• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are comics for nerds?

Are comics for nerds???  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Are comics for nerds???

92 posts in this topic

I was a brain. My high school was pretty cool...it was pretty small (graduating class of 130), everyone got along pretty well: jocks, brains, nerds, etc. But it's all a blur. I got to college, discovered beer and fraternities, and women, and comics went by the wayside. 25 years later I'm back buying like a kid though!

I was the loner invisible kid. Everyone thought I was a brain because I never hung around the stoners or anything but I never did homework. I was so anti-school I even snuck out of my physical ed class for an entire year and the coach never reported it, just gave me an incomplete. I do wish i had more interest in learning back then as I do now. But that's how some kids are during their high school years.

hm Let me think way way back in high school and I was...oh wait I

didn't go very often. (shrug)

I was a trouble making smart-azz who partied every weekend

and wasn't afraid to try anything once. I discovered comics late

in life and I guess I turned out okay, minus a few brain cells. :insane:

I transcended all categories...I do not fit neatly into any one of your puny categories... :sumo:
:applause:

+1,Tom is the coolest!!

( A geek is a freak that bites the heads off

chickens in a sideshow act)

I am a NERD

Dear Mr. Vernon,

We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it is that we did wrong. But we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us: in the simplest terms and the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is . . . a brain...and an athlete...and a basket case...a princess...and a criminal.

Does that answer your question?

Sincerely yours,

The Breakfast Club.

Dear Mr. Vernon,

We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it is that we did wrong. But we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us: in the simplest terms and the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is . . . a brain...and an athlete...and a basket case...a princess...and a criminal.

Does that answer your question?

Sincerely yours,

The Breakfast Club.

^^

I lost interest in comics from high school through college and started up again my first year od law school. I had so little interest in comics during high school that a brother of one of my best friends worked at marvel as an assistant editor and occasional letterer and, basically, i could get all the free comics I wanted, and I never took him up on this. Granted, this would have encompassed 1987-1990, so basically I just missed out on the McFarlane stuff and I never would have had the forsight anyway to ask for 25 copies of ASM 300 or Wolverine 1 or whatever else of interest came out during that period.

Was it a "not wanting to look like a nerd" thing? Maybe, I also lost interest in computers in high school too (it was the 80's, it's not like they were critical to a 16 year old then). One big problem with comics was not being able to sell them without getting hosed as I didn't have enough other comic collecting friends to be able to trade or sell for FMV, so, aside from reading them, from a collecting perspective I decided that these were not terribly liquid and I had other things to spend my very limited funds on (beer and pizza, mostly...I mooched pot for the most part). The LCS paid 5 cents practically no matter what you had, if you were lucky, and I was not in a position to do shows and what not. By law school I was thinking more long term and also that I could do shows at that point if I wanted.

As for being a nerd, no...well, I guess in junior high, though certainly not an academic superstar type of nerd! Actually, most worst grades came then. Most of my friends were pretty nerdy....basically, my junior high and high school, if you were not in the minority who went to the elementary school associated with it, it often took years to be let into the "in" crowd, so most of the kids were nerdy. But by freshman year I had transformed myself into a jock and that was the end of that. Before that I was one of the biggest kids in my class anyway, so I didn't get krap from "cool" kids even if I wasn't invited to cool parties and what not. And believe me, I was very popular later on when at 15 I could easily buy beer and liquor without an ID because I looked old enough (this was before NYC got hardcore about this stuff -- now, my wife, who is 36, gets carded!!!). Interestingly, from an academic perspective, as I had more confidence in myself in general, I did a lot better in school.