• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I love searching ebay for 'box of comics'

39 posts in this topic

Also a complete run of Y the Last Man from #2 - #60 in 9.2 to 9.6 ! Awesome, I've been wanting to read that series! Maybe I'll bind them too!

:o

Wanna swap for all 10 TPB's? That way you'll even get to read #1, and save on the cost of binding! ;)

In all seriousness, Y was what got me back into comics after a 10 year hiatus. A buddy of mine bought me the first 5 TPB's as a gift, and after that I was back in the game. I do intend to pick up the individual issues some day.

Read it, it's great stuff!

I have the first two TPBs. Been meaning to pick up the rest one day. Since I've now got the comics - and they aren't quite 9.8s - I reckon I'll do the binding thing. Bound volumes are nicer than TPBs!

Blasphemy!!

Also a complete run of Y the Last Man from #2 - #60 in 9.2 to 9.6 ! Awesome, I've been wanting to read that series! Maybe I'll bind them too!

Wanna swap for all 10 TPB's? That way you'll even get to read #1, and save on the cost of binding! ;)

In all seriousness, Y was what got me back into comics after a 10 year hiatus. A buddy of mine bought me the first 5 TPB's as a gift, and after that I was back in the game. I do intend to pick up the individual issues some day.

I have the first two TPBs. Been meaning to pick up the rest one day. Since I've now got the comics - and they aren't quite 9.8s - I reckon I'll do the binding thing. Bound volumes are nicer than TPBs!

Blasphemy!!

hbbound123.jpg

:cloud9:

Odd, you'd think they would have done 1-21, 22-42 and 43-63 to keep them closer the the same size volume unless it has to do with story arc?

I thought the same thing when he first posted the pics, but that was customized just for him by a local book binder.

Really cool thing to do with your extras.

Odd, you'd think they would have done 1-21, 22-42 and 43-63 to keep them closer the the same size volume unless it has to do with story arc?

1-40 is Jamie Delano (apart from 25-27)

41-83 is Garth Ennis, so Vol IV will contain 64-83

The plan avoids splitting story arcs too.

:)

What shape was the Hellblazer 27 in? Isn't that the Neil Gaiman issue?

Typical VF/NM stored carefully enough but without boards. I've got several like that! That's one I'd like in a 9.8 slab, but the 'Nightbreed' ad insert causes a problem with most copies, similar to the issues with X-Men 294/5/6. There is one on the census. I've been thinking a press might do the job :o

I've been tempted to send one in that's a dead 9.8...but has insertitis.

If a book came with an insert, the insert and whatever impression it leaves should not count against the grade.

After all....CGC doesn't count "paper waviness" for glue bound annuals against them anymore.

But that's just my opinion. ;)

What shape was the Hellblazer 27 in? Isn't that the Neil Gaiman issue?

Typical VF/NM stored carefully enough but without boards. I've got several like that! That's one I'd like in a 9.8 slab, but the 'Nightbreed' ad insert causes a problem with most copies, similar to the issues with X-Men 294/5/6. There is one on the census. I've been thinking a press might do the job :o

I've been tempted to send one in that's a dead 9.8...but has insertitis.

If a book came with an insert, the insert and whatever impression it leaves should not count against the grade.

After all....CGC doesn't count "paper waviness" for glue bound annuals against them anymore.

But that's just my opinion. ;)

Same opinion of the Xstuff from the early 90's with the cards/polybag impressions.

What is it with taking perfectly good comic books and binding them?

It's senseless destruction.

-slym

I came around to the idea. Having rediscovered comics in recent years I dug out my old longboxes and had a browse through my teenage-acquired Copper collection. I was a careful collector - all bagged and boarded - but I realised that 99% of these 20 year old books I'd so carefully stored were all but worthless. The good stuff in raw NM might fetch a dollar a book. Whoop-de-doo.

I would still love to read them, but the process is too offputting. Each book has to be extracted from its box, carefully debagged (avoiding tape pulls) and handled with freshly washed and dried hands, placed on a clean surface and read with great care... BORING!

If they were all in a handy bound volume sitting on my bookshelf on the other hand... hm

I'm sure you can see the appeal :)

Slab the 9.8s, bind the readers.

What is it with taking perfectly good comic books and binding them?

It's senseless destruction.

-slym

I came around to the idea. Having rediscovered comics in recent years I dug out my old longboxes and had a browse through my teenage-acquired Copper collection. I was a careful collector - all bagged and boarded - but I realised that 99% of these 20 year old books I'd so carefully stored were all but worthless. The good stuff in raw NM might fetch a dollar a book. Whoop-de-doo.

I would still love to read them, but the process is too offputting. Each book has to be extracted from its box, carefully debagged (avoiding tape pulls) and handled with freshly washed and dried hands, placed on a clean surface and read with great care... BORING!

If they were all in a handy bound volume sitting on my bookshelf on the other hand... hm

I'm sure you can see the appeal :)

Slab the 9.8s, bind the readers.

(thumbs u

Great binding. Who did these for you and what was the turnaround time and cost ?

I made a thread when I got them, here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=3046958&Searchpage=3&Main=154965&Words=%2Bhell+%2Bbound&topic=0&Search=true#Post3046958

I think the details are in there.

Blasphemy!!

hbbound123.jpg

:cloud9:

How much does it cost to get these bound like this? I've seen it done, and have thought of doing it with, say, my undercopy run of Miracleman. :)

Edit: That'll teach me to reply before I refresh a thread.

Thanks, i read the thread, so what did the final total actually come to for the 3 bound editions, as at that point you did not have the invoice yet ?

It came to about £23 per volume PLUS a one off £40 or so for the Hellblazer logo stamp. That logo had to be cut into a die stamp which they now keep for any subsequent volumes.

From what I've seen there are binders in the US that do the job for considerably less, but here in the UK this is about as good a deal as I've seen, and the results were worth it.

My Preacher beaters would look very nice in those...

If you could PM me the details again (and the details of that canvas) I'd be eternally grateful (worship)