• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Robbins Appreciation Thread

62 posts in this topic

One thing that always bugged me about Robbins was that he'd always have characters spitting at each other, drool dripping out of their mouths, etc.

Kinda rude reading material to go with your butterscotch pudding. :insane:

80852.jpg.3a0d7daa4979d52c83d5242f179d2403.jpg

80853.jpg.1e38eb41d0f7555b4fe2408f65e80170.jpg

One thing that always bugged me about Robbins was that he'd always have characters spitting at each other, drool dripping out of their mouths, etc.

Kinda rude reading material to go with your butterscotch pudding. :insane:

Jeez....are they spitting or are they human water hoses?.....Anyone with that much saliva needs a cape around the FRONT of their neck.....screw wearing a bib.

Horrible.

my apprecaition of Frank Robbins is that he was better than Sal Buscema.

Not while they were both working, as the Captain America run we're talking about replaced Sal with Frank, to the reader's eternal regret.

Don't bring POS Moderns into this discussion.

Agreed. Sal back then was light years better than Robbins.

The only runs that I remember Frank Robbins art was Invaders and Human Fly and that quirky, anatomically impossible posses made the Invaders and Human Fly unique. It wasn't very visually appealing, however the gestures and expressions really came out at you. And as JC has pointed out, there was always the possibility of a spit wad.

I never considered one artist as better than, or worse, than another....it is all a matter of how individuals express themselves artistically....all have their own approach.

IMHO,....art is not supposed to be a competition....

As a 10-12 year old reading the Invaders and Captain America in the 1970's, I knew his art was different than anyone else's,( just like Kirby's work was instantly recognizable as Kirby)........and that is why his (Robbins) work appealed to me...

Count me in the Robbins fan club !

(thumbs u

Bump

I never considered one artist as better than, or worse, than another....it is all a matter of how individuals express themselves artistically....all have their own approach.

As a 10-12 year old reading the Invaders and Captain America in the 1970's, I knew his art was different than anyone else's,( just like Kirby's work was instantly recognizable as Kirby)........and that is why his (Robbins) work appealed to me...

(thumbs u

Bump

Love Robbins Bats stories.

Did some great DC horror

Absolutely love his Invaders work. I don't care what anyone says--it's a highlight of the BA for me. It just inspires so much hate from people that wanted every Marvel book to look the same. And that was one appeal, it was different. Not only different, but it just seemed to capture the feel of the 1940's, and of GA books for me. Great stuff.

(thumbs u

Bump

Love Robbins Bats stories.

Did some great DC horror

Absolutely love his Invaders work. I don't care what anyone says--it's a highlight of the BA for me. It just inspires so much hate from people that wanted every Marvel book to look the same. And that was one appeal, it was different. Not only different, but it just seemed to capture the feel of the 1940's, and of GA books for me. Great stuff.

(thumbs u

I could not agree more regarding his work on the Invaders !!

I only discovered his Batman work ( I was a Marvel kid...) at a much later date, and, again, immediatley recognized it as Robbins, and liked it for what it was....However, I never read any of his horror work...would greatly appreciate any recommendations, if you don't mind taking a moment or two for a fellow aficionado.... :)

Bump