• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine #1 (1982) sells for $15,000+

226 posts in this topic

Which brings up the funny thing about fictional characters. You can do anything with them, and if you want to change something, you just...change it. hm

Of course, and Marvel does so regularly in comic form, but what happens in movies, stays in movies.

Remember Wolverine in the animated series, he was Australian. But who cares, it was just a stupid cartoon, just like the movies.

Which brings up the funny thing about fictional characters. You can do anything with them, and if you want to change something, you just...change it. hm

Of course, and Marvel does so regularly in comic form, but what happens in movies, stays in movies.

Remember Wolverine in the animated series, he was Australian. But who cares, it was just a stupid cartoon, just like the movies.

The sound of his voice from the episode of Spider-man & his Amazing Friends is burned in my brain. "Now it's my turn..." lol

Jeez, if you can't make fun of someone for spending $15K on a Wolverine #1, who can you make fun of? :P

As far as I'm concerned, people can spend their money however they like, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. That said, after I saw the auction results for the Wolverine #1 CGC 10 and the X-Men #141 CGC 9.9, I pinged Foolkiller on IM and told him that I had lost my remaining faith in humanity (seriously, I did). :(

If you have the money and it floats your boat, by all means, buy the book for $15K. I'm not going to argue that the label doesn't mean anything or that there's no difference between a 9.6/9.8 and a 10 (because there is). However, don't be surprised if you take some stick for it either; that's the price you pay for your :screwy: desires and priorities. :baiting:

Gene

Speaking from the perspective of a collector who has had, "this guy is crazy for spending this much for that book" threads started about me in the past, I would like to tell all of you who said those books would never go up in value, "I told you so." :)

th_X-Men113CGC99OWW.jpgth_UncannyX-Men135CGC99W.jpgth_UncannyX-Men137CGC99OWW.jpgth_UncannyX-Men143CGC99W.jpg

Speaking from the perspective of a collector who has had, "this guy is crazy for spending this much for that book" threads started about me in the past, I would like to tell all of you who said those books would never go up in value, "I told you so." :)

th_X-Men113CGC99OWW.jpgth_UncannyX-Men135CGC99W.jpgth_UncannyX-Men137CGC99OWW.jpgth_UncannyX-Men143CGC99W.jpg

Assuming you bought them slabbed, and sold them the same way, do you have the prices and dates so we can do a little financial analysis?

Jeez, if you can't make fun of someone for spending $15K on a Wolverine #1, who can you make fun of? :P

As far as I'm concerned, people can spend their money however they like, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. That said, after I saw the auction results for the Wolverine #1 CGC 10 and the X-Men #141 CGC 9.9, I pinged Foolkiller on IM and told him that I had lost my remaining faith in humanity (seriously, I did). :(

If you have the money and it floats your boat, by all means, buy the book for $15K. I'm not going to argue that the label doesn't mean anything or that there's no difference between a 9.6/9.8 and a 10 (because there is). However, don't be surprised if you take some stick for it either; that's the price you pay for your :screwy: desires and priorities. :baiting:

Gene

Good point. Nice summation. And most people with experience can tell the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8. However, even among experts there is only a grey area between a 9.8, 9.9 and 10.0. Sheesh, if a 10.0 can have OW-W pages, and the members here are all split on the fact if that is 'correct' or not, it just proved the point.

And don't we all scoff at the eBay people that list raw books as 9.9 or 10.0, because, in real raw book life, those grades are meaningless?

Assuming you bought them slabbed, and sold them the same way, do you have the prices and dates so we can do a little financial analysis?

My comment was intended to be a bit tongue in cheek Vince rather than an attempt to justify the prices that I paid, or the price paid in the auctions mentioned in this thread. I generally agree with Gene's comments that if you pay big bucks for a book, you can expect some razzing on the Boards. But, my general response any time someone says, "It isn't worth that much" about a book I bought is, "It is to me."

My comment was intended to be a bit tongue in cheek Vince rather than an attempt to justify the prices that I paid, or the price paid in the auctions mentioned in this thread. I generally agree with Gene's comments that if you pay big bucks for a book, you can expect some razzing on the Boards. But, my general response any time someone says, "It isn't worth that much" about a book I bought is, "It is to me."

That reply is a waste of pixels. Can you believe the X-Men 141 9.9 went for $14,000!?! :o

:hi:

That reply is a waste of pixels. Can you believe the X-Men 141 9.9 went for $14,000!?! :o

:hi:

Honestly, I was surprised. The market for mint CGC bronze/copper books from core Marvel titles has been very agressive for the past year. This was also the first "new" CGC-mint bronze X-Men book in several years and the first public auction of such a book in a very long time. I was hoping to win the auction and my bid wasn't even close.

