground.

Well, this isn't a fee imposed by the Canadian government, but by your courier company (UPS, FedEx, or USPS/Canada Post). The courier company is charging you for providing customs service: being your agent when "clearing" your parcel across the border. This fee can run $40 or $50 dollars, even when purchasing a $20 item.

http://www.photoprice.ca/article/tax-duty-brokerage-demystified

Luckily, there are a few ways to avoid expensive brokerage fees. First, if you choose United States Postal Service (USPS) as a shipping option, Canada Post will only charge a $8 brokerage fee (payable when you pay any applicable taxes incurred). This is likely your cheapest option. When USPS isn't available, use FedEx Priority or UPS Expedited. These shipping options have brokerage fees included. Avoid UPS/FedEx Ground. Ground shipping plus brokerage fees will cost more than the Priority or Expedited options. Make sure before you buy. Check out UPS' rates for Customs Clearance into Canada. We couldn't find FedEx's fees listed online.

Warning! UPS charges a brokerage fee of $4.50 per line beyond the first 5 lines on the customs form. Generally this means if you buy more than 5 different items, expect extra brokerage charges.

Just got a package in. I was charged $40 for shipping. Amount on the stamp...$23 Packaged with FREE USPS cardboard boxes. Again, I don't mind adding a little bit of money, but $17 more??? I just don't think it's fair.

Take another look. Says on the USPS site there is tracking available and I know I've been given the tracking numbers for previous Priority shipments I've received. Just don't use the PRIORITY FLAT RATE BOX.

The customs declaration form number is the tracking number.

No online tracking no protection from paypal chargebacks.