• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHEW, from Image Comics
1 1

6,765 posts in this topic

I'm with you. Long, steady decline into increasing sales, NY Times Bestseller Lists, International Bestsellers Lists, cartoons, toys, shirts, other assorted merch and maybe even a live-action show. And maybe another Eisner or two. Yep. Toilet-BOUND. Writing is ON. THE. WALL.

Imagine how popular this book would be if a good artist drew it! :makepoint:

I'm with you. Long, steady decline into increasing sales, NY Times Bestseller Lists, International Bestsellers Lists, cartoons, toys, shirts, other assorted merch and maybe even a live-action show. And maybe another Eisner or two. Yep. Toilet-BOUND. Writing is ON. THE. WALL.

Hi Rob, welcome to the board, always nice when creators visit us. If you have read all my posts on Chew, you would see that I have said VERY specifically, that I was speaking about secondary market value. I never said anything negative regarding the books achievements, awards, etc.

If you think people should be paying $600 for a book, ANY book, printed as recently as Chew, then we respectfully disagree. I do hope Chew manages to become a show eventually (for your benefit, and the benefit of the other creators, not for the secondary market).

All that being said, each of us has our roles. Your create comic books, I run a software company. and I also happen to have a project in development related to comic books. Part of that project involves recommendations and valuations of books.

I understand the sarcasm and defensiveness when talking about a personal creation. I do hope you realize that all I have said, is referring to what people pay on the secondary market, and has nothing to do with the actual book itself.

If someone buys Chew #1 for $100 dollars, I think they are getting a deal. If they buy it for $500, I think they are overpaying. I think because of the potential show, people over paid for Chew for a long time. I think the trend of the SECONDARY MARKET will continue to be a long slow decline because of past overpaying. I think the fact that a show might get made is less likely now than it was before. These are my opinions, based on the information available. For me to tell people anything other than my actual opinion would be dishonest. I can also say that if a show does get made, the book will go up again significantly.

The modern comic market has a very large bubble, people overpaying for books does not benefit you or any other creators. In fact, its harms them long term in my opinion.

I have no doubt it will continue to rise in readership, win more awards, and always be one of the top tier comics of the modern age. If there are new details about a show, you can certainly break the news for us on the boards :)

Cheers

if you knew what it was, you wouldnt joke about it.

As for my response, its a discussion board, I merely explained my opinion fully. My views on the secondary market remain unchanged, but I wanted to clarify I was not speaking of the primary market.

Any well written, well received comic book should always continue to trend up in readership. Anyone who was buying chew only for speculation, isnt going to have it on a pull list. I see no effect whatsoever to the primary market. It will continue unaffected

What happened to collecting a title just because you enjoy it? Why are most currently focused on how to squeeze every last cent out of every book they can?

I collect Chew because its a fantastic book. I'm not out there looking to maximize profits by buying 30 of each issue in anticipation of it blowing up or containing a first appearance of a major character.

Seems like the recent influx of members here only have profiteering on their minds as opposed to the story in the book.

the thread got bumped up by people discussing the change in news about the show. Chew has been priced well above the buy and flip books seeing the flood of new people, for a long time.

I agree, it would be nice if a lot more of the modern threads focused only on the content. If you are a big chew fan, you should do your part and be bumping the thread every month talking about the latest issue.

I do think its very fair game to discuss major news in a books thread though, whether it happens to have an impact on secondary market valuations or not.

if you knew what it was, you wouldnt joke about it.

As for my response, its a discussion board, I merely explained my opinion fully. My views on the secondary market remain unchanged, but I wanted to clarify I was not speaking of the primary market.

Any well written, well received comic book should always continue to trend up in readership. Anyone who was buying chew only for speculation, isnt going to have it on a pull list. I see no effect whatsoever to the primary market. It will continue unaffected

I wasn't joking and hope things improve. Your response to Rob was........I can't even describe it so I posted :facepalm:

My comment after that was a suggestion that perhaps not responding like you did was the preferred course of action.

well, i dont see the issue with my post. My goal was to agree with him regarding the books quality, and readership, and explain why i said what i said about the secondary market.

If i get blasted for it, so be it I guess. I certainly wasnt trying to be rude or disrespectful to him or his work.

I like this summary much better.

I will admit that you welcoming Rob to the boards did make me laugh given he's been here for quite a bit longer than you.

As for the secondary market I guess we will agree to disagree. I see quite a few assumptions in your post and have no idea what they're based on.

I will admit that you welcoming Rob to the boards did make me laugh given he's been here for quite a bit longer than you.

ah, well, i just saw the 3 post count (while being several pages back), and thought he was new to them. I didnt actually check the date on his profile. Figured the other two posts would have also been in this thread, in the 3 plus pages that had come since I posted last.

Not that it matters, but I have been a lurker on this boards for many years before getting sucked into actually posting this year.

Edited by CBT

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. No harm no foul.

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion. There are reactions to every action so your no harm- no foul doesn't really work.