• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sending comics to an inmate

12 posts in this topic

I found out today a childhood friend (who is the person who got me into comics) is in prison in California. I don't know what he is in for, or for how long, or even where yet, but was wondering if anyone knows about sending comics, or even books in general, to inmates in California?

I looked on the department of corrections website, but unless I missed it, can't see to find any details on what I can send, only that if I visit (which I wouldn't anyway) I can't bring any printed material.

Thanks for any info.

Steve

We sometimes send books to inmates here in Baltimore through Borders. While the requirements are probably different, we are not allowed to ship hard cover books. Wish I could help more!

I work in a correctional institute and our requirements are

1. Sent directly from the Publisher complete with invoice

2. No hardbacks

3. The writing or pictures in the literature can not contain anything that would be considered nude, violent, or a security threat.

Also know that the books will be screened before your friend receives them

Federal Prisons may have a greater allowance

I would think they wouldn't allow anything of a too adult nature or crime related.

Send some well known super hero books like Batman or Superman and they'll probably be widely known enough to pass any inspection.

Drake, are you in CA? And if so can books be sent straight from Borders or Amazon like BL suggested?

I was basicly thinking of sending superhero stuff because I didn't think most of the Vertigo type stuff would be allowed anyway.

Of course I really need to find out what he's in for before I put too much effort into this. I haven't seen this person in 12 years or so, and have no idea what he's been up to in that time.

Steve

Drake, are you in CA? And if so can books be sent straight from Borders or Amazon like BL suggested?

I was basicly thinking of sending superhero stuff because I didn't think most of the Vertigo type stuff would be allowed anyway.

Of course I really need to find out what he's in for before I put too much effort into this. I haven't seen this person in 12 years or so, and have no idea what he's been up to in that time.

Steve

No unfortunately I am not in Cali however most correctional institutions have the same base regulations. Can you say which institution your friend is at?

BL is correct that the books can be sent straight from Borders, Amazons, B&N, etc. In fact it may be a requirement. You can make the purchase or even the inmates can order them directly.

Typically you can't send personal books or buy them, take them home, then send it yourself.

As far as content goes.. so long as its not super explicit sexually, or doesn't contain stories that can show inmates how to escape, riot, etc... you should be good to go.

My advice is send superhero mainstream TPB's and you should be fine.

I work for the California Department of Corrections. I'll ask around next week and see if I can get a specific answer to your question.