• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Okay, Now I'm Officially Scared

58 posts in this topic

My parents were down on the weekend, and as I've probably mentioned, my father collects some coins and is hardcore into hockey cards. Purely as a hobby, and he has no worries on the money side of things.

But immediately after coming in the door, he starts asking me about comics (!!), something he never does, and tells me that old graded comics are an excellent investment, and how he's been seeing on TV, reading in the papers, etc. about what a "sure fire investment" they are. He knows I collect, but he wasn't certain on how many CGC books I had.

I tried to calm him down, but he got kinda testy, and didn't believe me when I told him CGC comics were currently in a market high right now. He wouldn't let it go, and kept saying that these were "guaranteed sure-fire investments" and how they "are sure to rise in value", along with quoting all kinds of "percentage increases" from 5, 10, 15, etc. years, and how CGC comics "far outpaced the stock market". He was just hammering me with facts and figures that he's read, and I got the feeling he was itching to buy in.

This is not a dumb person we're talking about here, but apparently there is a lot of funny book hype out there right now, and this is coming from someone who has never mentioned investing in comic books for a very long time... probably back to reading in the paper about comics in the early-90's. :insane:

I am now officially scared for this hobby of mine, and I understand more why recent auction sales have been hitting record highs. Thank God my father isn't very good at the Internet... :o

No, I've calmed him down, and anyway, he was only after high-grade key issues, as per the TV program's advice. He was ready to overpay for an Avengers 4 CGC 9.4, but not raw junk.

Anyone seen these programs in question? I think he mentioned Suze Orman and some local magazine and newspaper articles, but I was a bit hesitant to talk about it after I tossed cold water on his "sure-fire investment news".

Does he watch QVC and other shopping networks? On occasion they hawk a bunch of drek and Im sure they use the "sure fire investment" angle to sell. Not sure they would offer up an Avengers 4 however.

Does he watch QVC and other shopping networks? On occasion they hawk a bunch of drek and Im sure they use the "sure fire investment" angle to sell.

No, this was the real deal, with actual investment return figures for high-grade CGC comiics vs. the stock market, money markets, GICs, etc. This isn't the "Home Shopping Network" drek, but real life TV investment shows on CNN or CBC.

He should invest in a new pair of glasses.

So, there are no leads on the possible media culprits on this? Again, CBC or CNN are the likely areas, and I guess I'll get an exact source sometime this week, when they call to check in.

Fox News has Vinny Zurzolo on from time to time.

As for Marvelman, he strikes me as an earnest, nice guy, but didn't even know what CGC stood for. He has a very nice collection, but fancies himself far more knowledgeable than he actually is.

Maybe a good time to tell your parents how leaving your comics at the picknick table and refusing to drive back ended up costing you.... nah maybe not hm

So, there are no leads on the possible media culprits on this? Again, CBC or CNN are the likely areas, and I guess I'll get an exact source sometime this week, when they call to check in.

Last fall I saw a segment on CGC collectibles on CNN, they were speaking with the owner of Metropolis and discussing the value of slabbed books as investments. It was definately on CNN, because I had it on my DVR for a bit. no longer have the recording though.

As for Marvelman, he strikes me as an earnest, nice guy, but didn't even know what CGC stood for. He has a very nice collection, but fancies himself far more knowledgeable than he actually is.

Lots of loons putting comic vids on youtube these days :whistle:

No, I've calmed him down, and anyway, he was only after high-grade key issues, as per the TV program's advice. He was ready to overpay for an Avengers 4 CGC 9.4, but not raw junk.

Anyone seen these programs in question? I think he mentioned Suze Orman and some local magazine and newspaper articles, but I was a bit hesitant to talk about it after I tossed cold water on his "sure-fire investment news".

I've seen clips on youtube, and they make me laugh. I can't, for the life of me, take Suze Orman seriously.

There's this guy from Belgium on there who cracks slabs so that he can actually read his books. How nutty is that?

There's this guy from Belgium on there who cracks slabs so that he can actually read his books. How nutty is that?

People actually read comics? What kind of nutty, zany world are we living in?

she's not too off base, i've been buying CGC slabs, since i know that the return rate is more consistent, than of a return on my savings or stocks. :wishluck: but the stock market has been a three month surge the longest since 1982.