• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overlooked Issues You Are Fond of

81 posts in this topic

Invaders Annual #1... Schomburg cover, lots of heroes beating up nazis, awesome. I'm not a MArvel guy, but that book has a massive place in my heart.

Shep

PS... I'd scan my copy, but I'm on the road right now.

While not really overlooked, I've always thought that ASM 123 should be considered more of a key, as it's the full conclusion to the events of 121 and 122. Plus, you have to love the Luke Cage crossover.

28bgvtj.jpg

Hulk

Man-Thing

Glob

Wrightson Cover

Any other questions?

First book I ever purchased off the spinner rack. Best cover of the bronze era. Story was really good as well.

Hey, we're trying for overLOOKED comics, not overRATED. doh!

So it's got a Wrightson cover - big whoop, the story isn't anything to write home about, and even the cover is failrly pedestrian compared to other classic BA books.

But on the overall BA Importance Scale, that book doesn't even rate.

So it's got a Wrightson cover - big whoop, the story isn't anything to write home about, and even the cover is failrly pedestrian compared to other classic BA books.

The thread title is, "Overlooked Issues You Are Fond of," not "Overlooked Issues for JC to Pizz and Moan about." zzz

My contributions:

ff186micro.jpg

avengers178mass.jpg

i dunno joe, putting aside a few obvious issues, a lot of hulks of that era featured fairly forgettable adversaries, this one less so, and what not and that cover is probably one of the best hulk covers during a multi-year stretch (which is perhaps not saying much)... i wasn't even aware of that book and I probably have a long box of BA hulks and have skimmed through perhaps hundreds of thousands of comics, so maybe it's overlooked (aside from the fact that I apparently collect incredibly randomly). not saying i've never seen it, but i would have bought it had i seen it in a dollar box in the NYC area!

not to mention, not that wrightson is really a "marvel artist", but when was his first marvel work?...ok, he did a couple of horror covers earlier than that, but is this the first and only time he did a marvel superhero? (ok, no, 10 or so years later he did the cover for Gargoyle #1, which I assume concerns Gargoyle from the Defenders)

in that respect it is a rare foray into marvel superheroes for mr. wrightson

I know what you're getting at, but for me, a comic is far, far, far more than just its cover. I realize in the CGC age, no one cares what's actually inside, but I still do.

P.S. I would never have even said anything, but the overt (worship)(worship) given to this vastly-overrated issue actually makes it the opposite of the thread's intent.

i dunno joe, putting aside a few obvious issues, a lot of hulks of that era featured fairly forgettable adversaries, this one less so, and what not and that cover is probably one of the best hulk covers during a multi-year stretch (which is perhaps not saying much)... i wasn't even aware of that book and I probably have a long box of BA hulks and have skimmed through perhaps hundreds of thousands of comics, so maybe it's overlooked (aside from the fact that I apparently collect incredibly randomly). not saying i've never seen it, but i would have bought it had i seen it in a dollar box in the NYC area!

not to mention, not that wrightson is really a "marvel artist", but when was his first marvel work?...ok, he did a couple of horror covers earlier than that, but is this the first and only time he did a marvel superhero? (ok, no, 10 or so years later he did the cover for Gargoyle #1, which I assume concerns Gargoyle from the Defenders)

in that respect it is a rare foray into marvel superheroes for mr. wrightson

I am fairly certain it was the man-Things first appearance in a main stream title.

Joe Collector would like to nominate Warlord #1. Its the first issue of the second longest running Bronze book right? It must be up there on the (JC) Bronze importance scale. :roflmao:

Another pre-76 issue, and from Marvel's best-selling, most mainstream title:

File1242.jpg

Ugh, that GS #5 was not very good, IMHO. Anyone else think the art looked sub-standard to Andru's and Esposito's normal dependable style.

I did like the continuity weave with the Gwen Stacy appearance, but overall an uninspired story.

I know what you're getting at, but for me, a comic is far, far, far more than just its cover. I realize in the CGC age, no one cares what's actually inside, but I still do.

P.S. I would never have even said anything, but the overt (worship)(worship) given to this vastly-overrated issue actually makes it the opposite of the thread's intent.

So then why is it that when several posters gave your hulk annual (myself included) the overt (worship)(worship) , you forgot to berate them on their misunderstanding of the thread? :blahblah: And who are you to say it if it is overlooked, overrated, or underlooked? By what criterion, the JC code of authority? If that is the case, you better report the hulk annual 7 violation to the JC authorities right away, eh?