• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you SELL you collection if a billionaire wanted to buy it?

75 posts in this topic

Being jobless at this time...yes, unfortunately I would sell

Surprisingly, the only ones I would really, really want to keep are the ones I had as a kid--which don't amount to more than a dollar or two worth of comics. The rest I'd sell, and just turn right back around and buy the collection again with more money in hand than before (as I've usually done a decent job of buying under guide/gpa). After all, there was no stipulation that we couldn't re-buy the collection later ;)

Heres a question for you, triggered by the "If you were a billionaire" thread.....

Would you SELL your collection if someone wanted to buy it? Think of the time spent putting it all together.....think of the joy everytime you scored a new book or filled a hole......think of the beauty of seqential order that you have built up over a long period of time.

Question: Would you sell your collection straight up for guide?

2x guide?

More?

No way?

As for me......I wouldn't.....at least not now. I really like my collection and its not about the $$$.....its about the fun, and I'm just not sure how much thats worth.

I would easly sell half my collection for lest than guide, but I'm already trying to sell them.

As for my main collection, if I could get twice what I paid for them...... I'd have to see the check first and then it'd be likely, but sitting behind a keyboard, no

Ok....I understand selling a book you bought for $20 for $100........

but if the billionaire is buying your book for $100......and then you have to go replace it.......which means first of all , finding it.......and its gonna cost you $100 ......why bother......you are not making a profit. You sold yours for $100.....and then went and bought a new one for $100

"Show me the money!"

It's all out the door at Guide except the Golden Age Supes and Actions. Now that I know about the Boards, I could have the bulk of my SA Marvels back in hand for less than guide (in some instances MUCH less) in a year or so, and be confident of a fair grading, and I'd have the thrill of rebuilding my collection.

Oh. And the Cerebus 1 is NOT FOR SALE

Ok....I understand selling a book you bought for $20 for $100........

but if the billionaire is buying your book for $100......and then you have to go replace it.......which means first of all , finding it.......and its gonna cost you $100 ......why bother......you are not making a profit. You sold yours for $100.....and then went and bought a new one for $100

I agree, but I think I'd also have a hard time turning down a check for they amount of double what I paid for comics. Now granted I have mostly off the rack moderns, and therefore can buy at least half my collect for less than i originally paid for it. And seeing a check for a couple thousand (roughly) that I could go cash right then, would be very tempting.

but if I could pick and choose what to sell and he/she was willing to pay cost or guide or even market value, I'd have a smaller collection, but would still keep the books I like.

The only reason to use "billionaire" in your premise is to denote making a substantial profit on your books from someone who has money to burn; otherwise, you're just talking about selling books you bought at market value, for market value. Most who answer this thread are going to assume, logically, that that's what you meant. Otherwise, you're just asking people if they want to sell their collections right now, and I would think that for most of the people spending time reading this right now, the answer would be no.

Easy answer for me. I would sell my collection for straight guide/GPA in a second. Yes, there are books I would miss but I also own a lot of books that guide for far more than I can realistically sell them for.

Mike, the next question to ask: once you sell your collection what would you buy? If comics, would you concentrate your $$ on keys or go after cheaper books and runs?

"Show me the money!"

It's all out the door at Guide except the Golden Age Supes and Actions. Now that I know about the Boards, I could have the bulk of my SA Marvels back in hand for less than guide (in some instances MUCH less) in a year or so, and be confident of a fair grading, and I'd have the thrill of rebuilding my collection.

C'mon guys. Don't whimp out. It's an all or nothing proposition. The billionaire wants it all. Bill Gates wants the Supes, the Cerebus, the Howard the Duck and even the pile of Spawn #1- at guide natch.

Easy answer for me. I would sell my collection for straight guide/GPA in a second. Yes, there are books I would miss but I also own a lot of books that guide for far more than I can realistically sell them for.

Mike, the next question to ask: once you sell your collection what would you buy? If comics, would you concentrate your $$ on keys or go after cheaper books and runs?

Exactly !! I am no spring chicken. I've had runs of many titles over the years....and let them all go. I've had Spidey #1 and AF #15 and let them go. I suppose.....when I think of this situation.....the idea of a modern collection does not regester.....cuz they are so easy to replace. I'm talking about gold and silver. Books that are not in every comic shop from Springfield to Miami Beach. You just don't go replace a Police Comics # 1 with the snap of a finger. Or a TOS #39.....or alot of pre '70's books.

I guess.....I'm thinking, unless you are ready to quit.....to give it up....why sell and then try to replace? That must mean the $$$ is worth more than anything else. I'm at the point now Dave......where I'm not selling till I'm old and ready to go see Jesus

What a stupid question. Of course I would, and so would everybody else.

You are a dork donut :grin: :grin: :grin:

"Show me the money!"

C'mon guys. Don't whimp out. It's an all or nothing proposition. The billionaire wants it all. Bill Gates wants the Supes, the Cerebus, the Howard the Duck and even the pile of Spawn #1- at guide natch.

All or nothing, eh?

That makes it a bit tougher...it worked HARD for that Superman 2-150 run, and my Cerebus 1 was just plain damfool luck.

Okay, all out the door at Guide or GPA, if I did it once I can do it again!

Especially with billionare bank in my pocket, lol