• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My vote for worst comic EVER!...

23 posts in this topic

I just read Marvel Team-Up #28... Spidey & Hercules team up for the 1st time! How can you possibly go wrong!?! Well, in every possible way! 2 robots (yes only 2) use an unknown machine to break Manhattan (yes, THAT Manhattan) off it's ''base'' and pull it away by submarine to hold for ransom (of 2 BILLION DOLLARS!). The main villain is never revealed (maybe in a later issue, but I aint going any further), but the kicker is the cavalier way Spidey addresses the fact that all the NYC bridges and tunnels are destroyed and countless lives were lost, he essentially says: Dude, just call Reed Richards and he'll fix everything in the morning. WTF?!

It's funny how the quality of those MTU's varied from issue to issue.

I used to buy MTU every single month from about 19-up. 19-20 were pretty good, 23 with Torch and Iceman was fun, and MTU 26 is one of my favorite BA books - great value for the kid dollar in that one. MTU 31 is another good one,

But around the same time we get some really bad issues, like the aforementioned MTU 28, and 29, which is pretty bad as well. The Monster-Maker run in the 30's was kind lame, but then we get into a pretty cool Witches of Salem/Time Travel story in the 40's that was fun.

But man, some of the bad MTU's rank right up there with a worst books of all-time.

Yes, that Hercules story was incredibly bad. I've seen it trashed before. so you are not the only one who thinks that.

It is funny that we like to believe a man can fly in the comic world, but will throw the BS flag on someone dragging an island with a chain wrapped around him.

Suspension of Disbelief I guess.

Yes, those MTUs were really up and down. Lows included the beast in 38, nighthawk in 33, and the monsters.

I enjoyed the daredevil story in 25 and the Sons of Tigers in 40.

Ya know, pulling the island with a chain is the LEAST worst thing about this story. I just found it so out of character for Spider-Man, Mister I care so much about everybody, to counter Mayor Koch (I think it was him) with such an idiotic & sarcastic response. Shocking. I guess Spidey's sense of great responsibility only matters when family is involved...

Ya know, pulling the island with a chain is the LEAST worst thing about this story. I just found it so out of character for Spider-Man, Mister I care so much about everybody, to counter Mayor Koch (I think it was him) with such an idiotic & sarcastic response. Shocking. I guess Spidey's sense of great responsibility only matters when family is involved...

Many team up stories suffer from characters acting out-of-character, I guess because they were being written by writers who weren't tuned into the history of said character. The writer of this one probably knew that Spider-man's dialogue should be filled with jokes, but didn't hit the right tone.

Who wrote it?

but then we get into a pretty cool Witches of Salem/Time Travel story in the 40's that was fun.

One of my favorite story arcs. :cloud9:

My favorite title as a kid. Far and away.

And the time-travel arc is THE BEST. Esp. the Killraven issue. Great stuff.

Spider-Man isn't real - somebody wrote those words and the events in the comic never happened. No real people died in the making of that book.

Olympian God's are real and will come after you and have sex in your ear if you don't worship them :insane:

My favorite marvel title as well. (As if you could not tell)

MTU certainly had a lot of clunkers but some gems still to this day.

#66 which was my first comic every purchased as a kid from the spinner racks still holds a high place with me. Arcade is one of the craziest ideas for a villain that I have ever come across, but he is fun. No one could possibly have the time, money and space to build all of those giant Murderworlds, but it entertains me and I love it.

Other villains take forever to capture Spiderman, and Arcade does it easily with only a garbage truck. Genius.

Of course like all of Batman's villains he makes the biggest mistake of not killing him then and there.

For him it is all about the entertainment value and the sport.

Another thing that was great about Marvel Team-Up was that it did not require that you had read previous issues. Most were one and two issue stand alone stories.

Spider-Man isn't real - somebody wrote those words and the events in the comic never happened. No real people died in the making of that book.

Olympian God's are real and will come after you and have sex in your ear if you don't worship them :insane:

What if I WANT sex in my ear....?

Then Hercules is your man (thumbs u

MTU 28 was SOOOOO bad and SOOOOO silly that eventually even Marvel disavowed that story, and retconned it into ol' Hercules telling a tall tale to some gullible listeners. Now if I could just remember where I read THAT...

Then Hercules is your man (thumbs u

Man....?

Does it have to be a man...?

;)

I just read Marvel Team-Up #28... Spidey & Hercules team up for the 1st time! How can you possibly go wrong!?! Well, in every possible way! 2 robots (yes only 2) use an unknown machine to break Manhattan (yes, THAT Manhattan) off it's ''base'' and pull it away by submarine to hold for ransom (of 2 BILLION DOLLARS!). The main villain is never revealed (maybe in a later issue, but I aint going any further), but the kicker is the cavalier way Spidey addresses the fact that all the NYC bridges and tunnels are destroyed and countless lives were lost, he essentially says: Dude, just call Reed Richards and he'll fix everything in the morning. WTF?!

Oh, man - you just brought back memories of reading that story when it first came out - shortly afterwards I quit buying and collecting comics for a number of years - coincidence? I don't think so, as part of my disenchantment with Marvel circa 1974-75 was that the Bronze Age was looking far inferior to the Silver Age by then when it came to story and art.

:roflmao:

On topic, I always looked at MTU as an entry level comic book. It was a great way to spend some coin, not worry about continuity and see if you liked a character, (different one every month!). And in the vein of being entry level, there was no intellectual heavy lifting required.

So does anyone know who was behind the city stealing? When they cracked open the robot there was an old dude in there saying ''THEY made me do it''... Were the THEY ever revealed?

Probably some disgruntled Red Sox fans...

Yeah, "They" were all through those early MTU's but were forgotten as new writers came on board. They were later revealed/retconned in some Hulk issue, as Tyrannus, Keeper of the Flame and Prince Rey.

I always thought "They" were pretty cool, and was disappointed to see that they disappeared from MTU.

81156.jpg.767c00f6e872a38ad91f8d0e0f9be4d3.jpg

yes, I remember "They" as well, and reading a couple of issues from the Hulk series. They just never amounted to anything worthwhile.

MTU was always a fun read. I thought the issues with John Byrne art were very neat. Loved the Red Sonja issue. Man-thing has always been a favorite (please no jokes, hahahaha). Towards the end the art got bad (at least IMHO) and the stories not as appealling.

seeing the Marvel house ads for MTU 44 in my childhood impacted me to such a degree - even though i had never had a chance to read the story - that it was one of the first CGC books I bought, just so i could have a nice HG copy