• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on shipping very valuable books to CGC

25 posts in this topic

I know that many of you own super valuable books (say over 10k+) and have at one time or another submitted them to CGC for grading or for a reholder. I'm in the position to have to do the same (for reholding), but I am so damn nervous about shipping the book!

I asked CGC if they'd make an exception and replace the slab on the spot at SDCC, but they won't. That totally bummed me out. I would have paid extra just for that.

Anyway, so any suggestions on the best way to ship a very expense book (valued over 10K+)? Should I go with FedEx, UPS, or USPS? what are my insurance options?

Thanks!

Pete

So USPS, right? But with registered mail, isn't there a limit on how much you can insure? I thought it was like $5K.

Not true. registered allows up to $25,000.00 in insurance and the cost is considerably cheaper.

Make sure you tape it up correctly.

They typically send it back with registered mail unless you want it done another way.

Registered mail CAN take a while and you can't track it while in transit, but it's under lock and key the whole time and is likely the safest way to send a book. Just make sure you're not in a hurry. It can take anywhere from 2-21 days to arrive.

USPS registered mail is pretty much your only choice. If they screw up or it gets stolen, you will get paid and people will lose their jobs. Don't skimp on the inusrance amount and be prepared to prove the item is "worth" as much as you think. The insurance is not for "replacement cost" - it is for the value of the item. Normally the best proof is what somone has paid for the item. Without that, you are going to need an expert appraisal.

If you are thinking about UPS be sure to talk to 'Tec27kid first....

I asked CGC if they'd make an exception and replace the slab on the spot at SDCC, but they won't. That totally bummed me out. I would have paid extra just for that.

I'm I could be wrong, but I didn't think the CGC would be doing on-site grading at SDCC. If they weren't, your extra payment would have to cover the costs associated with bringing the slabbing equipment from Florida to California and back. Would have been pretty pricey.

Drop them off in person at a convention they are attending.

Hmm, not a bad idea. What is CGC's method of shipping back the book to customer? Is it fully insured?

I'm in the same position, an expensive book that needs to get to CGC. I'm going to bring it to San Diego and give it to them there. They send it back registered mail.

Thanks everyone for your input. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to at least drop it off to CGC at SDCC. Yet I still do feel uncomfortable about receiving via mail. I realize they deal with and ship out super high end books all the time. i guess I can ask them how they insure the books and if they are fully covered.

This is my advice to you. If we are talking about a substantial amount of money, as you said, then I would buy a ticket, get on board a plane, and take the books with you as carry on luggage (I use a briefcase that I then pack is if it will be shipped.) You can fly out of Burbank straight to Sarasota, and it's worth it to me for the peace of mind. On off-times, you can get there and back for as little as $200.

Dropping off books with CGC is one way to do it, but they turn around and ship the books as well, just like you would do, and just based on human nature, they're not going to treat your books as tenderly as you would.

Obviously this is for a small amount of books and books that are worth a substantial amount as is ($10,000 or more.) But this way, the books never leave your possession during transit.

If I was dealing with a book like a super high grade Silver Marvel Key or somesuch, I'd simply plan a vacation to Florida around that time. I'm sure they will reholder it for you in a day or two if you call ahead and make arrangements.

If I'm not mistaken (and someone correct me if I am) this is precisely how Jon Verzyl slabbed the Church All American #16.

I think shipping high value books through the Post Office is insane....absolutely insane.

Having shipped hundreds of thousands of books over the last 20 years....the only way......for many, many reasons that I don't want to get into, tons of pros and cons no matter who you use.... we ship high value items only through UPS.....NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!! Even if it means losing the sale.

UPS is only marginally more expensive than the post office....cost is not a factor you should consider since it is immaterial to the transaction.

Unlike all the other services, bar none, UPS is the only company who keeps packages valued at $5000 and above (50K is the limit) under lock and key, and requires that each handler sign personally for the package from point to point. Packages of this value and higher get special handling, treatment and are not thrown around. The risk of damage is high with the other carriers (FED EX won't insure the packages in many cases.)

The risk of damage and loss using UPS for high value items is SIGNIFICANTLY (as in not even close) less then all of the rest of them.

Given my experiences with the post office.....if I have something of sufficiently high value and the only choice I had was the Post Office....I would buy a plane ticket and deliver it in person myself.

Unlike all the other services, bar none, UPS is the only company who keeps packages valued at $5000 and above (50K is the limit) under lock and key, and requires that each handler sign personally for the package from point to point.

hm Sounds just like Registered Mail.

Unlike all the other services, bar none, UPS is the only company who keeps packages valued at $5000 and above (50K is the limit) under lock and key, and requires that each handler sign personally for the package from point to point.

hm Sounds just like Registered Mail.

Except the post office treats all registered mail that way, regardless of how much is it valued at.