• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHEW, from Image Comics
1 1

6,765 posts in this topic

I think the writing on the wall has been there for this, for almost a year. if it was going to happen, it already would have.

chew_titanic.jpg

Close to the network? (shrug)

No, no inside track, and my titanic chew pic is just for laughs, I was posting it before this news as you know.

I could go an dig up some of the articles on why I have been a "sell" on Chew to use the stock term, for at least 9 months. I do think that it has been wishful thinking to those saying the show would still get made.

All that being said, my main modern I collect is Fatale, which has seen 9.8s of issues sell for as low as $8. I am definitely not knocking books for not being "speculative" plays, and i am ALL for reading and buying what one loves.

I guess my Chew thing pre-dates my posting on this forum. I have had a lot of arguments with a lot of people that Chew would not go the distance, and got mocked soundly for it. So, I guess my playful teasing is just my vindication in being right that the show wouldnt get made.

It definitely will be interesting to see how things go with the price moving forward. I do think it will always be considered a significant modern era book, with a low print run. In the short term though, I have no doubt prices will dip as those not committed to the book start to look elsewhere.

Last three listings for Chew #1 (raw and NM) since the announcement about Showtime not making a show have been: $430, $360, and $420. A Chew #1 (CGC graded) sold for $510.

If the prices stay steady and Chew keeps its value even without a TV deal in place, I think the prices could skyrocket if another station somehow picks it up. Really glad that one of my favorite comic books ever is staying strong on the secondary market, even though I don't have many extra issues to sell.

way too many people have invested WAY too much money in it for it to just flame out. If it trends down it wont be quick, and a couple auctions isnt going to show it.

Using GPA:

For a 9.8 Blue

12 Month Avg

$553

90 Day Avg

$551

So a very solid price set, with the 90 day and 12 month average being identical. The last sale is $511, down almost 10%, but that is just one sale. The thing to watch is the 90 day average, probably worth checking once a month. If the book is trending down, it will show up there as a continuing decline of the 90 day avg.