• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine #1 (1982) sells for $15,000+

226 posts in this topic

It's funny that on a message board where so many claim to be collecting with disposable income, price and future viability play such a prominent role in evaluating the "sanity" of these record breaking transactions.

I would argue that paying 15K for a Wolverine #1 with disposable income is much more "sane" than spending 15K on an AF 15, and spending 2 years paying it off. I'm in the minority, obviously, as I believe that most of you would applaud the latter.

My "disposable income" is not garbage to be burned. It is money, and like all my money I try to spend it wisely. I agree, putting comics on credit cards is huge mistake in most cases, but you should not imply that a questionable purchase is not questionable if made with disposable income. Correct me if am wrong, but that seems to be your arguement here??

(shrug)

I agree. A person can do with their money as they wish but I would posit that someone who makes this kind of purchase has a skewed perspective and is not likely very wise with his money regardless of how much he may have.

I just want to know where all these sentimental , insane insufficiently_thoughtful_persons are when I'm selling ? :frustrated:

It's funny that on a message board where so many claim to be collecting with disposable income, price and future viability play such a prominent role in evaluating the "sanity" of these record breaking transactions.

I would argue that paying 15K for a Wolverine #1 with disposable income is much more "sane" than spending 15K on an AF 15, and spending 2 years paying it off. I'm in the minority, obviously, as I believe that most of you would applaud the latter.

My "disposable income" is not garbage to be burned. It is money, and like all my money I try to spend it wisely. I agree, putting comics on credit cards is huge mistake in most cases, but you should not imply that a questionable purchase is not questionable if made with disposable income. Correct me if am wrong, but that seems to be your arguement here??

(shrug)

What's garbage to you may not be garbage to someone else. Spending 15K of disposable income on this comic may be questionable to you, but may make perfect sense to the buyer.

Disposable income is just that - disposable. Making judgements about what is worthy of someone else's disposable income and what isn't, is just another form of "what I collect is awesome, what you collect sucks".

Again, if you're buying with purely disposable income, an AF 15, Wolverine #1, or 15,000 dollar books for 15K is equally inconsequential financially, so it really just comes down to "whatever floats your boat". You're in no position to judge that for someone else.

(shrug)

What's garbage to you may not be garbage to someone else. Spending 15K of disposable income on this comic may be questionable to you, but may make perfect sense to the buyer.

Disposable income is just that - disposable. Making judgements about what is worthy of someone else's disposable income and what isn't, is just another form of "what I collect is awesome, what you collect sucks".

Again, if you're buying with purely disposable income, an AF 15, Wolverine #1, or 15,000 dollar books for 15K is equally inconsequential financially, for the buyer in question, so it really just comes down to "whatever floats your boat". You're in no position to judge that for someone else.

Even if I'm a bezillionaire...it's still STUPID! :insane:

Just cuz I have an extra 5$ in my pocket doesnt mean I should blow my nose with it. Disposable or not, stupid spending will eventually put even the richest person on the road to MC Hammerville

Disposable or not, stupid spending will eventually put even the richest person on the road to MC Hammerville

Jesus Christ on a pogo stick.

This would be a much better discussion if some of you understood the meaning of disposable income.

:makepoint:

:screwy: Man, you just breathe on that slab and it gets a downgrade... :eek:

I'd love to crack out a 10.0 and re-sub it.

I wonder what it would get next time.

9.9?

9.8?

maybe 9.6?

I wish I'd bought that 10 when it sold for around $3800....argh.

Imagine how upset the guy who sold it for $3800 is. :sorry:

Maybe a collection should be taken up for him. :idea:

:roflmao:

C

Oh, you're naughty.

;)

At least the guy didn't leave any money on the able by not getting it pressed....

:insane:

It's only a matter of time....

ItGoesto11.jpg

that's not the actual book with the 10 being photoshopped is it? the book doesn't even have WHITE pages!?!?! :screwy:

That's the real book...

Here's the scan...I just copied the "1" over the "0"

wolverine-1-cgc-10.jpg

and the certification

Certification # 0790587006

Grade Date 03/24/2009

Title Wolverine Limited Series

Issue 1

Issue Date 9/82

Publisher Marvel Comics

Country

Variant

Pedigree

Category Modern

Grade 10.0

Page Quality OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Grade Text

Art Comments Chris Claremont story

Frank Miller & Joe Rubinstein cover/art

Key Comments 1st solo Wolverine comic.

Yukio cameo on last page.

I cringe every time I see someone saying they are still paying off a comic book they bought 3-18 months ago.

When I say I "bought" a big comic book, I mean, bought.

And like Andrew, (and JC and a couple others around here who have expressed similar views), when I say it's spent money, I mean that too. Don't get me wrong, the day ever comes that I have to or want to sell, I'll seek out good value, but the money was gone when I purchased the books.

Disposable or not, stupid spending will eventually put even the richest person on the road to MC Hammerville

This would be a much better discussion if some of you understood the meaning of disposable income.

Well ''disposable income'' is what's left over after paying taxes (before essentials are paid for) if you meant ''discretionary income'' (the amount left over after taxes & essentials are paid) different story. :foryou:

:screwy: Man, you just breathe on that slab and it gets a downgrade... :eek:

I'd love to crack out a 10.0 and re-sub it.

I wonder what it would get next time.

9.9?

9.8?

maybe 9.6?

thats the thing that I think is nuts. paying crazy multiples for something that very well may be a 9.8 or 9.9. The other weird thing is this book has off white to white pages?

I don't personally don't think anything can be 9.8 or better and not have white pages. Others may disagree with that but I find it strange.

If Wolverine had a grade of 11.0 it still wouldnt be worth 15,000. I guess there might be disposable income and Flush your money down the toilet income.

But it goes to 11!!!

spinal_tap_but_it_goes_to_eleven.jpg

Well ''disposable income'' is what's left over after paying taxes (before essentials are paid for) if you meant ''discretionary income'' (the amount left over after taxes & essentials are paid) different story. :foryou:

In the context of this discussion, I'm using "disposable income" to denote "play money", which I made clear in my previous posts.

On second thought--I like the person who spent $15,000 on Wolverine #1. it makes all my purchases look like nothing.

I wonder if the guy who spent 15,000 on Wolvering #1 is married. "You spent how much"?? :cry: