• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GobbledyGook #1 First Print *Error*

22 posts in this topic

I recently acquired copies of GobbledyGook 1 and 2 First Prints directly from Kevin Eastman. Upon inspecting the books, I noticed a production error in GobbledyGook #1. 4 of the pages are printed twice (two of each page, totaling 8 pages). When I asked Kevin about it, he said he had never seen that before. Being fairly well connected with other collectors in the Ninja Turtle community, I was able to compare my copy of the book with 4 other confirmed authentic copies. None of the books had the error. So this leads me to believe that this copy of Gobbledygook is the only one with the error (which isnt really impossible to swallow, as all 50 copies were pieced together by Kevin and Peter by hand). Anyway, I am trying to find out if anyone else either has a copy of the book with this error or if they have ever seen it.

Below you will find a link to the pages of the book. The pages in question are those marked with alpha numeric titles.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Stephan

GobbledyGook #1 Error http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v247/JNCOPosterboy/The%20Collection/Comics/GobbledyGook%20First%20Print/Issue%201/

I'd LOVE to help you out with this as that GobbledyGook is a grail of mine. Suffice to say that if you've compared it to 4 other known copies, it's probably strictly a hand-made error as you mentioned.

Sounds like a 1 of 1 error. Great provenance of getting the book directly from Kevin Eastman. Can you divulge some information of how that took place? Seems like an interesting story on getting a grail.

Brian

Sure thing!

I'm an avid collector of ninja turtle toys, comics, and general TMNT rarities (prototypes, original art, etc). Some years ago I had the turtles tattooed down my right arm ( pics). After which I went down to SDCC and had him sign my arm so I could have his signature inked in (also doing the same with Peter at NYCC the next year). Since then we've become pretty good friends.

A few months ago I was involved with an upcoming TMNT documentary ( found here) in which the documentary team was able to organize a reunion with the original TMNT voice cast at Kevin's home. A few days earlier when we were there to set up, I had asked Kevin if I could purchase some original art from him I knew he had (some City at War pages), and I casually asked him if he had any copies of GobbledyGook 1 and 2. He told me he would check while he was finding the pages I wanted, and that was the end of it...

The day of the documentary shoot, Kevin shows up with the art I had purchased, and an envelope. I gave him the money for the art, and he handed me the art and the envelope. I said "What is this?" and he winks and me and says "Go check it out"

So I walk into the makeshift green room we made out of one of the bedrooms, and I open the envelope. It took every ounce of energy I had to refrain myself from screaming as I pulled out the copies of GobbledyGook 1 and 2. Kevin had gifted both of them to me.

As I'm sure some of you are skeptical about the story (as I know I would be), here are a couple pictures of Kevin and I with the books in his kitchen. The second picture is wrapped in spoiler tags because the make shift "certificate" he made out of the envelope contains profanity.

_DSC0094pjpeg.jpg

_DSC0098_01pjpeg.jpg

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't be interested in acquiring these books from anyone else besides Kevin or Peter, as they are the only ones who can authenticate the books with 100% certainty.

Let me know if you have any other questions :-)

Sure thing!

I'm an avid collector of ninja turtle toys, comics, and general TMNT rarities (prototypes, original art, etc). Some years ago I had the turtles tattooed down my right arm ( pics). After which I went down to SDCC and had him sign my arm so I could have his signature inked in (also doing the same with Peter at NYCC the next year). Since then we've become pretty good friends.

A few months ago I was involved with an upcoming TMNT documentary ( found here) in which the documentary team was able to organize a reunion with the original TMNT voice cast at Kevin's home. A few days earlier when we were there to set up, I had asked Kevin if I could purchase some original art from him I knew he had (some City at War pages), and I casually asked him if he had any copies of GobbledyGook 1 and 2. He told me he would check while he was finding the pages I wanted, and that was the end of it...

The day of the documentary shoot, Kevin shows up with the art I had purchased, and an envelope. I gave him the money for the art, and he handed me the art and the envelope. I said "What is this?" and he winks and me and says "Go check it out"

So I walk into the makeshift green room we made out of one of the bedrooms, and I open the envelope. It took every ounce of energy I had to refrain myself from screaming as I pulled out the copies of GobbledyGook 1 and 2. Kevin had gifted both of them to me.

