• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ones your regret letting go of

65 posts in this topic

my strawberry shortcake #24 in g/vg condition :cloud9:

Strawberry Shortcake only ran six issues :baiting:

See how valuable that issue was. It was a variant edition that mistakenly had "24" on the cover."

What a loss! :insane:

No regrets!
+1
+2

To say I have regrets would be incorrect, as comic books are just things. At any rate, there is one book I would like to have back. However, I can't say I didn't do what was right for me a the time.

First this one: :cry:

RangersComics_26_9-2.jpg

And then this one: :cry::cry:

Rangers26BigApple.jpg

Oh well, both belong to other board members now so it's all good.

btw my copy is featured in the current Alter Ego #85 with credit to me :) I'll post a pic when I'm not feeling too lazy.

I had a really early Avengers in great shape I traded for a second copy of (Uncanny) X-Men #129.

*sigh*

-slym

And did you at least keep the UX129?

Yes, I still have it (I think)

The Avengers was a NM-/NM copy of #16, the "new line-up" of Avengers back then.

-slym

I had a really early Avengers in great shape I traded for a second copy of (Uncanny) X-Men #129.

*sigh*

-slym

And did you at least keep the UX129?

Yes, I still have it (I think)

The Avengers was a NM-/NM copy of #16, the "new line-up" of Avengers back then.

-slym

Well, at least you kept it so it meant more to you, right?

Just saying

Back when I owned my own comic store (1997-1999), I found myself bringing my own books into the store for sale -- partly to satisfy customer requests, and partly to raise the quality of our store's back stock (which was heavy on SA DC, but light on SA Marvel).

As many key books as we sold that had originated from my own collection, I have four sales that stand out today as books I regret selling (though at the time, the sales were necessary and justified for financial reasons).

I sold a set of Flash #123 and Justice League #21-22 to one of our best regular customers -- it was a partial case sale, partial trade, as we picked up a run of Uncanny from 96-300 (which we sold pretty easily over the following months). These three books were some of my favorites from a large DC collection we had -- over time, I ended up purchasing most of the books from the collection for myself -- and if I hadn't sold them to this customer, I'd have those beauties today. :(

While those weren't "technically" from my own collection, the other three examples were. I sold a Daredevil #1 (somewhere in between a VG and Fine, IIRC) when I had a table at Megacon in Orlando. That was one of the first major keys I'd ever purchased, and it hurt to let it go. I told myself I'd get another one eventually -- unfortunately, I'm still waiting.

At my store, I sold my copy of Amazing Spider-Man #121 (along with a store copy of Showcase #34) to a buyer looking for something for him and his son to invest in. While the Showcase was nice, it didn't compare to the #121 -- which to this day, is the nicest copy of the book I've ever seen. If I still owned it, I'd have sent it to CGC -- IMO, it would have graded at least a 9.4. My ASM collection is nearly finished -- but I'm still looking to replace that beautiful copy. :cry:

Finally, I had picked up a TOS #39 that I displayed in the store -- it was an absolutely gorgeous NM copy that I brought to Megacon the first year we traveled to the convention. We sold it in the first few hours for full guide to a collector who'd come to the convention solely for the purpose of picking up that book. I'd didn't ever regret selling the book (it did make our show, after all) -- until the book took a huge jump in the last few years. :pullhair:

Secret Wars

TKJ 1st print (nothing major but OO from when I was a kid)

Punisher Limited Series

My entire first Batman/Tec collection

My entire first Preacher collection

And to note, I didn't let go of any of 'em. A mad ex girlfriend binned them all :mad:

We need to know more about this mad ex girlfriend hm

Maybe we could form a mob Simpsons style. We'll do it after the BCC.

Secret Wars

TKJ 1st print (nothing major but OO from when I was a kid)

Punisher Limited Series

My entire first Batman/Tec collection

My entire first Preacher collection

And to note, I didn't let go of any of 'em. A mad ex girlfriend binned them all :mad:

We need to know more about this mad ex girlfriend hm

Maybe we could form a mob Simpsons style. We'll do it after the BCC.

It was 11 years ago now, and I don't even know where she is anymore.

Basically we split up and I moved all of my stuff except for my comics, said I'd be back for them next week.

So I went back and they'd been binned. I ran to the bin frantically only to find the binmen had been and they'd ended up in the back of the wagon :cry:

She knew how to hit me where it hurt :(

Turtles 1. Bone 1.

I was an early adopter of both series and had pretty copies of both (Multis on the Bone) and eventually sold them for what was at the time really good money, but nothing compared to the numbers they pull today.

Cerebus 1 also, but I've told the story before, replaced my copy dirt cheap a couple years ago.

Forbidden Worlds 73, first Herbie. Haven't seen a copy since...