• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #4 CGC 9.0 Sold on Ebay.

87 posts in this topic

It really is the most important Avengers book period.

If Cap wasn't an Avenger, would the Avengers lasted forever if the line up was Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Wasp and Giant Man? No they'd probably the Champions or the New Defenders except less cooler :)

I think the book still has some legs and is a genuine Marvel Top 10 Super Key.

Jim

It's a bonafide key in the most undervalued Marvel series of the SA ( although that anomaly is in the process of correcting itself). It isn't that common in 8.5 and above and the book frequently shows up on top cover lists and is also a favorite story of many SA collectors. That is a recipe for steady growth.Like Roy said...the white copies are very scarce....wouldn't surprise me to see those settle in at 5 K for 9.0, 15 K for 9.2, and 35 K for 9.4 when the smoke clears. It really is a cool book....hey, we're talking Captain America (shrug) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Says it all IMO. :sumo:

If this book is a genuine Marvel Top 10 Super Key, why then is it now being recognized as such? Wasn't it just as important last year and the year before that? Is it just a coincidence that a Avengers movie is being made? And what happens if Hollywood scratches the movie, or the movie bombs like The Hulk?

When a book goes for multiples of GPA (nevermind guide) virtually overnight, there's something going on. People don't just wake up and go "you know Avengers #4 is underrated, I'm going to spend 2.5x GPA for it and know it's a good investment".

I guarantee everyone here praising this issue and it's relevance in the Marvel Universe and stating the price increases are justified, have some stake in the matter. I've seen this same increase in popularity over X-Men, Spiderman, Hellboy, Ironman, Watchmen, and even (briefly) Hulk books. The hype begins now for Avengers, after the movie we'll see whether or not the book sustains it's price and I guarantee it'll be dependant on whether or not the movie succeeds or tanks.

Name 10 Marvel SA books that are clearly ahead of Avengers 4 in importance. I think it's always been a major key. The fact that it has been relatively easily available compared to other major Marvel keys is what kept the price down. I'm not arguing that the movie is having no effect on the price because it clearly is. I would argue however that this book is a top 10 Marvel key.

I wasn't arguing that it wasn't a Marvel key, that wasn't the gist of my post.

Well you are relating its price to its relevance in the Marvel universe. Which is what I'm questioning. There has been no correlation between its importance as a major key and price. It is a top 10 Marvel key but has not been priced as one because of its relative abundance compared to other major keys. If the book was as tough to find as say Hulk 1 or AF 15, I think its price would have been much higher long before now.

I'm with you. This book is way overpriced right now. Its a 1964 book. Every six months out from FF1 things get more and more common. A marvel that late, in NM for $25, $30K? Getthefugouttahere. Where does that price a 9.6 or 9.8? In Crazyland.

Bad movies didnt make Hulk #1 any more affordable...

What's more expensive (in the same grade)

AF 15

or a

Hulk 1

?

If a Hulk #1 in 9.6 magically appeared for sale it wouldn't surprise me to see it reach astronomical levels, it's much rarer than AF15. It's value is higher among elite collectors moreso than the casual crowd. I was just stating that the movie didnt affect the value negatively. The glut of comic movies makes ''movie hype'' essentially obsolete.

Does anyone really believe Avengers will be bad? :tonofbricks:

Has there been a strange tales 114 bump with all this avengers 4 craziness?

that book always sold for crazy $$$ in HG to begin with and i think that book is still underrated, acrobat or not. :gossip: i am happy with my AV 4 CGC 4.5 copy though.

Bad movies didnt make Hulk #1 any more affordable...

What's more expensive (in the same grade)

AF 15

or a

Hulk 1

?

If a Hulk #1 in 9.6 magically appeared for sale it wouldn't surprise me to see it reach astronomical levels, it's much rarer than AF15. It's value is higher among elite collectors moreso than the casual crowd. I was just stating that the movie didnt affect the value negatively. The glut of comic movies makes ''movie hype'' essentially obsolete.

Does anyone really believe Avengers will be bad? :tonofbricks:

+1 on the Hulk #1 Much harder to find than AF15 in ANY grade. Almost a low print run for Hulk #1

As far as the movie, There are 2 movies coming out with Cap in them. His own and THEN Avengers. Lot's of hype on this book. I think Thor will start to get red hot fairly soon as well....IMHO

Does movie hype even matter anymore?? Litterally EVERYTHING is being made into a movie, some before the comic is even finished (ahem, Kick-A$$). This is a case of a key book reaching it's rightful level. And yes I do own a copy (thanks McMiles) and I dont care if it goes up or down in value.

Thank you to McMiles for my copy as well (thumbs u

that book always sold for crazy $$$ in HG to begin with and i think that book is still underrated,

Oh man I totally agree, that's why I asked. I think that book is a classic too and in many ways the "real" first appearance. I don't think it should be worth as much as avengers 4 but I think it should be worth more than what it is now

that book always sold for crazy $$$ in HG to begin with and i think that book is still underrated,

Oh man I totally agree, that's why I asked. I think that book is a classic too and in many ways the "real" first appearance. I don't think it should be worth as much as avengers 4 but I think it should be worth more than what it is now

ST #114 should be worth 10 times what Avengers #4 is. Why? Because I have that book + no AV #4!! :sumo:

ST114.jpg

ST #114 should be worth 10 times what Avengers #4 is. Why? Because I have that book + no AV #4!! :sumo:

ST114.jpg

OMG!!! :o:cloud9::applause:(worship) Awesome book. That is the last SA Cap appearance I need in HG. I have a CGC 7.5 and need to upgrade...I want your book :luhv:

ST114.jpg

I'm sure this has been discussed before. But can someone clue me in as to how it is the first real appearance? Isn't that the chameleon? (shrug)

Beautiful copy btw.

ST114.jpg

I'm sure this has been discussed before. But can someone clue me in as to how it is the first real appearance? Isn't that the chameleon? (shrug)

Beautiful copy btw.

I think how the story goes this was a test book to see if people were still interested in Captain America. This does pre-date Avengers #4, but like the you said this was disguise by the Acrobat.

And pre-dates by a full five months too. As for the whole "is it Cap" thing... its only not cap in the most technical way... i.e. revealed to be the acrobat in the last couple pages. But you look at that cover and tell me what character that is.

CGC agrees with me (shrug) They say its the first appearance since 1954... ;)