As I'm sure some of you are skeptical about the story (as I know I would be), here are a couple pictures of Kevin and I with the books in his kitchen. The second picture is wrapped in spoiler tags because the make shift "certificate" he made out of the envelope contains profanity.

_DSC0094pjpeg.jpg

_DSC0098_01pjpeg.jpg

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't be interested in acquiring these books from anyone else besides Kevin or Peter, as they are the only ones who can authenticate the books with 100% certainty.

Let me know if you have any other questions :-)

Kevin better watch it...Arch will ban him for profanity....

lol

Seriously, it's nice to know that there are more Turtles people around here who know that Gobbledygook was limited to 50 copies. I can't tell you how many people insisted that it was 150.

independent confirmation is a great thing!

Seriously, it's nice to know that there are more Turtles people around here who know that Gobbledygook was limited to 50 copies. I can't tell you how many people insisted that it was 150.

Most likely cause that stupid yellow counterfeit copy says 150 copies in it.

Totally! And it is the best I can get since the CGC won't grade them.

On that note, if anyone knows of a hard case that is comparable to the CGC cases, I would appreciate a recommendation. Right now I have them sitting in a safety deposit box for lack of a good display case.

Edit: Also, is there a good appraisal resource you guys could recommend? As rare as the regular GobbledyGook books are, I haven't the slightest idea where to begin on assigning a value to a 1 of 1 error. Please don't take the question as the book being for sale. Cause it isn't...ever.

The value of an authentic Gobbeldygook is sky high because of the rarity of the book and the demand for it.

I doubt though that the 1 to 1 error would make it worth that much more than just a normal one. The book is so rare that a printing/assembly error might not stand out as much as a book in either condition is a true White Whale. I would take either I could get and be really happy.

I am a huge Turtles fan. I highly covet the two Gobbledygook issues but know that I will probably never own them.

First off, if I have an extra grand or two lying around (not sure as to what the price might be on a guaranteed original) , I might put it into something a little different like say some Kirby OA.

How did you go about dealing directly with Eastman and what was the price range?

If you dont wanna disclose what you paid, I understand (or you can pm it to me if you wanna keep it private).

Gratz on obtaining one of the hardest books in all of collecting, IMO...

Most likely cause that stupid yellow counterfeit copy says 150 copies in it.

Fo sho. When I first heard about the "150 copies" thing, I even doubted myself, because so many people were quoting that figure (and still are), but after some info straight from Pete and Kevin themselves, I doubted no more.

Totally! And it is the best I can get since the CGC won't grade them.

On that note, if anyone knows of a hard case that is comparable to the CGC cases, I would appreciate a recommendation. Right now I have them sitting in a safety deposit box for lack of a good display case.

Edit: Also, is there a good appraisal resource you guys could recommend? As rare as the regular GobbledyGook books are, I haven't the slightest idea where to begin on assigning a value to a 1 of 1 error. Please don't take the question as the book being for sale. Cause it isn't...ever.

Best guess estimates, only. I don't think enough people are going to put enough value on it being an "error" to make much of a difference. It might even LOWER the value, because people in that stratosphere of collecting prefer normal copies.

But I'd say the thing's reasonably worth $1000-$2000. Very hard to nail down values on stuff this rare, and if they sold for $3-$4k, I would not be surprised.

Welcome Archon,

Since you're a TMNT collector, maybe you know some info. about the 1" high TMNT lead characters set that was sold in the inside front cover of the comic book when it first came out. I think it was issue #3 or earlier. When I was young, I saw issue #3 hit the stands when I started collecting comics and also at my comic shop the lead characters set and picked up both sets they had for sale (that are still sealed). Just wondering how rare or common they are?

Thanks for making me feel so welcome guys! Normally breaking into a new forum can prove to be a bit of a shoot in terms of reception :-)

About your miniatures. They're great aren't they? they were made in conjunction with the TMNT roleplaying game by palladium (the makers of RIFTS). They went on to make a few other sets that included Shredder, the terror bears, and more.

As far as rarity, they are pretty scarce, yes. And I usually see them fetch between 50 and 100 on ebay. Hope that helps!