You don't have to agree with me, but don't insult me. I don't "template" anything, and when I do choose to debate, put effort into being as clear and cogent as possible. I explain my position clearly, and if someone doesn't take the time to read and just decides to randomly throw his 2c, even though the point he's making was already addressed by me a couple of posts back, then I'll point it out bluntly.

I welcome debate and disagreement, but I don't accept insults, especially when I haven't insulted you or anyone else in this thread.

The intent was NOT to insult you. Seriously, I didn't mean it that way.

But the way you kept framing the discussion around folks who have disposable income - and how we all didn't get it - it came across as if you were just trying to take the negative side in a debate, but using lack of experience as the meat of the matter behind the topic.

Isn't that insulting? That's why I thought for someone to keep stating the same argument, it had to be an act just to keep a debate going.

Again, not looking to make enemies when this is all about talking comics and enjoying.

. As Chris mentioned, it's almost as if most of the people here are so hard wired to look at comics as investments, that they can't possibly conceive that someone may be buying something with no thought to resale or profit.

A Harbinger #1 sold for $2500 in March of 2008. Most people that I talked to about it were flabbergasted at that price, and some people thought it was downright foolish. The winning bidder, a friend of mine, has absolutely no regrets, and, in fact, was willing to bid substantially higher. He has absolutely zero intention of selling it, and had zero thought of profit or potential resale.

He wanted it...he had a budget...and he paid it. Nothing more. Nothing less.

That copy, unless something changes, is GONE from the market until the buyer DIES...which, God forbid, won't be for another 30-40 years.

Harbinger 1 at $2500 might be considered a steal someday with a low print run and a movie on the horizon.

"Low print run" is entirely relative. ;)

:screwy: Man, you just breathe on that slab and it gets a downgrade... :eek:

I'd love to crack out a 10.0 and re-sub it.

I wonder what it would get next time.

9.9?

9.8?

maybe 9.6?

I can attest to this personal fact;...the ONLY CGC 10.0 I own looks noticeably BETTER than any CGC 9.8 I own! (shrug) Sorry but it's true.

(thumbs u

People, people, PLEASE! Why all the hand wringing? This is just the TIP of the iceberg, if the market follows what other collectibles markets have done.

When an X-men #104 in 9.9 (should it ever happen) sells for $50,000, is there going to be this much hand wringing? Insert ANY comic book in that example.

I don't remember this much hand wringing when a NICKEL sold for 1.4 MILLION dollars in 1996. I don't recall ANY hand wringing, as a matter of fact.

Like I said...the tip of the iceberg....enjoy the ride, marvel at what people will pay, and stop calling them stupid. Who knows...maybe YOU'LL be the lucky seller on one of these record breakers some day...are you going to turn down the money because you think it's "stupid"....?

I find it amazing that people are spending big bucks on books and that draws big attention from the outside into the hobby, it draws more money, it draws copies out of hiding. I see it as a plus. If prices crash I see it as a buying opportunity.

BRAVO!!

But then I remembered from reading some of his posts Andrew likes to start debates with some strongly stated argument, backs it with some templated insert statement like "You people don't get it," and I deleted my post.

You don't have to agree with me, but don't insult me. I don't "template" anything, and when I do choose to debate, put effort into being as clear and cogent as possible. I explain my position clearly, and if someone doesn't take the time to read and just decides to randomly throw his 2c, even though the point he's making was already addressed by me a couple of posts back, then I'll point it out bluntly.

I welcome debate and disagreement, but I don't accept insults, especially when I haven't insulted you or anyone else in this thread.

(thumbs u

But then I remembered from reading some of his posts Andrew likes to start debates with some strongly stated argument, backs it with some templated insert statement like "You people don't get it," and I deleted my post.

(thumbs u

Not sure why you are inserting yourself into this coversation. Just to pick a fight?

I can attest to this personal fact;...the ONLY CGC 10.0 I own looks noticeably BETTER than any CGC 9.8 I own! (shrug) Sorry but it's true.

If you're talking a wide selection of the EXACT SAME book, then you're under CGC's mind control, and I truly feel sorry for you.

I have personally seen CGC 9.8, 9.9 and 10.0 editions of books like Origin and Spider-man1, and by just looking through a slab, it's virtually impossible to tell the difference. With SCS and other slab-related damage during shipping, the whole 10.0 grade (which I find laughable anyway, since CGC opens and does a page count on every book - thus rendering it less-than perfect) is even murkier.

Nope, no mind controlled, sycophantic, followers here, just the facts. Do you wanna bet? hm MY 10.0 book IS virtually perfect, at least as perfect as a paper comic book can look, and CERTAINLY, and EASILY differentiated from ANY CGC 9.8...again, wanna bet? :popcorn: