• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What An "Educated Buyer" must know and understand...

198 posts in this topic

Scattered through the bazillion threads on 'The Game' and it's impact you see sentiments that "buyer's should be educated" before they spend. Here's a recent example quote:

I really don't think of it as buyer beware, but buyer be educated.

It seems reasonable for shoppers to do. But what makes an "educated" shopper?

So starting from the point of now, today, where encapsulation has evolved into what it is, all the fee-based services are what they are, and auction and selling venues are plentiful...

Exactly what does the noob, returning collector, excited fan, or casual collector HAVE to know and understand before reaching for their wallet? (And where do they get all facts and details?)

Maybe slowly this thread will build a thoughtful and serious list someone can use. :wishluck:

So knowing what you know, put yourself in the position of someone new wandering into the marketplace excited to begin a collection. What must they know and be aware of to stay safe while shopping?

Scattered through the bazillion threads on 'The Game' and it's impact you see sentiments that "buyer's should be educated" before they spend. Here's a recent example quote:

So starting from the point of now, today, where encapsulation has evolved into what it is, all the fee-based services are what they are, and auction and selling venues are plentiful...

Exactly what does the noob, returning collector, excited fan, or casual collector HAVE to know and understand before reaching for their wallet? (And where do they get all facts and details?)

Maybe slowly this thread will build a thoughtful and serious list someone can use. :wishluck:

So knowing what you know, put yourself in the position of someone new wandering into the marketplace excited to begin a collection. What must they know and be aware of to stay safe while shopping?

1)AVOID doing business with Hammer,Danny Dupak,Perry Stroud...AKA EBAYER "ROBOJOE33"...'NUFF SAID!

2) learn to grade books in the 8.5-9.8 range. (something I need to learn how to do well)

3) learn what pressing is. Good, bad, indifferent, understanding what it is, and what it means to high end books.

Get GPA... :makepoint:

Seriously...start building your own data base for the marketprice value of the books you're after...get OSPG as well, still a great reference tool and fun to cruise...spend some time on Comiclink and make note of sales prices...track sales in eBay as well...

Prices for books vary wildly, especially for low to mid-grade...so it behooves the buyer to know what they should pay... (shrug)

2) learn to grade books in the 8.5-9.8 range. (something I need to learn how to do well)

I'd like to learn more about this as well. I am definitely getting BETTER, but my comprehension of the differences in 9.6 and up is definitely lacking. Is there a good thread around here that helps point out some of the subtleties?

That although the CGC grade is king, many people have different criteria by which they grade and value a book. A CGC 9.9 with a funky miswrap may ultimately be less 'valued' than a nice 9.6, depending on the buyer.

Pay attention to page quality.

Grading mistakes happen.

Books can become damaged in the slab.

Some defects (non colour breaking creases and bends) can be pressed out, which can dramatically (or not) increase the grade. Do you care? Just know that many of those ultra high grade slabs have received this treatment.

Lone top of census copies may not remain 'lone', especially after impressive sales.

/end of obvious statements

What good will this thread do? I guess we are assuming that the rest of the Internet is broken?

An educated consumer in ANY industry, service, hobby, food group, science, sexual orientation...you name it... needs to understand that nothing is constant and so what held true in 1990 may not hold true today.

(thumbs u

One of the best ways to learn how NOT to get burned is to actually get burned a few times. Research is great, but "learn by doing" is an important component of the process, too...

Are you assuming that people/buyers who drop a lot of coin are somewhat clueless?

From what I have seen growing up, people will lots of money have it for a reason, and being clueless or uneducated in purchases is not one of them.

Overstreet Price Guide.

Yes, it's just a "guide," yes it's out of date the minute it's published, but there is so much information packed into that book you can't go wrong.

For example, look at the ads. There's all the dealers, auction houses, CGC, plus the pressers...this is a pretty good way to get a handle on how the "big boys" play "the game."

And then there are the market reports. Yes, some are simply thinly-disguised, self-serving advertisements, BUT, there's also essays in there from the NOD, as well as other very knowledeable collectors. This gives you multiple viewpoints from which you can reach your own conclusions about the state of the hobby and how you want to pursue your collecting.

And you can pick it up in just about any bookstore in America.

I don't know Steve Borock, but I thought it was really important that in his market report in latest OSPG, he said--

"I want to make something very clear about putting your hard-earned money into comic books. Even though I believe in the marker, there's no such thing as a free lunch! If you are going to invest in comic books, you had better love them. If the economy ever gets really bad, just like if you owned stocks, you will not be able to sell them at a high price quickly and you certainly cannot use them to house of feed yourself or your family. The best advice I can give anyone, and have been doing so since I can rememer, is BUY WHAT YOU LOVE."

Yes, other dealers have said the same thing, I'm sure, but that eternal pearl of wisdom may get lost in all the rah-rah about big-ticket sales and HG CGC mania.

I'll get off the soap box now.

1. PRESSING IS A FORM OF RESTORATION

I have to say I am disappointed in you Chris. It is obvious your stance is nothing but anti-pressing. Here is a serious thread where people are trying, and I stress trying to educate those who may be new or in the dark to certain practices in the hobby.

Have a few less beers and try and allow this thread to stay the course.

2. "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." - Winston Churchill.

lol

2. "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." - Winston Churchill.

2. "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" - Mary Poppins